Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How Many Other HATE...WINDOWS VISTA??????????? I do!!!  (Read 3186 times)

• Liked: 0
How Many Other HATE...WINDOWS VISTA??????????? I do!!!
« on: August 29, 2009, 12:27:52 PM »
Vista is worse than a waste of time and money. It's a burden. I depend on MS Office for a living, sadly, and I do not appreciate the slowness of Vista, the difficulty of moving open windows around quickly (why the hell is this harder now?) and absurd design mistakes. For example, with XP, you could copy/replace a folder from a memory stick onto desktop in a single command, Yes to all. Vista makes you tick off every item in the folder. If it contains 100 items, that's 100 clicks. It's hard to believe such a cretinous mistake could be deliberately built into this monster. Vista offers me nothing new but fancy graphic features, and these soon turn out to be less clear and harder to live with than XP's simple monochrome lines. As far as I am concerned, Vista is a design disaster and a productivity killer. I have gone back to my XP Express!! Just hate this!!

• Liked: 2
Re: How Many Other HATE...WINDOWS VISTA??????????? I do!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 12:36:26 PM »
The only experience I have of Vista is trying to sort my neighbor's computer. Gah, what a DOG! How on earth did Microsoft release that thing? Is there anything Vista is better for?

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 01:03:09 PM »
Gaming.

Vista's memory hog issues are only a problem on systems with low memory capacity.  On my laptop, I have 4gigs ddr2 ram , and a video card that pulls from it's own memory capacity and not the general pool.   

And while I feel the cancel/allow and permissions system to be a bit of a pain, I can understand why they are in place.  Too many PC users dont take the needed precautions against viruses and downloading dodgy programs. But of course, having a pop up that one click's blindly without thinking twice doesnt solve anything either ^_^

Just playing the devils advocate... because im a hardcoree PC. my gaming habit requires me to be lol.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 01:10:58 PM »
I was recently forced to buy a new computer, and it has Vista Home Premium on it.  Like Navie, I've got 4GB of RAM, and it works pretty well. 

My daughter's 2-year-old laptop has Vista Home Basic, and that is much worse.  I had to max it out to 2GB of RAM to get it running decently.  It crawled using the 512MB RAM it came with.

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 01:14:07 PM »
I HATE it.

I'm desperate to find someone to wipe this laptop and install XP on it.

It is not about to update, probably because there isn't enough memory and there is nothing on this laptop, not even photos or music or even MS Office.

I can't afford to put more memory on this thing, either, we really can't now.

I absolutely hate it.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 01:20:45 PM »
My Home Premium runs just fine and is not slow, and I do find the graphics actually quite beautiful to look at.

But I hate all the permission pop ups, and there's something about some differences in folder and file organisation that I hate but I can't put my finger on what's different from XP in this particular area. I think I've forgotten exactly what XP used to have, regarding the Documents handling, that Vista has "improved" upon, all I know is there's something now that drives me crazy with that.
*Repatriated Brit undergoing culture shock with the rest of you!*

• Liked: 163
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 01:30:37 PM »
But I hate all the permission pop ups....

Me too.  I downloaded a freeware program called Tweak UAC that allows you to turn them off.  I have no idea what sort of heartache I may have left myself open to, but I've been running it for nearly 2 years without any problems.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,67530-order,6-page,1/description.html

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 01:53:38 PM »
I don't think the heartache will be much -- all the pop ups I've had have been about something I know to be completely safe and kosher. I don't think I've ever yet had to kill permission on an unknown or obviously trojan intruder. The Vista permission warnings seem to me to be overkill. You'll probably be fine turning them off -- I've heard that many people do, even the most highly tech-savvy. They just make sure they have a great firewall, malware software, and a safe browser, and apparently they're fine.
*Repatriated Brit undergoing culture shock with the rest of you!*

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 01:55:01 PM »
Vista is a pain; I dislike it immensely.  

The good news is I don't often have to deal with it.  Only when I need to run Access.  The rest of the time I use the wonderfully elegant and certainly not a pain ars* Mac.  :)
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 01:56:47 PM »
I've had Vista Home Premium for just over 2 years now, and the main thing that bothers me about it is how long it takes to start up and how slow it can be when opening programs etc. (oh, and those annoying permission pop-ups).

Other than that, I haven't had too many problems with it - I haven't come across having to tick off items in a folder before transferring them though... that's only happened if there is already a file in the destination folder with the same name as a file I want to transfer. Otherwise, I just drag and drop the files/folders and they copy/transfer as normal.

I would reformat the drive and switch back to XP, but I have so many files and programs installed on the laptop now that I can't be bothered to uninstall and then re-install everything and transfer all the files back afterwards. Actually, if I could afford it, I would probably switch to a Macbook instead, but the prices are so high that I'm gonna have to stick with Vista for now.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
I love my Vista Home Premium, we've had it for a year and just got the Service Pack 2 about 2 months ago...we have an HP Pavillion with a 1.8GHz Intel Pentium Dual Core processor and 2 gig RAM and have no problems, loads quick and it's never slow unless our AVG free is doing a scan. One recommendation tho, is if you have Norton is get rid of it, it SLOWS it WAAAY down. We had speed issues when we first got it and then got rid of Norton and it's the quickest PC I've ever had and the most stable as well. No blue screens of death. I have nothing negative to say about Vista. And I've copied & pasted entire folders from my SD card and using the USB cable when I use my iPod as a back up external hard drive for my photos...

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 05:52:16 PM »
I loathe Microsoft and only use it because I can't afford a Mac right now. But, to avoid using anything other than the crap operating system, I am slowly switching over to open source software (OpenOffice, etc). It's a slow process because I don't know much about what I'm doing so I'm trying to be careful.

That said, I hate Adobe's lock on graphics software, too, so I've downloaded some pretty good free alternatives such as InkScape.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 09:01:24 PM »
Vista is pretty slick in design. I quite like it, have used it for a long while though. It has lots of features, the average user probably cares less about, which make it slow to run. Lots of applications running in the background makes it slow. If you know how you can close applications programs you dont need, which will quicken how fast it runs. Also, memory (RAM) increase is always a plus. Not had any problems with transfering or copying files from one folder to another. Yeah UAC- User Access Control feature is abit annoying.....but ok.
Yeah Mac is easy peasy. I dont mind Vista or Mac...all good for me. ok, i'm a geek so its easy for me.

• Live every week like it's Shark Week.
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 06:25:43 AM »
 I HATE IT!!

The main thing I wanted this laptop for, besides the usual internet stuff, was to continue producing music. On my pc which used XP, I used Logic 5.5.1. I had years and years of experience on it, it could do anything I required musically. There are newer music production programs out there, but I honestly just REALLY love Logic 5.5.1.

Well Merry Christmas to me, Logic is incompatible with Vista. I wish I could get a mac because there are newer versions of it specifically for mac..but...ermm...I'm a broke ass.

I've tried ProTools, which is honestly too complex for me at this point, Ableton which is fun for djing but I find it crap to make beats on, and a number of others that I just don't like!

Frowny face.
Here we go:

17 AUG 2009- Applied online
20 AUG 2009- Biometrics
24 Aug- Sent everything to expediter
26 Aug-Application taken to consulate
26 Aug-Fiancee visas approved!!!
 2 Sep-Moved to UK!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 07:45:13 AM »
I hate it and I'm still using XP because to me, XP runs better than VISTA. My fiance says Microsoft is coming out with something new in the next year. We're going to wait, let them get everything worked out, and maybe upgrade in two years or so.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

Sponsored Links