Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone miss American breakfast?  (Read 11820 times)

• Liked: 216
Anyone miss American breakfast?
« on: August 16, 2018, 02:14:11 PM »
Though I'm not living in the UK yet, I have been there enough times to already know some of the things I'm going to miss once I get my visa and move there permanently. One of the things I know I'll miss the most is American breakfast! Where I'll be living, there really are no options for getting American breakfast at a restaurant. There are one or two places which are not too far away that TRY to achieve American pancakes but yeah, not the same.

I'm not a big fan of the full English breakfast if I'm being honest. I don't want beans, mushrooms, and black pudding at brekkie (or ever really). I need pancakes with butter and maple syrup, scrambled eggs, home fries, bacon (aka streaky bacon), and a hot cup of drip coffee (with several refills). Mmmm... I guess it's a good thing that I can cook because I know that's the only way I'm going to get the breakfast I want.

Also, I'll miss my girlfriends calling me early in the morning to meet for spontaneous breakfast/coffee (yes, the same morning without three weeks planning) but that's for another post topic, I think...  [smiley=laugh4.gif]
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 769
Re: Anyone miss American breakfast?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 02:18:44 PM »
Hope you're not going to miss buttermilk biscuits with sausage gravy.  Lol

And be glad you're not moving to Scotland because they put beef gravy, chili con carne and pulled pork on buttermilk pancakes here.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 250
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 02:24:37 PM »
Though I'm not living in the UK yet, I have been there enough times to already know some of the things I'm going to miss once I get my visa and move there permanently. One of the things I know I'll miss the most is American breakfast! Where I'll be living, there really are no options for getting American breakfast at a restaurant. There are one or two places which are not too far away that TRY to achieve American pancakes but yeah, not the same.

I'm not a big fan of the full English breakfast if I'm being honest. I don't want beans, mushrooms, and black pudding at brekkie (or ever really). I need pancakes with butter and maple syrup, scrambled eggs, home fries, bacon (aka streaky bacon), and a hot cup of drip coffee (with several refills). Mmmm... I guess it's a good thing that I can cook because I know that's the only way I'm going to get the breakfast I want.

Also, I'll miss my girlfriends calling me early in the morning to meet for spontaneous breakfast/coffee (yes, the same morning without three weeks planning) but that's for another post topic, I think...  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

I get "breakfast" dates with my girlfriends all the time! I'm going to miss that too.

I personally LOVE English breakfast! But, I am not a fan of "back bacon" the thick bacon that is more common in the UK. It's huge, chewy, and always tastes undercooked! I'm going to miss my crisp bacon! I know the UK stores have streaky bacon, it just isn't the same lol!

You and your future husband are gonna have to have "breakfast" dates and alternate between English & American breakfasts!!!
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 02:29:03 PM »

And be glad you're not moving to Scotland because they put beef gravy, chili con carne and pulled pork on buttermilk pancakes here.

Wait, what?!?! What in the America's Test Kitchen is going on over there?! That's just a big NO!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 02:32:51 PM »
I get "breakfast" dates with my girlfriends all the time! I'm going to miss that too.

I personally LOVE English breakfast! But, I am not a fan of "back bacon" the thick bacon that is more common in the UK. It's huge, chewy, and always tastes undercooked! I'm going to miss my crisp bacon! I know the UK stores have streaky bacon, it just isn't the same lol!

You and your future husband are gonna have to have "breakfast" dates and alternate between English & American breakfasts!!!

It's not the same but asking for it to be cooked longer might help a bit with the bacon! I like back bacon but undercooked is just nasty!

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 02:33:02 PM »

Yeah, I think that he'll be my number one breakfast date... I already miss my girls and getting the early morning request for pancakes. But once I'm in England, I hope no one gives me an early morning call for back bacon... I don't like it either!! I need crisp with rendered fat! Speaking of fat, can I please have just a little bit of fat on my meat? It adds so much more flavor and moisture when cooking.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 02:33:32 PM »
Ok, for American bacon you want pancetta (Tesco has a nice dry aged smoked one) or go to the polish shop and buy smoked baczek in a slab and cut it yourself.

UK streaky bacon and back bacon is not made from pork belly like US bacon is.

You will not get any fat rendered out in UK bacon so sorry southern ladies... unless you buy the pancetta or baczek,  then you can fill your jars with wonderful bacon grease.

• Liked: 239
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 02:34:01 PM »

This! I miss pillsbury grands and pioneer sausage gravy.  :\\\'(
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 02:35:05 PM »
It's not the same but asking for it to be cooked longer might help a bit with the bacon! I like back bacon but undercooked is just nasty!

Ok, I think I'll try that next time as well. Because I can't deal with it being all rubbery.

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 02:36:14 PM »
Wait, what?!?! What in the America's Test Kitchen is going on over there?! That's just a big NO!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]
They will try to convince you that this is done for the British palette. And will say "American Food with a Scottish Twist!"

Cannae just naw!

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 02:37:36 PM »
Ok, for American bacon you want pancetta (Tesco has a nice dry aged smoked one) or go to the polish shop and buy smoked baczek in a slab and cut it yourself.

UK streaky bacon and back bacon is not made from pork belly like US bacon is.

You will not get any fat rendered out in UK bacon so sorry southern ladies... unless you buy the pancetta or baczek,  then you can fill your jars with wonderful bacon grease.

I've gotten smoked streaky bacon from M&S and it was actually pretty close to American style. But I have to search through all the packs to find one with the right ratio of meat to fat. I'm sure the employees there think I'm a weirdo. LOL!

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 02:39:00 PM »
This! I miss pillsbury grands and pioneer sausage gravy.  :\\\'(

Imagine my horror when my husband took me to KFC the first time and I asked for a biscuit with my fried chicken...  [smiley=blank.gif]

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 02:41:07 PM »
Imagine my horror when my husband took me to KFC the first time and I asked for a biscuit with my fried chicken...  [smiley=blank.gif]
Would that be chocolate chip or oatmeal?

• Liked: 533
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 03:12:31 PM »
One word: cheese grits.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 03:16:49 PM »
One word: cheese grits.
Jimbo has grits.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab