Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visitors Visa  (Read 2122 times)

• Liked: 0
Visitors Visa
« on: April 14, 2009, 06:46:40 AM »
Hi All,

I'm a Dual UK/US citizen and I am planning on taking my girlfriend to London for a week in May.  My girlfriend has asylum status in the US, and we have sent in her application for a Single Entry Visa.  The Application was filled out on March 31st, Biometrics were done on the 4th of April and the application was received by the LA consulate on April 6th.  We have no yet heard anything from the consulate as far as them opening the envelope or anything.  I was hoping for a quick turn around since I have used my miles for the tickets and would re-deposit them if for whatever reason she can't get a Visa, but that would need to be done by May 1st at the latest.  We have mailed supporting documents that shows she is employed here, along with Bank statements, and her US Travel document.

Should I be worried that it's been 6 business days and I haven't heard anything about a single entry visa?  I looked at the topic about the tier 1 visa's but they looked like they are completely different than the single entry ones. 

Thank you for all your assistance!
Rez

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Visitors Visa
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 09:13:49 AM »
You shouldn't worry at all.  This is not a straight forward application, and they cannot handle these applications instantly.

Vicky

• My blog!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »
Also, does she have any UK immigration history at all?  If she has, that will likely take an extended period of time with someone who has never been to the UK before.

It could easily take 4-6 weeks for something like this and that is considering that there aren't other issues going on as well.  With the rules change to Tier 1 and Tier 2 as well as the run-up to the introduction to Tier 4 as well as a biometrics failure on April 2nd, there does seem to be some backlog at LA, if not the other VSDs that would be competing for attention.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:04:18 PM »
She has never been to the UK before, so she has no past history wanting to go there.  You guys state that it can take up to 4-6 weeks, but the flight I have booked leaves on May 8th.  Does that mean that she will likely not be able to have a desicion on her visa before then?

Also, none of the tier rules would apply to her right?  Because this is a general visa application.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 08:09:01 PM »
It may very well be that she won't have her visa by the time the flight leaves on the 8th; it means you either go on without her, or you try to bump the flights up to a later date so she can travel as well.

The tier rules don't apply to her, but the new rules slow all the applications down while the ECOs get used to working under the new rules, and writing refusal letters for those who are being denied because of the change in rules.
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:13:10 PM »
It may very well be that she won't have her visa by the time the flight leaves on the 8th; it means you either go on without her, or you try to bump the flights up to a later date so she can travel as well.

The tier rules don't apply to her, but the new rules slow all the applications down while the ECOs get used to working under the new rules, and writing refusal letters for those who are being denied because of the change in rules.

I was under the impression that the Visa's took only 5-15 business days to process.  And it seems that a General Single Entry Visa would take less time than a tier 1 or etc.  The application arrived at the Consulate on the 6th of April, so I assumed that was more than enough time.  How long does it typically take for a regular visa?? Is it not that quick?

Also, I just received that email from the Embassy stating that they received that application.  So it looks like they are about a week behind working on it.  It says if its straightforward I should have a decision within 24 hours.  Is this not a straightforward application?

Thanks!
Reza

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:20:03 PM »
General entry visas may take less time than Tier 1s, but the ECOs processing the tier applications slow *all* applications down to a certain extent, because they're taking longer to process those visas under the new rules. The rules for other visas have stayed the same (I believe, at least for settlement visas), but they're still being affected by the tier visas all the same.  I believe they're trying to get the tier visas sorted in 5-15 business days, other visas have varying times with which they can be processed (i.e. spousals can be up to 12 weeks in some cases, etc.)

And like Vicky said, it's not a straightforward application--I assume because your girlfriend has asylum status in the US, and not citizen status (if this is wrong, correct me), so it wouldn't be as straightforward as if she was a citizen.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 09:13:14 PM »
General entry visas may take less time than Tier 1s, but the ECOs processing the tier applications slow *all* applications down to a certain extent, because they're taking longer to process those visas under the new rules. The rules for other visas have stayed the same (I believe, at least for settlement visas), but they're still being affected by the tier visas all the same.  I believe they're trying to get the tier visas sorted in 5-15 business days, other visas have varying times with which they can be processed (i.e. spousals can be up to 12 weeks in some cases, etc.)

And like Vicky said, it's not a straightforward application--I assume because your girlfriend has asylum status in the US, and not citizen status (if this is wrong, correct me), so it wouldn't be as straightforward as if she was a citizen.

I really appreciate your guys assistance in this matter.  Were there any changes to the General Single entry visa rules?  Also, If she was a citizen she would not need a Visa at all.  So, in that case there would be no reason to contact the Embassy.  Do you guys know if they count 5 - 15 business days from the date they open the envelope or from the day the envelope arrives at the embassy?

Thanks Again!

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 10:09:14 PM »
I don't believe there was any changes to the general visas, it seemed the major ones were with the tier scheme visas, that I'm aware of.  Due to the VWP, citizens from the US and the UK can generally visit each others countries for up to 3 months and 6 months respectively without a prior visa; but like I said, since your girlfriend has asylum status, I don't know if they treat that the same or differently to citizenship.

The 5-15 business days are from when they open the application, I believe, for the tier visas; other ones have different processing times, though I'm not entirely sure what those are off the top of my head.

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 10:18:18 PM »
Thanks for your help!  I hope that it gets processed in time.  I would really hate to pass up this opportunity to take her to London with me. 

• Banned

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 11:46:49 AM »
I don't think that it would take too long, and I think that it is likely you would make your flight.

They just need to do some background checks, possible security checks, and examine her ties to the US.

Vicky

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 12:15:07 AM »
I don't think that it would take too long, and I think that it is likely you would make your flight.

They just need to do some background checks, possible security checks, and examine her ties to the US.

Vicky

Thanks Victoria,

That is very comforting to know.  I just received another email from the Consulate stating the following:

Your application requires further consideration by this office.  A decision will be made on your application within 15 working days of its receipt in this office. In the meantime, please do not attempt to call this office.  Please note that our visa telephone enquiry line services by Worldbridge will not be able to answer any status enquiries.  However, you can send an e-mail free of charge by accessing their website at www.visainfoservices.com and clicking on 'send an e-mail'.

So, I'm hoping that everything will work out fine.  I know there are no troubles with background checks because she works in the finance industry and holds various licenses which all require background checks etc.

Does this usually take the full 15 days for them to check everything or does it sometimes happen quicker on a visitors visa?

Thanks!
Rez

• Banned

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 01:39:48 PM »
She's a refugee, so the rules are slightly different.  I'd expect the full 15 days.

Vicky

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 11:46:14 PM »
We still have not heard anything back from the consulate since their email on April 14th, stating that a decision will be made within 15 working days.  It's getting really close to our Departure date which is scheduled for May 8th.  Should I consider purchasing trip insurance in case they don't issue her Visa before the departure date? 

If they take the full 15 working days I should have a response on May 5th.  I didn't realize we would be cutting it this close.  We had Fed-ex Deliver the application on April 6th.

Thanks for your assistance...

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 02:02:43 AM »
  Should I consider purchasing trip insurance in case they don't issue her Visa before the departure date? 

If it's an option to add the trip insurance before the trip happens, I'd sign up for it.  I always thought you had to purchase the insurance at the same time you booked your flights, though.
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

Sponsored Links