Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Stanley Cup  (Read 1407 times)

Stanley Cup
« on: May 25, 2004, 11:37:48 AM »
Will anyone here be watching (or, in my case, trying to stay up in the wee hours to watch) the Stanley Cup Finals, which start tonight (Tues. May 25th) ?

Re: Stanley Cup
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 09:16:18 AM »
...guess not.   :-[

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 09:20:26 AM »
Hi Tam! I meant to post this yesterday......we don't get channel 5 unfortunately but if we did, I'd probably watch a little or even tape it. Not a huge hockey fan (lack of exposure rather than lack of interest) but I miss American sports in general. We used to get 5 in Newcastle and I would tape baseball and watch it in the mornings while eating my cereal! Who is playing this year?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 10:18:11 AM »
Oh, thank you, Balmerhon.   :)

Competing this year are the Calgary Flames vs. Tampa Bay Lightning.

I am rooting for the Flames because there are several players I used to watch in the minor leagues on their roster.  Most especially pleased to see Mikka Kiprusoff in net for the Flames.  I used to be a season ticket holder for an AHL team (the AHL is the primary *farm* system league for the NHL.)  I recall seeing Mikka play and saying, at the time, that he was a great goalie, and oh, if only some NHL team would give him a proper chance...but I worried they wouldn't because the trend was towards bigger guys.  So it's especially nice to see him in the Stanley Cup finals now. :)

Calgary won the series opener in Tampa last night, 4-1.  And what an exciting game it was!   :D

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 10:30:16 AM »
It just makes me giggle when you see "ice hockey" and then "Tampa Bay" in the same sentence!

I've been to a few Caps games but have to confess that aside from watching it on TV, that's the extent of my exposure! Still, anything is better than the endless footie on over here!  :-*
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 07:51:38 PM »
I would normally watch the Stanley Cup but I'm still sore at the poor result of my Flyers. So I can't bear to watch it this year.  :-[ I'm not really rooting for or against either team to win...don't mind me.  :-\\\\

Plus, we have a TIVO anyway so previous seasons would just record for me so I didn't have to lose any of that beauty sleep I so seriously need. Hockey season alone makes having a TIVO worthwhile for me!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 10:18:18 PM »
I would normally watch the Stanley Cup but I'm still sore at the poor result of my Flyers.

Don't feel bad, I'm a Rangers fan...they didn't even make the playoffs!!

Oh, and I agree with balmerhon, ice hockey in Tampa Bay is just silly.   There is no ice in Florida!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab