Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Good news for Social Workers!  (Read 550 times)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Good news for Social Workers!
« on: November 11, 2008, 02:19:57 PM »
Although the Migration Advisory Committee did not recommend social workers to be on the official shortage list for the new Tier 2 scheme, they have been addedd by Ministers.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/migrantworkers

Vicky
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 02:22:06 PM by VictoriaS »

• Liked: 0
Re: Good news for Social Workers!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
SWEET!  ;D

Thanks, Vicky!  I'm off to read the article now.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:05:57 PM »
Read it.

Exactly what "evidence" is the MAC reviewing?  Evidence presented by Ministers as to why social workers should be kept on the shortage list? 

It's good to know that they've decided to leave it be for now.  Like teachers and physicians, you can never have too many social workers.  Especially since turnover rates are already sky high.

• Banned

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 09:15:43 PM »
Like teachers and physicians, you can never have too many social workers. 

Yeah, but haven't you noticed that they are slashing the numbers of physicians and teachers too  :-\\\\

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 10:03:58 PM »
I've noticed.  And I can't wrap my mind around WHY.  Why those professions when clearly there is such a marked need all over the world?  Teachers especially.  If it wasn't for them, none of us would be fit to work anywhere, regardless of our professions.

I'm still shaking my head at sheep shearers, though.  I don't mean to disrespect anyone's line of work, but...  :-\\\\

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:14:02 PM »
There are more junior doctors and doctors in training than there are permanent positions for doctors.  You may perceive a need for more doctors, but there simply aren't the vacancies, and NHS trusts have around 100 applications for each post.  Ergo, no shortage.

There are lots of sheep in the UK, and not enough people to shear them.  Simple.

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 10:42:37 PM »
There are lots of sheep in the UK, and not enough people to shear them.  Simple.

It's ironic that 1/3rd of lamb sold in UK supermarkets is brought in from New Zealand.

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 10:47:26 PM »
Thanks for posting this Vicky.  If they say there isn't a shortage of qualified social workers, they clearly haven't been in my local authority lately.  One of the centres here only has three social workers, and they are so overworked as a result that they can't hang on to them.  It's really a mess.  I don't know of other US social workers though in this area though.

• My blog!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 11:09:40 PM »
It's ironic that 1/3rd of lamb sold in UK supermarkets is brought in from New Zealand.

Isn't so ironic if you have ever been to New Zealand!  4 million people, 40 million sheep.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 11:17:01 PM »
Clearly I'm in the wrong profession.

Or looking in the wrong area of the world.  That's probably more likely at this point.  Eesh!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 02:11:41 AM by Gyladene »

• Banned

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 11:29:20 PM »
Thanks for posting this Vicky.  If they say there isn't a shortage of qualified social workers, they clearly haven't been in my local authority lately.  One of the centres here only has three social workers, and they are so overworked as a result that they can't hang on to them. 

Yes, but I think the point is that the main reaosn for this is budget cuts, and not always because there are not enough people to fill vacancies. 

Vicky

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 03:48:19 PM »
Although the Migration Advisory Committee did not recommend social workers to be on the official shortage list for the new Tier 2 scheme, they have been added by Ministers.

Good news! And no doubt there are some vacancies in Harringey that need filling! Unfortunately!
John

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab