Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A small vent, but annoying nonetheless  (Read 2997 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: A small vent, but annoying nonetheless
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 03:05:49 PM »
SoS, I met Persephone at a meetup and basically her husband has 20 Americans who are DYING to go somewhere and sit in the back of the truck - just like the good ol days!  We can all ride in one car!!   ;D

• Liked: 5
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 04:38:27 PM »
I bought a copy of what is essentially an encyclopedia of the 'songs, stories and folklore of the American people' so my future children can grow up with some of the stories I did. I plan to display it prominently on my coffee table. I'm pretty sure my fiance already has plans to hide it whenever we have guests.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 04:41:51 PM »
SoS, I met Persephone at a meetup and basically her husband has 20 Americans who are DYING to go somewhere and sit in the back of the truck - just like the good ol days!  We can all ride in one car!!   ;D

You know...I would have done that a few years ago...and would have loved it. Now I'd probably throw my hip out climbing over the tailgate.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 05:10:57 PM »
You know...I would have done that a few years ago...and would have loved it. Now I'd probably throw my hip out climbing over the tailgate.

No you wouldn't.  We'd give you a boost!

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 02:52:12 PM »
I'm also one of those people who asks anyone with a North American accent if they're American. I did get the "Uh, no I'm Canadian" response the other day, but oh well. There are so few of us up here in the Northeast that I just get really excited! I agree with Persephone, life's too short to write off people just because they come from a particular place.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2016, 07:28:00 AM »
They all talk American English like they are from Texas   what's that all about ? I mean the people from the UK , not the Americans
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 03:16:46 PM by scotland09 »

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 09:14:28 AM »
I just feel like an a-hole when I accuse a Canadian of being American. But it may be in my head. Because if someone asks if I am Canadian....it doesn't bother me a bit.

One issue I have is that Americans all speak the same now pretty much.....with a few exceptions. So I can't gauge where they are from..
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 585
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 09:41:35 AM »
And those who like to think they are the ONLY ONE who can experience their life. 

I AM the ONLY ONE experiencing my life!  :)

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2016, 09:45:07 AM »
I AM the ONLY ONE experiencing my life!  :)

Lol!  Very true!   ;D

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2016, 09:48:33 AM »
Strangely, I am in the 'run a mile when you hear an American accent' camp. I do have something about Americans who have just moved over - not about presenting America badly, but just being a bit annoying by their ignorance of life here. I tend to get a bit defensive of Britain!

I don't think I'm quite in the 'run a mile' club, but I certainly don't approach Americans to chat, or get excited when I hear an American voice/accent.

I guess it's because I have lived in the UK for longer than I lived in the US, and I just don't really 'feel' American in any way, and I no longer see it as part of my identity.  (unless someone points out my weird hybrid accent!)  ;)

My British passport is my most important possession!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:51:02 AM by Albatross »

• Liked: 82
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 09:42:37 PM »
Mmmm I'm the same. I treat American accents like any other accent, I don't approach just for the heck of it. And I loathe when people try to introduce me to their American friends thinking we'd immediately be the best of mates as we are both American...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 06:29:30 AM »
Mmmm I'm the same. I treat American accents like any other accent, I don't approach just for the heck of it. And I loathe when people try to introduce me to their American friends thinking we'd immediately be the best of mates as we are both American...

Snap!
In my earliest days here, I worked in the scullery of an Italian restaurant, peeling spuds and washing pots.  Every time an American customer came in, I was summoned from the basement to the dining room to make small-talk with the tourists.  It was awkward, and I hated it! 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 06:41:20 AM by Albatross »

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2016, 08:02:20 AM »
Snap!
Every time an American customer came in, I was summoned from the basement to the dining room to make small-talk with the tourists.  It was awkward, and I hated it!

Good lord...I can see a skit show..

Signore Paolo: Hey Albatross, come quick, I have a table of Americans upstairs, no?
Albatross: But I have to finish....
Signore Paolo: Oh and push the Piccata...it's starting to get a skin on it...

• Liked: 223
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2016, 08:41:25 AM »

Yes!!! This annoys me so much. Of course, I can be friends with Americans, but I don't want to feel forced to be their bestie!

I don't think I'm quite in the 'run a mile' club, but I certainly don't approach Americans to chat, or get excited when I hear an American voice/accent.

I don't run a mile (we live in London so American tourists are everywhere), but when I first moved here and when I travelled around Europe, I'll admit I eavesdropped on Americans I came across. ::)

I only remember striking up a few conversations with Americans - once because I saw a couple eating Trader Joe's trail mix. ;) Turned out they were from my hometown! :D

My British passport is my most important possession!

Ditto! [smiley=deal2.gif]

Although, I was a bit saddened when my dad (jokingly) said that since I have a UK passport now, I'm more British than American. :\\\'(

C'mon, man, I'm still American!!!! [smiley=hat.gif] :)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 11:28:30 AM »

Agree!! 
I've got a fair number of American friends in the UK, mostly from this forum and and facebook expat groups, but not really any locally. And that's fine. I know Americans locally and we may say hello, but that's that.

I never know if I hear an accent ,from wherever, if they actually live here or if they're a tourist, so I never presume anything!!  If someone asks me where I'm from, my default is "I'm originally from America, but I've lived here over 8 years." (Change the years over time, hahaha to meet whatever it is at the moment)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links