Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone tried UK Popeye's?  (Read 3639 times)

• Liked: 8
Anyone tried UK Popeye's?
« on: May 15, 2023, 12:36:46 PM »
So I was finally able to make it to one of the new Popeyes Louisiana Kitchens that have opened recently here in the UK  and was severely disappointed. On a Tuesday afternoon, I wandered into the Oxford branch. Was underwhelmed immediately by the decor and then the choices on offer on the self-ordering machine. No Red Beans and Rice and no coleslaw. The machine only gave me 5 or 6 different types of fries/chips with my chicken and no biscuit came with it, sold separately only.

Found an employee who was standing by the door, told them I didn't want chips with my meal and they directed me to the front of the store where I could order in person. Told them I wanted the mash and gravy with my chicken, and not the fries. This seemed like an usual request and he had to press loads of buttons to get the machine to accept the order. I also said I didn't want any breasts with my meal, as I can't stand white chicken meat. Was told breasts don't come with it anyway.

After waiting about 20 minutes, my number was called and I went to pick up my order. Sat down, took the chicken out of the bag. Noticed that the chicken looked a bit different from what Popeye's chicken usually looks like. Took a bite, and while it sorta tasted like Popeyes, but kind of didn't as well. I then saw that there were two chicken breasts in my meal!

Instead of being a good American and going up to complain, I just grumbled quietly to myself and at the chicken (been in the UK too long :) ). And while the mash and gravy did taste different than stateside Popeyes, at least it was tasty.

Did I just have a one off bad experience or is this what we can expect from UK Popeyes? I hope not. :(  I was wondering if the chicken taste was due to more strict guidelines on what sort of ingredients are allowed in food here? I want to say that perhaps the MSG level is much lower.

Hope some of you had a better experience than me!

• Liked: 1894
Re: Anyone tried UK Popeye's?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 05:36:35 PM »
Thanks for that info!  I've always been curious how the Popeye's menu compares.  Did they have sausage biscuits for breakfast?  Any biscuit chicken sandwiches? 

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 05:43:46 PM »
On another topic, they've just opened a Chipotle in our town, just a 5 minute bike ride away.  I left the states before Chipotle was a thing, so don't really have a huge attraction but I like burritos a lot.  Plus, they sent us two for one coupons in the mail, and gave us a free meal for signing up for the mailing list.

Overall, I found the menu very similar to the other local chain ("tortilla") except without the frozen margherita machine.  The portions were big and tasted pretty good.    It's certainly the best burrito within a 5 minute cycle from my house but given the choice I'll probly ride the extra 20 minutes to go to Tortilla.   

Did I mention I've also got a Taco Bell close to my house now as well?  Been once, can't get excited about it either.   

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 08:25:24 PM »
Thanks for that info!  I've always been curious how the Popeye's menu compares.  Did they have sausage biscuits for breakfast?  Any biscuit chicken sandwiches? 

I think the Popeyes in Oxford might be testing a breakfast menu, but I never heard of Popeyes in the States having breakfast, and nothing is listed on their US website

• Liked: 958
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 09:25:59 PM »
On another topic, they've just opened a Chipotle in our town, just a 5 minute bike ride away.  I left the states before Chipotle was a thing, so don't really have a huge attraction but I like burritos a lot.  Plus, they sent us two for one coupons in the mail, and gave us a free meal for signing up for the mailing list.

Overall, I found the menu very similar to the other local chain ("tortilla") except without the frozen margherita machine.  The portions were big and tasted pretty good.    It's certainly the best burrito within a 5 minute cycle from my house but given the choice I'll probly ride the extra 20 minutes to go to Tortilla.   

Did I mention I've also got a Taco Bell close to my house now as well?  Been once, can't get excited about it either.   
We're getting a tortilla soon, so this makes me happy to know actually. I loved Chipotle in the US because it was one of the few fast food places I could safely eat and had really good portion sizes, I usually got 2 meals out of it.

Since being GF I haven't been able to eat Popeye's, but I'd be quite sad with no dirty rice if I could eat at the UK one. That was one of the best things in the US! 

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 08:38:32 AM »
We're getting a tortilla soon, so this makes me happy to know actually. I loved Chipotle in the US because it was one of the few fast food places I could safely eat and had really good portion sizes, I usually got 2 meals out of it.

Since being GF I haven't been able to eat Popeye's, but I'd be quite sad with no dirty rice if I could eat at the UK one. That was one of the best things in the US! 

Popeyes in the US has gotten rid of their dirty rice so it definitely won't ever make it to the UK. Popeyes in the US has gotten rid of some good food over the years. In the mid 90s, they had Seafood Gumbo, Onion Rings, nuggets made (high meat, not the breast meat everything seems to have nowadays) and I think perhaps corn on the cob. Those items are long gone, along with the cajun/dirty rice. :(

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 08:42:27 AM »
I think the Popeyes in Oxford might be testing a breakfast menu, but I never heard of Popeyes in the States having breakfast, and nothing is listed on their US website
  Not surprising, I think I am confusing Popeye's with Bojangles.  Neither of which I have eaten at in the states for at least 10 years.   I really need to go back home.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 08:44:32 AM »

Can confirm the portion sizes are huge.  And you can squeeze at least 2 free meals out of them when they open up. 

• Liked: 770
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 10:17:16 AM »
  Not surprising, I think I am confusing Popeye's with Bojangles.  Neither of which I have eaten at in the states for at least 10 years.   I really need to go back home.
You are thinking of Bojangles!

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

• Liked: 958
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 05:06:23 PM »

Popeyes in the US has gotten rid of their dirty rice so it definitely won't ever make it to the UK. Popeyes in the US has gotten rid of some good food over the years. In the mid 90s, they had Seafood Gumbo, Onion Rings, nuggets made (high meat, not the breast meat everything seems to have nowadays) and I think perhaps corn on the cob. Those items are long gone, along with the cajun/dirty rice. :(
Ahhh sadness. It's definitely been a long time since I could eat at Popeye's. Will recommend it to my partner if we are ever near one though. :)

• Liked: 681
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 05:25:05 PM »
Yes, I think they did have those little ears of corn-on-the-cob, or maybe that was Kentucky Fried Chicken??? They don't have them now, although they do trot out a new item from time to time and I guess see how well it sells (or not).

They still have red beans and rice here, or cole slaw, mac-n-cheese, mashed potatoes & gravy, Cajun fries, and biscuits - even up here in NY.  They make just about the best biscuits of any of the fast-food places, I think. (Other than Church's Fried Chicken, which is a relatively small regional chain we don't have up here in the NE.) They're also doing popcorn shrimp now, and wings, tenders and sandwiches. Right now they're doing a "special" on ghost pepper wings. I think I'll pass on that one!  ::) ;)

I used to enjoy Popeyes now and then. Haven't been in one in quite some time - since before we left for the UK.  All this talk has got me thinking I might like to get a two-piece combo meal sometime soon! With a couple of extra biscuits.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 05:33:29 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 681
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2023, 05:30:28 PM »

Yeah, what they did to Taco Bell over there was amazing. The one in Glasgow was truly awful - as was their service.  The Chipotle we had in London had absolutely tiny portions - we went there on two different trips, so it wasn't just a "off day" kind of thing. It was good, but maybe half of what we used to get in SoCal for an order.  (We also had to bring our own limes to squeeze onto the food, as they didn't offer either limes or lemons.) It was nice to have a taste of "home", though.  :D

There's a Chipotle not far from us here, but we haven't been in some time as the prices have gone through the roof. There are other Mom & Pop Mexican places we can go to get good food for cheaper. I would imagine that when we are driving through the midwest we are going to be very happy if we see a Chipotle sign, though....  ;)

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2023, 05:57:17 PM »
Mom & Pop Mexican places are really what makes my world go round. Ones that have trucks with lawnmowers in the bed!   That's one thing you aren't going to get here. 

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 06:01:32 PM »
You are thinking of Bojangles!
  It's true that I am frequently thinking of bojangles.  Back in the day when they used to let me drive a big yellow schoolbus, I would stop and let the students grab something from Bojangles if they bought me a sausage biscuit.  Back in the days when they would let any irresponsible kid drive a school bus of all things. 

• Liked: 770
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2023, 09:11:46 PM »
  It's true that I am frequently thinking of bojangles.  Back in the day when they used to let me drive a big yellow schoolbus, I would stop and let the students grab something from Bojangles if they bought me a sausage biscuit.  Back in the days when they would let any irresponsible kid drive a school bus of all things.
Bojangles just released a "hard" sweet tea. I didn't try it on my last visit because I'm not much of a drinker but I did go to Bojangles a few times for my Bo Berry biscuits and chicken biscuit breakfast sandwich.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links