Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Quick and easy but urgent question!  (Read 576 times)

• all married n' stuff
  • Liked: 0
Quick and easy but urgent question!
« on: August 21, 2008, 03:16:33 PM »
Biometrics were done yesterday, and I was supposed to send out my student visa application, but the courier very strongly recommended that I wait until I get a quick and easy e-mail from my university.  I am missing an official end date, which did not come on my offer letter, and the start date was on a big general list of all the courses.  I included that list, and a printout of course information that says it is three years.  The courier said that she had a girl just last week ignore her advice to get it in a letter or e-mail addressed to her specifically, and the three day turnover turned into three weeks.  My problem is, my university is not helping at all!  I have spent more time pleading on the phone and e-mailing than it would take them to check some dates and send the info to me from an official address!

What can I do!?!
If you can't say something nice, say something constructive.  If you can't say something nice or constructive, go away.

Re: Quick and easy but urgent question!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 03:25:04 PM »
That's big time misbehaviour for a courier, they are not supposed to do that.  I know that's not what you were looking for, but if you think your app has deficiencies, it's not down to the courier to try and fix them.

• all married n' stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 03:41:02 PM »
Yikes.  Well, aproppriate or not, I think I maybe more comfortable waiting for an e-mail, I just wish somebody at my uni would send it over!  One sentence is all I need!  :(
If you can't say something nice, say something constructive.  If you can't say something nice or constructive, go away.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 03:41:17 PM »
Does the letter say 'this is a three year course'?

Have you paid your deposit on fees?

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 03:50:49 PM »
Who have you been talking to at the Uni? The general admissions people? You might have more luck contacting the international student office, who would be sympathetic and might be able to make inquires in your behalf. Also, is this for grad or undergrad?

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 03:53:26 PM »
I just looked at your profile and am guessing it's a grad program. In that case, why not contact the department directly (rather than the general grad admissions office, if that is who you've been contacting)? The director of the grad program or, better, a secretary in the grad office who is capable of getting things done might be able to type up a simple letter and get it signed.

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 04:02:51 PM »
Is this something you need in official writing? Because if not, you can look it up yourself on the university website (term/semester dates calendar). Just off the top of my head, if it's a three-year course, which starts in September 2008, then your degree end date will be June or July 2011 (whenever your university has it's official graduation for that year). I haven't actually seen anyone mention needing an official end date for their visa application in the past, but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure if it works in the same way for UK student visas, but when I applied for my US student visa last year, I just guessed the end date (December 2012... although having spent a semester there this year, I realised it would probably be closer to 2014 by the time I finished!). However, in actual fact, my visa was valid for the 'Duration of Status', so even if I was still enrolled as a full-time student after the date printed on my visa had passed, I would still legally be in the country on a student visa. It's only if I drop below the required class registration and am 'out of student status' (which I have now done because I've moved back to the UK) that the visa ceases to be valid.

• all married n' stuff
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »
Vicky - No.  The letter states that I am accepted into X course, and I printed out the course description from the webside which says X course is three years.  I have not paid, as nothing is due until October.

Retro - I have been e-mailing a North American representative for months, who has been very helpful but is on holiday.  Recently I was sent to records who are extremely unhelpful.  I will be contacting my department head now though!

Ksand - I think I do need it in official writing.  I did put June 2011 in my cover letter as the end of my course though.

Thanks for the help!  It's still bright and early here, hopefully I can get my application FedExed this afternoon!

• all married n' stuff
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 07:00:18 PM »
OK...  Have a feeling I am not going to get anything back today, although I finally got an answer and an e-mail and letter will probably go out tomorrow.  If I just send the e-mail with my application tomorrow (original letter won't get here until Monday if I'm really lucky), I should get everything back by next Thursday if they are OK with an e-mail from my university in addition to the offer letter.  I fly out Sunday.  I hope.  I know it's all a gamble, but I'm leaning towards sending it with the e-mail first thing tomorrow, and then scanning and sending the letter if I get it in time, because then at least I have a chance at keeping my original flight.

Any thoughts?  Advice as always greatly appreciated!

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 07:15:00 PM »
Who is the email from?

Why not beg someone to scan the letter and send it as a pdf? This shouldn't be that difficult for them to do, given the circumstances. You could then print out the pdf, which would look better than merely an email.

• all married n' stuff
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 07:31:13 PM »
Who is the email from?

Why not beg someone to scan the letter and send it as a pdf? This shouldn't be that difficult for them to do, given the circumstances. You could then print out the pdf, which would look better than merely an email.

That is what the guy from the international office offered to do, but even though I replied YES instantly after watching my computer like a hawk all morning, I have not heard anything in two hours.  It's late there, so I am assuming I'll wake up to it.  Hopefully...

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab