Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: C'mon England...!  (Read 2543 times)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
C'mon England...!
« on: June 18, 2004, 03:03:37 PM »
From the MSN website:

Ten things we noticed in the England-Switzerland game
June 18. An occasional column offering an alternative view of Euro 2004. By MSN's Matt Ball

1. Matt Smith profiling Wayne Rooney in the pre-match build-up
“Remember the name. Remember the game.” Yes, we do.

2. ITV profiling the England team before kick-off. Twice.
This is now getting too much to take. Gareth ‘personality’ Southgate gives us the England team line-up – which we all already know. Andy ‘where’s my tactics truck?’ Townsend introduces the Swiss team with his usual in-depth insights (their midfielders are, apparently, “busy”). And then we get the England players introducing themselves: “Michael Owen – striker.” Yes, we know.

3. Clive Tyldesley’s amazing similes
As the teams come out Clive looks at all the cross of St George flags with the names of small English towns emblazoned across the middle and says: “It’s like thumbing through a book of England roadmaps.” Time to get out more, Clive.

4. Swiss goalkeeper Joerg Stiel
He’s the oldest player in the tournament, don’t you know? Yes, we do because you keep telling us.

5. An advertising break without Sir Bobby Charlton and MasterCard
Priceless.

6. “Live and interactive”
Yes, following our continual criticism of ITV’s “live and exclusive” mantra, it has been dropped in favour of this new vacuous marketing spin. I pressed the red button on my remote control to see what would happen. It turned out to be the on-off switch.

7. Sir Bobby Robson referring to the Swiss as “the Swedes”
The difference is that we can beat the Swiss, Bobby.

8. Clive Tyldesley’s amazing puns
Referring to the fact that England had won only one game since qualifying for Euro 2004 Clive stated that the sole victory (a 6-1 thrashing) was against a “melting Iceland”. Genius.

9. England win a free kick 35 yards from goal
Sir Bobby Robson is certain that David Beckham will have a “pop”. This is a handy term all budding pundits should add to their lexicon. Synonyms include “dig”, “crack”, “go” and the much over-rated “shot”. As it was, Gerrard played it short.

10. The only team to win a European championship after losing its first match was Holland in 1988.
Yes, we know.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Re: C'mon England...!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 04:09:13 PM »
We don't get to see the games here...unless we want to pay $20 for Pay Per View.

Stupid cable company.

But we're following it as best as we could-Go England!!

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 04:29:29 PM »
Wow - do you even get to see any kind of highlights?

I have a great boss - he let me go an hour early so I wouldn't miss the 5pm kick-off!  ;D

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 04:40:34 PM »
My boss let the lads go early... until he found out that I too, was interested in watching... !
Taught him a lesson.  Now people are questioning why I'm supporting England and not Holland - I'm Dutch by heritage, but I live HERE.
 ;D

Go #10!
My personal favorite.

Sorry, favourite. ;)
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 04:45:07 PM »
Overall, of course, we support England.  But we pick a team out of each match to root for - makes it more fun that way.  And we rooted for Holland in their match against Germany.  And Czech Republic against Latvia.  And Sweden against Bulgaria (though by the end of that massacre I was seriously feeling the Bulgarian fans' pain!).

- Benjamin Franklin

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 04:59:31 PM »
Now people are questioning why I'm supporting England and not Holland - I'm Dutch by heritage, but I live HERE

I also have family from Holland.

As far as supporting nations, I support the teams I enjoy watching:

Holland: because when they can be ar*ed, they can play brilliant footie

Portugal: they also have some brilliant displays, but have been under achieving since Euro 2000

Ireland: because they don't know when they are beat, which can lead to them winning

England: for the Chelsea boys.

Italy: because they can play some blinding football when their players aren't swan diving.

But for me, the Dutch and Irish will always take precedence so I'm glad that at least one of them in Euro 2004!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 05:19:25 PM by Caitlinn »
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 05:19:37 PM »
Cait, you are always the voice of sweet sanity!  And, like the wise person you certainly are, you believe in spreading your bets!  (also I have always loved you because despite the fact that you're a girlie, you like the sport and are even more knowledgeable than I [not difficult!] about the Beautiful Game!!!!!)
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 05:27:09 PM »
Wow - do you even get to see any kind of highlights?

I have a great boss - he let me go an hour early so I wouldn't miss the 5pm kick-off!  ;D

There might be some on SportsCenter or something, but I haven't seen them.  I like sports, but not enough to sit through endless discussions of basketball just for whatever lick and promise they give footie.

Just waiting...next year, if all goes well, we'll be there and can watch it all we want.  (Of course, it won't be Euro 2004...but we'll have the World Cup in 2006!)

Stupid cable company.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 06:47:14 PM »
we are having a sweepstake at work and I drew out Sweden so stuff England! There's 16 quid at stake!  :)

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 06:50:38 PM »

so stuff England!

Excellent, dear BritWife!  Throughout history some have had far poorer reasons!  ;) ;D
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2004, 12:57:48 AM »
Fox World Sports (in America) shows all the Euro football games; including Prem. games, Dutch, German, France, Argentina and various S.American football games.. also rugby. We have "Direct TV" satellite. You really will not find football on ESPN channels (inc. their show Sports Center) with the exception of the occasional MSL conversation.
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2004, 02:01:55 AM »
Fox World Sport's showing of this tournament, though, has been blocked by our cable company so they can charge $20 on PPV.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2004, 09:48:14 AM »
Well, tonight's THE night for the England boys - let's see if they can get themselves together and play like a team...like the Czech Republic.  I am SO behind that team!  They are awesome, and Saturday's game against Holland (sorry Caitlinn & Elizabeth!) was amazing - they came from behind to win 3-2!!  And it was an incredible match to watch.  Even knowing how it ends, I could easily watch it all over again!  ::)

But for tonight, the support is behind England.  For what it's worth... :P

- Benjamin Franklin

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2004, 09:49:35 AM »
Is it an evening game? We forgot to get a paper this weekend so have no TV guide!  :)
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 09:52:54 AM »
7.45 - so no leaving work early, unfortunately!  ;)

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links