Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hair in the UK  (Read 5779 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Hair in the UK
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 05:10:58 PM »
I was just remarking to my husband today that I simply do not get the hair gel thing over here. A little bit is fine, but we tend to see people with it caked on so thickly I can't imagine anyone of the opposite sex might want to run their hands through it. It gives me the shivers, and we just chalked it up as another sign I'm getting old. ;)

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2004, 05:50:34 PM »
-- I couldnt get over the girls that would spend a long time on straightening their hair with an iron. I told them to work their curls or waves-- I would kill for some wave in my hair!  :D

Yes, the hair straighteners!  The ultimate xmas gift.  Loads of women spend a lot of time with those things.  Remember watching that Becks 'in our own words' or something with Posh straightening her hair for a long good while. 

I do read that 'curls are back!' here so maybe less of those straighteners.

This is what I'm talking about:

LOVE Sienna's hair.  Gorgeous.  But WTF with Jude?  He is heavenly to look at but his hair!  Crikey.

'Nother example:

Mick's hair.  Ugh.

Another popular look that I don't care for:

More gel:

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2004, 08:35:40 PM »
hmmmm I can't say I can find anything wrong with Jude Law's hair.  It looks great to me.  So does whatshisname, sorry I can't remember it at the moment.  I agree with onetiger, I like a man who takes some time with his appearance and is a bit more creative than what is normally seen in the US.  I'm from NYC, so maybe I'm just used to seeing lots of different looks.  I don't mind the two tone thing that a lot of women are doing.  My hair is salt and pepper with the white underneath and the dark on top so it's kind of similar.

pcb

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2004, 09:03:10 PM »
too much hair product on a guy is just... yuck. But a little gel can look good if done right.  I tend to like a slightly mussed look on a guy... especially my guy with his hair still damp from the bath... sigh
Maroon Passport Club!

• Hiya
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2004, 11:56:45 PM »
Hmmm....I like a lot of the hairdos on the guys in the UK, I mean I don't like those that look like they put a whole tube of gel in their hair but I like the messed up gel look. ;)  Guess I'm also in the minority in thinking that straight hair looks nice.  Now I'm a bit biased as I have stick straight hair, but I love the ironed straight hair look. :)

That being said, I love nothing more than beautiful curly hair, and wish I was lucky enough to have it.  But what's with the anti-straight hair thing? hehe :D

The two tone hair coloring can look very nice, especially like how vnicepeeps got hers done to look like.  I've been tempted to do it, but it'll be a while before I'm that brave. ;)  Plus I think it looks nice with reds and brunettes, but not the dark brunette hair underneath with bleach blonde on top.

The thing that bothers me is the electric blonde hair and lots of fake baking that occurs. ;)

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2004, 12:04:58 AM »
The thing that bothers me is the electric blonde hair and lots of fake baking that occurs. ;)

Mmmm!  ;)
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2004, 05:18:50 AM »
I absolutely love Jude's hair! It's my favorite style on a guy. I wish that look would catch on in the States. Could live without the Mick Jagger look, though. *blech*

• Hiya
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2004, 06:55:53 AM »
I absolutely love Jude's hair! It's my favorite style on a guy. I wish that look would catch on in the States. Could live without the Mick Jagger look, though. *blech*

Totally agree hehehe....Jude Law is scrummy....Mick Jagger isn't my cup of tea. ;) lol

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2004, 08:08:18 AM »
Thanks Krissy! :-* I liked it too... too bad I don't iron it all the time or it would look cool most days...

I actually like my curly hair... while it's not as sophisticated and sleek and all that.. it's me...bouncy, happy and never the same twice!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2004, 11:28:04 PM »

I hope i don't offend, I really do

The reason men in the U.K use numerous hair products is because they take pride in their personal apperance.  There particular style might not be to your personal liking but as it is their hair surly it should be left up to them how they style it.

On the subject of haircuts i recently visit your country and all i can say is people in glass houses should not throw stones.

