Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Please help me! URGENT! British consulate NY visa help  (Read 590 times)

• Liked: 0
Please help me! URGENT! British consulate NY visa help
« on: August 25, 2008, 05:13:31 PM »
Ok, the British Consulate in NY received my application for the Post-Study Work Visa on August 4th.

It says on their website that the usual processing time for visas is 5 working days, but is now 13 working days because it's a peak period.

Today is the 16th working day that they've had my application. I haven't heard a thing from them, except confirmation that they received it.

My flight is TOMORROW NIGHT. I'm supposed to be starting a new job next Monday in London.

What the *bleep* am I supposed to do? Is there ANY WAY at all to speak to a REAL person regarding the status of my application?

How can they justify taking people's passports and $430 off them, and then giving them no way to follow-up on the status of their application? What am I supposed to do, just wait for months and see if maybe they decide to follow through? I am completely dumbfounded by their practices.

What can I do?

Re: Please help me! URGENT! British consulate NY visa help
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 05:28:47 PM »
Is there ANY WAY at all to speak to a REAL person regarding the status of my application?

Nope, not under these circumstances anyway.

pretty much all you can do is wait.  Visas from the US are taking roundabout 20 days or more right now.  I doubt it'll take months (that would be *extremely* unusual for the US), you'll probably have it within the next couple of weeks at most. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:33:26 PM by springhaze »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 05:35:14 PM »
Is that twenty days from the date they received my application or the date they confirmed that they received it?

It was delivered to their office on August 4th (confirmed by USPS), but they didn't email me until August 13th, saying it could take "up to 20 days".

Up to 20 days could mean either August 29th or September 9th, depending on how they calculate it. :S

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 05:38:26 PM »
Is that twenty days from the date they received my application or the date they confirmed that they received it?

I don't know- the consulates are inconsistent as to the timing of the "documents received" email so it's not an accurate barometer of anything, really.  I'd probably err on the side of caution and stop worrying about it until September 9th- I think chances are fairly good that you'll have your visa by then.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:40:02 PM by springhaze »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• http://www.paoperations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:35:44 PM »
I would call and try and change your ticket so you do not waste the ticket you have as well.

Good Luck

Indy
I hope we get better weather with the new year I am getting rained out.

Good luck to everyone with respective visa applications.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 06:50:04 PM »
Aww what an unfortunate circumstance. That's why its usually not recommended that you book your flight until the visa is in hand. I hope you can change your flight easily.  Good luck.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links