Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need information on fiance visa  (Read 2330 times)

Re: Need information on fiance visa
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2005, 01:16:16 AM »
well i dont think its gonna be quite that extensive. she just does global field work, arranging interviews with doctors and such all over the world. she does most of the work her self, and her husband helps but they both have vision problems and cant spend to much time in front of the computer. and i have excellent computer skills, although you may not be able to tell that from my lazy typing, lol.

Unfortunately, it really doesn't matter how intensive or easy the work might be.  As Expat said, his Mum will have to demonstrate that no UK or EU nationals are qualified for the job before the Home Office will consider giving you a Visa to do it-and "It's my son's girlfriend" will unfortunately not work with them.  ;)

I'm a little unclear on something, having read your posts here and in the Welcome Wagon-why do you think that a divorce would be so much uglier than breaking up with someone you've only lived with for several years?

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2005, 02:08:05 PM »

I'm a little unclear on something, having read your posts here and in the Welcome Wagon-why do you think that a divorce would be so much uglier than breaking up with someone you've only lived with for several years?

Sort of a related question, but moving to another country is a huge change. There is a lot of adjusting to do, and it can be very hard for some people, as seen by some posts on this website. Why would you go to all this trouble for someone you think you will break up with eventually? If you did find a way to stay in the UK legally, would you want to go back to the US when you and he broke up  ???

• Aradia Dreams
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2005, 07:46:48 PM »
I love change, I love to travel and experience new things  and i can adjust well so moving to England wont be a problem for me. im already quit comfortable with the way of life there and i find it to be much more welcoming than it is here.

a divorce reguires all that legal stuff that can be dragged out for ages, where as a break up is just as simple as "It's over" and u make a clean break. atleast thats how i see it.

as for the other question, its this simple. I love my boyfriend and i will probably love him for a long time but i think realisticlly. Im only 21 and the chances of him being the guy I spend the rest of my life with, not likely. I sincerely hope that me and simon (my bf) have many many more happy years together and thats why im willing to make the sacrifice of moving to england to be with him. although its not much of a sacrifice, becuase i dont really have anything to keep me here.  and me and simon broke up, i wouldnt have anything to keep me in England so yeah i would prob move back to the states.  right now all i care about is being with simon and im sure we will have many happy years together and im really not thinking much further than that. as far as getting married goes, well we both feel like its a ball and chain. no offense to those who are married. however i must admit that im warming up to the idea that it may be a sacrifice i will have to make.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2005, 07:55:48 PM »
If you think of getting married as a sacrifice then you definitely shouldn't be doing it.  If you don't want to get married don't do it just for the sake of a visa.  Maybe you should just continue long distance for a while and see if both your feelings about marriage change as your relationship develops.

• York Interweb
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2005, 10:36:55 PM »
If you think of getting married as a sacrifice then you definitely shouldn't be doing it. 
Definitely.

• Aradia Dreams
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2005, 03:34:01 AM »
If you think of getting married as a sacrifice then you definitely shouldn't be doing it.  If you don't want to get married don't do it just for the sake of a visa.  Maybe you should just continue long distance for a while and see if both your feelings about marriage change as your relationship develops.

thats pretty much my thoughts in the long run. im a very open minded person so i know theres always a chance for things to change. i would never get married to anyone unless its something that i really actually wanted to do. but i also dont like being away from my boyfriend either. its very painful. im sure that a lot of you know exactly what i mean.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2005, 05:14:41 PM »
It's not quite enough to INTEND to get married...you need to show PROOF that you intend to get married.

This is not true.  I have just successfully got a fiance visa for a friend and his fiance and there was no way of proving intention as they have not even decided if it will be a church or a register office wedding.  We just included support letters from friends saying that they have known them for x years and that it is a genuine relationship.  The intent is decided at the interview stage (if there is one) not with documentation, as it is simply not possible to prove.

