Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Carpenter  (Read 537 times)

• Liked: 0
Carpenter
« on: June 23, 2005, 02:18:01 PM »

Husband and I are heading home (for me) at last.  He is a master carpenter, we need some wisdom on two fronts.

Do transformer converters work for US standard power tools in the UK? He's planning on bringing table saws, the works, is it a waste of time? We've read that slower cycles will burn up tools or cause them to cycle dangerously slowly, the folks who sell the transformers swear it's not so, but they would wouldn't they!
Has anyone got direct experience running US power tools in the UK?

Location, location, location, would London burbs be the best area for us, I need safe and relatively quick access to Central London at all times of the day and night, don't ask.  Family etc say good carpenters are impossible to find, would he do well enough far from London (our last pick for a place  to live) for me to give up my London centric, well paying profession and get a regular job and us survive?

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Re: Carpenter
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 04:12:25 PM »
Come and live near Brum,good carpenters are none existant,I've been looking for one for months.Can't help on the electrical question,sorry.

Dave
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.
Ernest Benn

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 05:12:45 PM »
Hi,

My dad is a master carpenter/joiner and he is always in demand and travels around to fulfill his contracts. Your hubby will do better self employed than as a subcontractor.

I will ask him about the power tools - I am certain he told me that's why he doesn't/didn't buy any tools in the States because the transformer would ruin them ~ although he loved the prices!

Give me some time though- he is really busy right now! (with everyone converting/renovating houses in this country, there is huge demand for the joinery and cabinetry etc) and I really think your husband will do well here, regardless of where you choose to live.

Good luck to you both and I'll feedback if I can get the answer

Born to shop..............forced to work

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 03:50:22 PM »
I have an answer- my Dad said that power tools will be fine on a transformer, lots of people do it, but yes, it may well shorten the life of the tools.

He also said that building work on the large sites these days is getting more difficult as rates have been reduced by the cheaper eastern european labour available, but he said there will always be work available for a quality carpenter but the more lucrative work is private contracts, so I am guessing he really needs to go self employed to make the money.

I hope that helps a bit? I can always ask him more questions if you have them :)
Born to shop..............forced to work

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab