Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Under-arm flab  (Read 1522 times)

Under-arm flab
« on: March 19, 2004, 09:09:29 PM »
Hi Ladies & Gents,

I bet a lot of you have this problem. I work out three to five times a week at the gym--about a half hour of cardio work (precor) and another half hour of lifting weights. Also, in addition I do yoga and bellydancing about three times a week.

Since January the results have been pretty good---I have lost two stone :D and tonned up quite nicely. BUT....though I have gained a lot of strength in my arms and muscles on the top the flab remains >:( underneath.

I had my Mum look at it today and she thought it might be extra skin or fat that might not burn away. She even suggested looking into liposuction---do most American insurance plans cover that or is it considered cosmetic? (My Dad is covered under "United," it's really good.)

Better yet, is there anything I am really missing in terms of lifting weights? I have two 10lbs ones here at home with me...suggestions welcome.

I am pretty happy with my body---I am miss curvy very  much the "hour glass" shape...large bust, small waist and out for rounded thighs and bum...lol! YET, I would love to wear spaghetti strap shirts in London this summer.

Thanks so much for your help,

Samantha*** :)

Re: Under-arm flab
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 11:35:03 PM »
Just my own personal opinion, but..

Getting liposuction so you feel sexier in a tank top seems completely unnecessary.  There are specific exercises designed to work that area of the body.  Have a look online if you haven't already.  And, if you have tried without luck, then I'm not sure what else to suggest, other than maybe to learn to live with it?  You sound relatively healthy and it seems considering liposuction would be like having a full-body cast put on for a paper cut, know what I mean?

I'm sure you look great nonetheless.  Enjoy your summer in England, they're fantastic :)

• this is dedicated to the one i love
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 12:40:18 AM »
FYI - health insurance will never cover any kind of cosmetic surgery, which liposuction is.  The only plastic surgeries it will cover are those that are for explicit medical necessity - such as a breast reduction to ease or prevent damage to your back, or something like gastro intestinal bypass is you are, as they say, "morbidly" obese.

Im with Terinth - liposuction seems a bit over the top for a bit of arm flab.  I just deal with my arm flab, but maybe you could get advice from a trainer at the gym or look at some of the millions of fitness websites.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 12:40:57 AM by lizabeth »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 05:21:17 AM »
http://www.pageantrymagazine.com/c03fitnesswebed.html

this is similar to what we used in my toning classes and they work well

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 07:34:07 AM »
Thanks everyone for your imput so far! :) Thank you Missy for the link :D

I agree that liposuction is a big time drastic step for something like arm flab, and since insurance won't cover it, its not something I am really considering at the moment. I enjoy lifting weights and have pretty much come to the conclusion that my underarms will need to get extra attention.

The whole idea seems rather vain to me too BUT...we aren't talking about a little flab here...maybe 3+ inches of really thick fat when I pull on my arm. I really have no idea where it came from either! :-X I Also, I think I am like most women in that I carry my fat in three main places: underarms and stomach! >:(

In any case I am just going to keep working on it and see what happens...but cannot help that like most other 20 year old women I want to hit those tanks when the weather gets warm [smiley=sunny.gif]

If I come accrossed any really good links on this topic I'll be sure to share them.

Samantha*** ;D

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 10:46:51 AM »
You seem to be under some sort of impression that it is going to be warm enough for spaghetti strap vests in London this summer!?

(just joking... you never know... it could be warm enough!)  ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 10:51:50 AM by Broxi »

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 11:49:16 AM »
You seem to be under some sort of impression that it is going to be warm enough for spaghetti strap vests in London this summer!?

(just joking... you never know... it could be warm enough!)  ;)

Oh, Broxi.  You're up there with the parkas and the wool jumpers.   :)  Down South, girls wear spaghetti strap vests and micro minis all year round.   ::) :o  Although, they will occasionially put a scarf on with them.   ;)

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 05:27:24 PM »
I was about to say, last time I was in London it was up around 90.  I mean, that's almost winer-like conditions for a Phoenix-girl, but it was quite warm.  Especially not being able to escape into a room with A/C ;)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 06:00:05 AM »
Missy...as I was reading this thread I was trying to think how I would word the exercise I wanted to describe. And then I clicked on your link. Triceps Kick Back! That's it!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links