Victoria

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2005, 05:25:51 PM »
This is not true.  I have just successfully got a fiance visa for a friend and his fiance and there was no way of proving intention as they have not even decided if it will be a church or a register office wedding.  We just included support letters from friends saying that they have known them for x years and that it is a genuine relationship.  The intent is decided at the interview stage (if there is one) not with documentation, as it is simply not possible to prove.

Victoria

Sorry, I'll rephrase...it's not enough to INTEND to get married.  There are lots of people who may say they intend to get married.  You need to be able to show convincing evidence that it is indeed a genuine relationship, that you do intend to get married, and that you will be able to support yourself w/out access to public funds whilst here on a fiance visa.
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005, 05:40:21 PM »
Sorry, I'll rephrase...it's not enough to INTEND to get married. There are lots of people who may say they intend to get married. You need to be able to show convincing evidence that it is indeed a genuine relationship, that you do intend to get married, and that you will be able to support yourself w/out access to public funds whilst here on a fiance visa.

I was just issued a fiancée visa without any evidence of a booking for the wedding (since we don't have any).  My fiancé and I both simply signed a letter stating that we intend to marry in January 2006 at St. James' R.C. Church in St. Andrew's, that we've spoken with the priest there, and that we're waiting until I arrive in order to register at our local parish in London, after which time we can firm-up the date with the priest in Scotland.
The woman at the New York Consulate was fine with this.
Bored

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2005, 06:35:30 PM »
Registry bookings are weak evidence.

Engagement rings (i.e., receipts), the engagement dinner, and newspaper announcements will perform better as evidence.

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2005, 06:46:07 PM »
We couldn't even get a registry booking.  We phoned our local registry office and were told that they would not give us a confirmed booking unless I was there in the UK with a visa for marriage (which I wasn't, at the time, since I was there trying to gather everything up for my appointment  to GET my fiancée visa!)
What a catch-22 that seemed to be!   ::)
But it all worked out fine.   ;D
Bored

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2005, 09:07:26 PM »
Engagement rings (i.e., receipts), the engagement dinner, and newspaper announcements will perform better as evidence.

Yikes!  I'm glad we married when you could still do it off a tourist visa, cuz we couldn't have afforded any of those things.

• York Interweb
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2005, 09:10:45 PM »
I got it with a registry booking. However, my cosponsor letter from my sister said that she was aware that we were getting married and supported our future marriage. We didn't do real wedding planning (buying rings, etc.), till after I'd moved here.

The point, though, is that you should probably have some type of written evidence. Just saying that you plan to get married isn't enough.

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2005, 11:06:31 PM »
I'll have both a ring (got that) and a dress (will have that) by the time I apply, but no booking anywhere, because we're not sure where we want to do it. Which leads me to my question:

Once I enter the UK on a fiance visa, do my partner and I HAVE to get married in the UK, or can we travel someplace else to do it? For example, back to the States?

I know that sounds rather crazy, but there are several reason why we would prefer this. First, there are several people in my family (I'm the US citizen) who are desperately afraid of flying; his family doesn't have this problem. Second, there's the exchange rate. Third, there is a specific place in the US that I would like to do this (where I grew up), but no specific place in the UK that my fiance would prefer -- however this idea might be thwarted by the crappy timing of my move, since it would occur in the northeast, on a boat, and the next six months (I'm moving late October) are really not the best time for that.

Will we be allowed to make a trip outside of the country for the wedding once I'm in? Or will we just have to have to do the deed then have a ceremony later?

Frankly, I'm so fed up with everyone (but us) freaking out about it that I'd like to toss the entire idea out the window and just elope with NO relatives around.

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2005, 11:09:52 PM »
Once I enter the UK on a fiance visa, do my partner and I HAVE to get married in the UK, or can we travel someplace else to do it? For example, back to the States?

If you get a UK fiance visa, you have to get married in the UK. If you plan on getting married in the US then your fiance needs a US fiance visa.

Sponsored Links