Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Which consulate to use  (Read 700 times)

• Liked: 0
Which consulate to use
« on: May 05, 2009, 12:33:41 AM »
As many of you know, I already submitted my spousal visa application to the LA consulate...

But another forum member asked me why, even though I'm from PA, I had to send my application all the way to the consulate in LA. I had always believed my application would go through NY, but when I submitted my application, the instructions clearly stated it had to go through LA.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

Also, on behalf of sheateawholepie, what consulate do Maine applications go through?

Thanks!
Maria
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

• Liked: 6
Re: Which consulate to use
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 12:46:08 AM »
https://www.visainfoservices.com/Pages/Content.aspx?Tag=HowDoIApply_PAGE

You were right that your app was to go to LA.  Maine goes through NY.

It looks like Pennsylvania apps just started going to LA at the end of last year.  I have no idea why, but I'm wondering if maybe it's because the NY consulate also processes applications from various Caribbean and Central/South American countries?
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 12:57:30 AM »
I'm wondering if maybe it's because the NY consulate also processes applications from various Caribbean and Central/South American countries?

I think you're right.  Anyway, applicants have no say in what consulate their apps go to, it's automatic when you submit the online form.  There was actually someone on the forum not long ago, who ignored the instruction to send her application to a certain consulate, and sent it to the one she thought it should go to instead.  Needless to say, the results were disastrous. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 01:26:38 AM »
I think you're right.  Anyway, applicants have no say in what consulate their apps go to, it's automatic when you submit the online form.  There was actually someone on the forum not long ago, who ignored the instruction to send her application to a certain consulate, and sent it to the one she thought it should go to instead.  Needless to say, the results were disastrous. 

I could imagine... I had read conflicting things about which consulate to send my application to. I heard both NY and LA... so I wasn't completely surprised when it listed the address for the LA consulate.

I couldn't imagine ignoring an instruction like that! I am so obsessive about every single step. haha
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 02:42:20 AM »
I'd have completely expected my application to go to NY, so I'm glad to read this now rather than later, because I probably would have freaked out at being told to send my application to LA.  I mean, even if NY is too busy, why LA? Why not Chicago? 
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 02:50:30 AM »
I'd have completely expected my application to go to NY, so I'm glad to read this now rather than later, because I probably would have freaked out at being told to send my application to LA.  I mean, even if NY is too busy, why LA? Why not Chicago? 

Agreed. Why is that? When LA is clearly overloaded...

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 02:55:41 AM »
Agreed. Why is that? When LA is clearly overloaded...

Looking for logic in immigration procedure is like looking for penguins in the Sahara.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 03:03:34 AM »
Looking for logic in immigration procedure is like looking for penguins in the Sahara.

A truer statement has never been spoken. (typed) ;)

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 03:17:26 AM »
Awww, thanks princesslemons! Hehe! Posting by proxy!

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 03:25:33 AM »
Awww, thanks princesslemons! Hehe! Posting by proxy!

Anytime! ;D I do what I can...

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 04:29:44 AM »
This appears to be a god-awful (excuse me, if I have offended) mess.  Does anyone have any insight on this?

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 04:40:13 AM »
This appears to be a god-awful (excuse me, if I have offended) mess.  Does anyone have any insight on this?

All I've heard is that there's been some IT problems with LA, and they had the issue with biometrics last month but I think they sorted that out (it seems to be anyway since people have been approved for settlement visas since the problem started, or maybe the IT and biometric issues were combined, I'm not sure). I'm curious to see at what capacity the consulates are running at with the swine flu issue running about--I heard that both the US and UK were closing down non-essential consulate duties in Mexico at least due to it, but I'm not sure what the Brits are doing here in the US. It's just a thought, but like others have said, trying to make sense out of the consulates is about as accurate as those 1-900 psychic phone lines  :-\\\\

*puts on google hat*
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 07:16:51 AM »
All I've heard is that there's been some IT problems with LA, and they had the issue with biometrics last month but I think they sorted that out (it seems to be anyway since people have been approved for settlement visas since the problem started, or maybe the IT and biometric issues were combined, I'm not sure). I'm curious to see at what capacity the consulates are running at with the swine flu issue running about--I heard that both the US and UK were closing down non-essential consulate duties in Mexico at least due to it, but I'm not sure what the Brits are doing here in the US. It's just a thought, but like others have said, trying to make sense out of the consulates is about as accurate as those 1-900 psychic phone lines  :-\\\\

*puts on google hat*

Cool where did you read that they April 2nd biometrics data loss has been resolved? Because I would really like to find out how they resolved it.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 07:27:15 AM »
Cool where did you read that they April 2nd biometrics data loss has been resolved? Because I would really like to find out how they resolved it.

I thought they resolved it by putting fingers in their ears, closing their eyes and pretending there was no April 2nd biometrics data. :) (ie. making people redo the apps)
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 07:28:15 AM »

I actually don't know for sure--I've been trying to find something definite online but my searches haven't brought anything up yet :( I just know that at least one person got their visa after the mess up once they sorted out their resubmitted app and biometrics. I'm just trying to come up with some ideas of why LA might be falling behind or whatever  :-[

I thought they resolved it by putting fingers in their ears, closing their eyes and pretending there was no April 2nd biometrics data. :) (ie. making people redo the apps)

This, unfortunately. It's the most likely scenario methinks.
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*