Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Now I'm confused...  (Read 517 times)

• Liked: 0
Now I'm confused...
« on: September 16, 2005, 11:43:40 PM »
Jamie and I are going to reside in the UK indefinitly. If I change my last name on my passport to match my married name, do I have to do anything in the US? Do I still have to pay taxes in the US? I don't understand why I would. And would I have to do anything with my SS card? I never thought of any of this before.  ???

• Liked: 0
Re: Now I'm confused...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 12:11:38 AM »
  I would change my name on all legal documents in the US if I were you.
  From what I understand as an American citizen you will still need to file for taxes each year, depending on you situation you MAY have to pay some taxes though from those I know who live in the UK, they never have had to.

Only Time will tell.. it's just too bad she's a closed mouth B**!!!

• Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 01:18:34 PM »
If your name is changed on your passport and you'll be working under your married name here (whether your passport is changed or not -- mine isn't, but I work under my married name), you'll need to change the name on your SS card.  If you make more than $80k here, you're more likely to have to pay taxes.  I file US taxes every year, whether I've met the $80k threshold or not.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 01:36:09 PM by Lola »

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 01:24:42 PM »
i'm an idiot and did my taxed based in my maried name-so i had ammend my taxes to my maiden name.  i need to change my ss card when i go home in a few weeks.  bad amy!!!

Sponsored Links