If you do hate the haircuts/styles in the U.K i can only suggest that you have a problem with your vision.  You are probably aware by now how helpful British men can be, so i have included a web address of a good optician newcomer link: http://www.specsavers.co.uk [nonactive]

PLEASE MAKE A APPOINTMENTMENT URGENTLY   

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2004, 11:36:35 PM »
I think it's really a matter of culture and regional likes and dislikes...nothing to do with poor eyesite.  Growing up in the country, all the boys/men have hair styles very similar to every other red-neck hunting/farming commuity in the states.  The "city" folk tend to have more "trendy" styles...and I don't care for them.  Because I grew up with a certain look, my knees will buckle when I see a guy with just the right haircut and a proper red-neck beard.  (Throw a pair of Carharts and a hickery shirt on him and I melt!)

Yes.  The hair cuts and styles are different in the UK (and all of Europe) but so it the dress code, the cars, the houses and the food.  It's not so much throwing stones at glass houses as it is pointing out the differences.

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2004, 01:02:22 AM »
Not bothering with my original post; its not worth it................. ::)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 01:33:09 AM by ny_2_uk »
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2004, 07:13:16 AM »

I hope i don't offend, I really do

The reason men in the U.K use numerous hair products is because they take pride in their personal apperance. There particular style might not be to your personal liking but as it is their hair surly it should be left up to them how they style it.

On the subject of haircuts i recently visit your country and all i can say is people in glass houses should not throw stones.

If you do hate the haircuts/styles in the U.K i can only suggest that you have a problem with your vision. You are probably aware by now how helpful British men can be, so i have included a web address of a good optician www.specsavers.co.uk

PLEASE MAKE A APPOINTMENTMENT URGENTLY

Hi Ayellowcar and welcome to the forum.  Before any more feelings get hurt, let me just explain a little about how our community works.  As you know, the US and the UK are vastly different cultures.  And as expats, some are those differences are going to make us laugh, some are going to amaze us and some are going to frustrate the hell out of us.  It's just part of the whole expat experience.  Now, I truly believe that a part of suceeding as an expat is keeping your mouth shut-around British people.  We can't sound off to our spouses, friends, or co-workers.  They might not get what we're talking about, they may not agree or they might take offence.  That's why this website is a Godsend for some people.  They can moan and exclaim and ask questions.  And the rest of us understand-we may not all agree and sometimes  we may offer a different way of looking at it.  And, yes, often we'll give a great big 'I KNOW!'.  And it makes us all feel better. 
Don't get me wrong-endless sniping and criticism aren't something that we tolerate, but the occasional vent or comment is something that we understand.
Now, I'm not saying that you're not welcome here, of course you are.  We welcome everybody.  You can offer a unique insight and we invite you to become a part of our community.  Just remember that it is a community.   A community that has lots of different people from different walks of life.  There are ALOT of opinions going around.  Most people don't mean to offend, but just as a little advise, you may want to grow a thicker skin while you're reading this stuff. 
 :)

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2004, 07:18:52 AM »
Now can we all get back to talking about the important things in life-Jude Law and hair.   ;)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2004, 08:06:38 AM »
Well said, Mindy. When I first moved across I was struck by the differences...not because I didn't like them, I was just surprised there were differences! My pointing things out were more just "did you notice what I noticed?" rather than "eeeeeewwww, they do it all wrong". We all have opinions of like and dislike. My own gripe about hair? That men shave down to a mere stubble! What's up with that?!? I thought that was a totally British thing and was ready to blame them all for having no taste...that is until my (American) son came to visit.

He's got no hair either.  :-[

I've chilled from an "us and them" thing having been here for seven years now. Frankly, my memory confuses..."was it American?"..."was it British?"... I look more now to just plain ole personal likes and dislikes. No matter where people live and no matter what color skin/religion, stuff like that. But it's all very easy for us to be here and blame it on culture...because we're so new to it, the new exposure to it, easy to say it's a "British" thing, whether it's to our individual taste or not.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab