Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do you recommend using a solicitor?  (Read 491 times)

• Liked: 0
Do you recommend using a solicitor?
« on: March 12, 2010, 11:34:56 PM »
Hello All,

I'm a new member out of New York; and have just started my tier 1 visa application process. This seems like such a tedious and frustrating endeavor. So far, I've spoken to a reputable expeditor in the City who has given me some not-so-great information, although he seems to have a very good relationship with the British Consulate.

I'm wondering if I should retain a solicitor to assist me in making sure I have everything exactly as it should before I submit my application...?? I have no idea how much this costs? Do many people use Laura Devine?

I just filled out my online application at the UK Border Agency site today, paid my fee, and will have my biometrics done next week. I'm also in the process of gathering all supporting documentation (i.e., diploma, letter from bank, employer, bank statements, etc.)

Time is a big issue for me - I'm moving to the UK to be with my boyfriend who has just taken a wonderful position. We really need to be in the UK by 5/1/10 if possible.

I know this post is somewhat scattered, but if anyone has a response to any of my notes or questions, I'm more than thrilled to receive them :)

Thank you.
Amy

• Liked: 387
Re: Do you recommend using a solicitor?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 11:47:27 PM »
So far, I've spoken to a reputable expeditor in the City who has given me some not-so-great information, although he seems to have a very good relationship with the British Consulate.

Hi, and welcome to UKY!

A word of caution, an expediter should not be giving any information, other than the status of your visa application.  Their job is to help you get your application processed quickly; they cannot and should not be giving you any legal advice.

EDIT:  To clear something up, some law firms have expediter services; however, not all expediters are lawyers, if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:52:08 PM by Aquila »

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 07:42:44 AM »
Tier 1 is probably the most complex of the visas to qualify for as the requirements are very specific. That being said it is possible to do it on your own as others have managed just fine...heck, you have at least a Masters Degree it shows you can read and think and that's pretty much what you have to do with the visa. Read the requirements and then make sure that you meet all of them...and I mean ALL of them. If you do not meet all then you will not qualify.

If you still feel that you need professional assistance I recommend Laura Devine Solicitors in New York as they are the only (as far as I am aware of) company that is qualified in UK Immigration Law and can advise someone properly as well as expedite an application.

But, Aquila is right. Expediters (as a rule with the exception stated above) are not allowed to give immigration advice is it is in violation with their agreement with the British Consulate. So take everything they tell you with a grain of salt...basically if it isn't in the Official Guidance for Tier 1 they're just pulling it out of you know where.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 04:30:57 PM »
Thanks so much for your responses - very helpful  :D

I am going to reach out to Laura Devine tomorrow, as I have heard they're an ideal firm with which to work. If they're not too expensive, I think it'll be worth it... if only to give me peace of mind. This process has me at high anxiety levels all day, everyday!

I've heard about people being refused visa due to one cent not matching up between employment letters and bank statements. EEk.

Do you know if expeditors have "special" relationships with the Consulate?
Amy

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 05:40:07 PM »
Expediters might know people but as far as getting special treatment, other than getting your application looked at almost immediately, NO.

The only difference between submitting it yourself & using an expediter is the waiting. You're looking at a couple of months if you send it directly to the Consulate and if you use an expediter you're looking at a couple of days.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 07:21:39 PM »
If you still feel that you need professional assistance I recommend Laura Devine Solicitors in New York as they are the only (as far as I am aware of) company that is qualified in UK Immigration Law and can advise someone properly as well as expedite an application.

Confirmed.  Laura Devine Solicitors are the only UK law firm with expedite privs in the US. 

Several weeks ago, I attended a course on T5 which was taught by one of their partners.  It was great.  I have been planning on sending the course materials to Webbie. 

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 10:02:16 PM »
Thanks for all replies - much appreciated  :)

I have retained Laura Devine, and feel SO much better knowing they'll be putting my packet together!

Amy

Sponsored Links