Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Worried about getting passports back in time  (Read 808 times)

• Liked: 0
Worried about getting passports back in time
« on: August 21, 2008, 10:23:05 PM »
I'm hoping for some advise/suggestions on our situation as I'm worrying myself sick at the moment.

Myself and my American husband recently sent his FLR(M) application with both our passports on the 24th July which should be a straight forward application. The problem is that my parents have booked us on a trip abroad on the 5th September and not wanting to let them down I'm getting more and more concerned that we will not get our passports back in time.

It's now been 20 days and with every day I just get more concerned especially hearing that it can take up to 8 weeks for some applications. We're thinking of writing a letter to UK Border Agency to explain our situation and ask for progress on getting our passports back.

I would be grateful to hear anyone's suggestions or if they've received their Passports back very recently how long it took.

Re: Worried about getting passports back in time
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 10:28:44 PM »
I'm sure you won't run into this problem, but the Home Office recently kept my sister's passport for 8 months. She is a Canadian citizen married to an Italian citizen, and has lived in the UK for 7 years. When she applied recently for a renewal or whatever of her status, they sent back a note asking her to provide proof that her husband was exercising his EU treaty rights (or whatever it's called). All in all, they had her passport 8 months, which seems to me terribly incompetent.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 10:41:10 PM »
our case should be more straightforward than that hopefully as I'm a British Citizen and my husband's been living here with me for 2 years. The only reason we've had to apply for an FLR(M) rather than an ILR is that we didn't realise he had to take the new Life in the UK test until it was too late.

The only notification we've had from the HO is the standard letter saying our application's been passed to a caseworker which was sent to us a couple of days after we sent the paperwork in.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 12:51:49 AM »
EU applications always take at least six months.

Everything else is running at 4-6.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 03:36:19 AM »
I can understand an application taking 4 to 6 months, but I can't understand how they could hold onto someone's passport so long. In certain lines of work a passport is absolutely crucial.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 06:33:22 AM »
I can understand an application taking 4 to 6 months, but I can't understand how they could hold onto someone's passport so long. In certain lines of work a passport is absolutely crucial.

I think Victoria meant 4-6 weeks.   (For EU applications that actually do take 6 months, you're allowed to get your passport back in the interim if you need to travel, but for other applications with shorter processing times you can't do that.)

My recent FLR(M) application didn't take very long at all- the actual visa was issued 10 days from application and I had my passport back within 2 weeks.  But I understand that was exceptionally fast and they usually do take about 4 weeks to come back.

Caroline81-  there's definitely still a chance you may get your passports back in time, but you might not.  Unfortunately, requesting a passport back for a FLR(M) application is the same thing as withdrawing the application- you'll lose your money, and obviously there'll be no new visa. So probably best to hope you get your passport back in time, but if not try to rearrange the trip for another occasion.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:38:00 AM by springhaze »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 08:59:48 AM »
I just wanted to say I sent my ILR the day before the OP sent their FLR and I have yet to hear anything back. The HO did say on the letter saying it was processing, that if you urgently need your passport you could call them, however I'm not sure what constitutes any URGENT need - I doubt just going on holiday would.

If it's any consulation, I'm hoping to have my passport back before that date. One of my friends (Valerian on here) sent her ILR on July 12th and just got her's back on Wednesday I believe (the 20th August). So that's around 28 working days? Working with that time frame (I'm not sure if FLR's usually process at the same rate) I'm expecting mine to arrive around 1 September.

I know there are no guarentees (I can't spell), but with that time frame in mind you may just get your passports back in time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:03:47 AM by PrincessJuls02 »
Juls xx

Arrived in the UK on spousal visa: 19/08/06
Posted ILR Application 23/7/08
ILR app arrival at UKIBA & Fee Taken: 24/7/08
ILR issued: 29/8/08
ILR arrived here: 03/09/08

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 12:06:29 PM »

I guess i just hate the waiting and not knowing. I wonder if it's worth writing to them or phoning the number mentioned on the letter sent to ask on progress of the application. I obviously wouldn't want them to send back the passports before the visa is finallised.

Has anyone had any experience getting progress reports on their app, my worry is that I wouldn't want it to delay it any further.

Plus could anyone let me know how the passports are usually delivered i.e. royal mail, parcelforce and if they deliver on Saturdays?

thanks everyone for your help.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 12:47:11 PM »
I honestly don't think it's worth calling them, they won't be able to tell you anything.

When I applied for my COA and FLR(M), our passports were returned via Royal Mail Recorded signed for, which can be delivered on Saturdays.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 02:54:17 PM »
It's only been 20 days!!!!  You can't chase this until it has been at least 2 months!

(And I did mean 4-6 weeks, thanks springhaze).

Vicky

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 06:01:09 PM »
Sorry Vicky, I know I must seem ridiculously impatient but it’s an important trip that has already been booked for us.  I’d just like to know for certain either way so I can start making arrangements.

I’ve actually spoken to someone at the UKBA today. He told me there is a target where most completed FLR’s are returned within 20 days but if they’re not received at that point the next action point is 14 weeks. I asked if the passports could arrive in between 4-14 weeks but he said no, the likely hood is that if you haven’t received it after 4 weeks you’re not going to get anything until the 14 week mark as that’s they’re next target.  It sounds ridiculous but is there any truth to this?    The 4-6 weeks processing time that you’re estimating, it that the latest you’ve know for uncomplicated cases?

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 06:29:48 PM »
Let us know when you do get it back caroline81.

I am the wife of a US citizen and we sent his off on the 1st of August and not had ours back yet ( less than 20 days I know ) but this thread has got me slightly anxious now.  We need it to come back as soon as possible because he has some job interviews lined up and we could really use another income as its tough on just the one  :-[

I take it when you say that its uncomplicated that you are a Brit Citizen from birth and there are no kiddies involved??

Well, thats our situation anyway.  We are starting to feel the pinch and after you get married your supposed to be in your "honeymoon phase" which is hard to do with no cash!

Anyway..keep us posted  :)
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

Sponsored Links