Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: how long does it take to become a UK citizen?  (Read 553 times)

• Liked: 0
how long does it take to become a UK citizen?
« on: December 02, 2006, 05:01:42 PM »
hi,
i was wondering if anyone could comment on how long it takes to become a UK citizen [the application process, etc...]. I have ILR, have been married to a UK citizen for 4 years, lived in the UK for 6.

also, does anyone know the requirements for where you live during the application process? am thinking of spending some time in the states...

thanks in advance
mimsy

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: how long does it take to become a UK citizen?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 11:53:37 PM »
For those married to UK Citizens, the following qualifications apply:

• You must have been living in the United Kingdom at the beginning of the three- year period; and
  • On the date that your application is received in the Home Office, you must have permanent residence/ILR in the UK; and
  • During the three-year period you must not have been outside the UK for more than 270 days (approximately 9 months); and
  • During the last 12 months of the five-year period you must not have been outside the UK for more than 90 days; and
  • You must not have been in breach of any UK immigration rules at any time during this three-year period of residence in the UK.

More information about how to apply can be found here: http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

Sponsored Links