Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Question about mail...............  (Read 4037 times)

• Liked: 0
Question about mail...............
« on: October 13, 2009, 09:48:31 PM »
Hi guys,

This is kinda off the topic of visa's but I thought you guys could help me out since everyones so helpful on here. I'm getting sick worried because I am just waiting on the last papers which my husband mailed me Thursday October 1st and I still havent recieved them yet! He mailed registered delivery with signature... 5-7 days. So I'm thinking it should be here by now??? I'm worried because everything has to be mailed soon since I already took my biometrics...I have another 9 days... this mail should arrive tomorrow...

Does anyone have any idea what's the hold up, and am I worrying too much?? I think I'm starting to really panic!!!

- i L a k -

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
Re: Question about mail...............
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 09:54:02 PM »
Did he send it Royal Mail?  My hubby sent me some stuff Royal Mail and it took a little over 2 weeks to get here.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 09:59:07 PM »
Only use UPS, FedEx or DHL when shipping important papers/documents internationally. As these items are guaranteed delivery or your money back, can be tracked internationally and fully insured.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:06:41 PM by Mindy »

• Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 10:00:24 PM »

Does anyone have any idea what's the hold up, and am I worrying too much??

Did he mail from London?  We are having postal strikes very, very annoyingly frequently..

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 10:00:55 PM »
Did he mail from London?  We are having postal strikes very, very annoyingly frequently..

Birmingham, if memory serves.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 10:03:17 PM »
There's been localised postal strikes going on all over the country for the last few weeks
If your husband sent your documents by registered post with signature he should have a tracking number so he can see where your parcel is?

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 10:04:47 PM »
He mailed from Birmingham, from the local post office. I guess Royal mail but he payed for a registered delivery service... so it arrives in 5-7 days.

They gave him a tracking number but for some dumb reason, my husband stuck the reciept with the tracking number into the envelope he's sending to me... silly right... so I dont have the tracking number to track it :/

If it was mailed October 1st/2nd then I'm thinking it should arrive soon now right? Or should I be worried?

:-(
- i L a k -

• Heart...Captured
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 10:09:33 PM »
He mailed from Birmingham, from the local post office. I guess Royal mail but he payed for a registered delivery service... so it arrives in 5-7 days.

They gave him a tracking number but for some dumb reason, my husband stuck the reciept with the tracking number into the envelope he's sending to me... silly right... so I dont have the tracking number to track it :/

If it was mailed October 1st/2nd then I'm thinking it should arrive soon now right? Or should I be worried?

Registered mail through Royal Mail does not guarantee it will be delivered in 5-7 days.  Like I said, when my hubby sent it registered mail, it took a little over 2 weeks (I don't remember exactly but I think it was like 16 days).  The tracking number is pretty useless as the package will probably just be held up in customs (that's what happened to mine) and they don't update anything until the package leaves customs.  When I was frantically waiting for my package, I read horror stories of people's packages being stuck in customs for months.  From my research, the average amount of time in customs is around 2 weeks...that doesn't count the before or after delivery time.

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 10:12:04 PM »

Given that you have 9 days in which to get the documents, verify that they're complete/accurate, and send things off to the expediter/consulate...yes, you're on a bit of a deadline and should be concerned.

That said, there's no way people on an internet forum can help you with this, unless someone happens to be a postal employee AND can magically find out your tracking number for you and update you on the status of your mail.

If you feel you must do something, try calling various post offices (US & UK) to see if they can give you any info. From my encounters with the USPS here, though, I doubt you'll have much luck (and that's without postal strikes).
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 10:18:13 PM »
My husband send me things through the same service before and I got in within 10 days. I'm hoping I get this this week. I already payed my courier the fed ex fees. (They had that as an option so it was nice) So all I have to do is mail it and its going to arrive there overnight then they will send it to the consulate.

I'm hoping it arrives soon this week. Praying for tomorrow.

Thx for the info and help.

- i L a k -

• Liked: 5
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 10:22:05 PM »
Registered mail through Royal Mail does not guarantee it will be delivered in 5-7 days.  Like I said, when my hubby sent it registered mail, it took a little over 2 weeks (I don't remember exactly but I think it was like 16 days).  The tracking number is pretty useless as the package will probably just be held up in customs (that's what happened to mine) and they don't update anything until the package leaves customs.  When I was frantically waiting for my package, I read horror stories of people's packages being stuck in customs for months.  From my research, the average amount of time in customs is around 2 weeks...that doesn't count the before or after delivery time.

Even if it doesn't get stuck in customs, annoyingly, the tracking only works to the US border.  I never have understood that!!!!!  What is the point of a useless tracking number?

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 10:56:39 PM »

Yeah I would be worried because it is completely illogical to put a tracking number inside the mail it was supposed to track.
Almost as illogical as using the Royal Mail, who seem to be on strike every other day, when time is of the essence and a US Holiday in the mix.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 11:07:55 PM »
Well it's been 9 days counting saturdays, without the sat's its 7 days. I was told it can take up to 2 weeks. I remember before when my husband posted me, it took 10 days. And that was registered delivery also. It will arrive in USA as first class mail.

I should have the mail by Monday next week. By then it will be about 2 weeks. I'm not that worried anymore after being told it can take some time... 9 days is nothing. Even if I get it next week, I will post it first thing in the morning and it will arrive same day or overight to the courier. Hopefully they can get it to the Consulate on time.

Pray I get it tomorrow which would be great!
- i L a k -

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 11:22:22 PM »
Yesterday was a federal holiday as well so if it's on the US side already, it will have been delayed another day.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 11:22:42 PM »
Even if I get it next week, I will post it first thing in the morning and it will arrive same day or overight to the courier. Hopefully they can get it to the Consulate on time.

It's important that it does get to the consulate on time, because if it isn't delivered by the end of the 14th calendar day after your biometrics, then you will have to reapply all over again and pay another $995.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab