Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: looking for opinions on Ipods?  (Read 4926 times)

looking for opinions on Ipods?
« on: August 24, 2005, 08:57:16 AM »
i am thinking about getting one when Sean gets his bonus this year.. ... does anyone have some words of advice, etc on them?

(ps: i have heard that they do not accept mp3 format without converting them, is this true?)

• Liked: 0
Re: looking for opinions on Ipods?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 09:01:27 AM »
Get a Mini Disc player instead.  ;D

I love my mini disc player!  I can hold 1 GIG of music on one mini disc.  Currently I have 740 tracks on one disc and still have loads of room.

Although the plus side of the iPod is you can use iTunes and their choice of music is superb.  I have a bit more technical difficulty if I download tracks from iTunes.

Your best bet is to shop around and find the music player that fits your needs.  Everybody prefers different things for different reasons.  For me, the MD was just what I wanted and the price was more reasonable than the iPod.
Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes....that way you are a mile a way - and you have his shoes....

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 09:07:09 AM »
i love my ipod, i have a 20 gig one, and i got dave an ipod mini for his birthday.  he loves it.  we share the music on itunes and it rocks!!!!

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 09:09:39 AM »
i love my ipod, i have a 20 gig one, and i got dave an ipod mini for his birthday.  he loves it.  we share the music on itunes and it rocks!!!!

i'm eyeing up the pink 6 gig mini... and if you order from the apple site, they do free engraving!

mmmm...i'm not a pink girl, but something about it!!!! ;)

can you just put mp3s on it with no formatting, changing, anything?

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 10:01:12 AM »
I have an ipod shuffle, the poor man's version of what Amy has.  I like it.  It's easy to use and doesn't take a lot of room in my purse or pocket. 

No need to convert mp3s to anything else.  I d/l music off Kazaa and put it straight onto my ipod with no problems. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 10:03:34 AM »
*Nursey bit*

Don't crank the volume up on those suckers because we have had an increase of patients coming in with tinutis...we've are already getting teens in clinics getting fitted with aids... :o

*Nursey bit finished*

Other than that they are cool ... ;D
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 10:16:38 AM »
i have had mine 1.5yrs now - 15 gig ipod (they don't make them anymore). I recommend at least a mini, but you're already paying enough to go for the regular one. I still haven't filled this one up, I have over 8 gigs on there and I expect to have it for at least another year or 2 before buying the latest model. My ipod changed my life - I use it in the car, on the bus, at the gym, on long trips and in my flat (I have one of those speaker sets to plug  your ipod into).
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 10:21:11 AM »
*Nursey bit*

Don't crank the volume up on those suckers because we have had an increase of patients coming in with tinutis...we've are already getting teens in clinics getting fitted with aids... :o

*Nursey bit finished*

Other than that they are cool ... ;D

nothing irritates me more sometimes than being on the train and being able to hear someones mp3 player SO well that i know what song is on, from 3 rows back on the opposite side!!

• An eagle swooped down from a semi-trailer
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 10:36:53 AM »
My husband got me a mp3 player for Xmas but it was faulty, so we returned it and got an iPod instead. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my iPod. So much better than the mp3 player, so easy to use. I have the iPod mini and I still haven't filled it. I used to always listen to music back in the states, had a cd player in my car and did a lot of driving but also at home. Since moving here I just never had the time to listen to my cds the way I did back home (having kids and not having a car helped). Now that I have the iPod, I listen to music ALL THE TIME and it is great. I love the playlist feature, where I have selected certain songs to be played instead of just shuffling, at night when putting baby to bed I have a Baby rotation of mellow songs. I have a cord for the stereo downstairs that allows me to use its speakers and I have external speakers for the bedroom upstairs. I even brought the iPod and speakers with me into the labor ward and was able to listen to my favorite music while giving birth.

Best gadget ever, ever ever. Only regret is that they keep making bigger and better models! If you like fooling around on your computer and you like music, it's a perfect combination.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 10:42:12 AM »
Rich has a regular ipod, I have a mini.  I love it! 

I do notice that when you have a mp3 format it will ask to convert it (Well at least they ask to convert something, I'm pretty sure it's MP3)  So it's not a problem once it's converted.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 11:07:50 AM »
fyi... the newest 20 GB model comes with a color screen which means you can not only store tons of music but photos as well! I just got modern after two years in Africa... I remember scoffing when I read the International Newsweek article about iPods, how everyone has them and thinking who REALLY needs to carry all their music around with them... besides poor Peace Corps Volunteers who listen to the same 5 CDs and tapes for two years or hmm, was that just me?

Well, I got back and it's pretty much true! You'd be surprised how young I've seen kiddies sporting iPods! Then again I live in San Jose, CA and Apple is just "down the street" in Cupertino so we're probably not representative of the whole country. I got my iPod as part of a laptop deal so the timing was perfect.

Now I just need a digital camera to totally appreciate the color screen!

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 11:11:06 AM »
Oh yeah, I saw my friends a few months ago, she had the one you can store photo's on.  Very cool!

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 11:13:44 AM »
makes me laugh sometimes though : first it was just music then add pictures ,then lets add a digital camera , then you can view movies then you can send email...wtf it's no longer an IPOD it's an expensive Laptop... ;D

I think they are cool though ...I hate the mobile that tune in to radios though it's always some schmuck at the back blaring it loud at the back of the bus...remember Boomboxes and dudes strolling around with them on their shoulders like they were all that...tee hee!!!
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 11:30:24 AM »
to those who own ipods, i've read some reviews that the battery life isn't that good...

thoughts on this?

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 11:31:35 AM »
I have a Creative Zen Micro -- roughly the same as an iPod, but WAY better in my opinion. It also has radio. And it hold more than the iPod mini. And the pink is brighter than iPod pink! ;)

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=10795
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Sponsored Links