Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anti Social Behaviour against foreigners in the UK  (Read 10329 times)

• Liked: 2
Anti Social Behaviour against foreigners in the UK
« on: April 23, 2019, 08:10:37 AM »
There has been a marked increase in various forms of anti social behaviour against foreigners in the UK since the Brexit vote. Have you experienced any of it? I have. And police do absolutely nothing about it.

I have had:

- rubbish dumped at my front door, more than once. rubbish put in my bins, on top of my bins, my bins moved down the road or knocked over
- my car aerial taken twice, with other bits of my car being messed with
- my door being  knocked on at 5am when its pitch black outside, leaving me terrified
- some of the things I have outside the property being smashed
- certain neighbours never speaking to me, but being super friendly to everyone else
- the chav's family accepting parcels for me, then not giving them to me

I have had to purchase two cameras - and since then, not as many incidents

But the point is, the sentiment is still there, and I never did anything to warrant such treatment.

I know who is doing it, I have evidence, it's a local chav loser in his twenties who still lives with his parents, but again police wont' do anything. They treat ME with spite... Claim it's my "perception", etc. so I just gave up telling them anything.

If you are a victim of this sort of thing, don't stand for it. We have a right to be here, and if they don't like it, it's their problem. x

• Liked: 533
Re: Anti Social Behaviour against foreigners in the UK
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 08:25:49 AM »
Is it any wonder that these sorts of things happen when it is official Government policy to make things "unpleasant" for immigrants? And these papers constantly printing awful ant-immigrant hate?

Tony Blair himself stated over the weekend that immigrants were "failing to integrate". Bullshit.

We are seeing a move towards racist fascism. Planned from the top, and picked up on by those who are looking for easy answers. It is a classic evil.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 08:33:32 AM »
I'm not condoning antisocial behaviour, it's despicable and the police should be acting, without a shadow of a doubt. I am sorry you are having to put up with it but what makes you think that you are being targeted because you are an American rather than for any other reason?

And you shouldn't have to, but for the sake of a quiet life, have you considered moving to a different area?

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 09:15:59 AM »
As per your other post, could you please share the statistics on this please? My understanding from reports I've seen is that the rate for crimes targeting immigrants has decreased (even if it doesn't feel that way in the area you live, which obviously isn't great by any means).

Also, as Larrabee pointed out, are you sure that those bad experiences you've had are due to you being American and now just random because people are quite inconsiderate? Not sure if you live in more of a bigger town/city, but I can say that when we lived in Reading - as an example - we constantly had rubbish that had been dumped/blown on our front lawn by people who just are lazy and rude (there was a bin at one point to the front of our house as we had a bus stop there so it didn't require much effort). We also had come out one day to see my husband's soft top had been cut with a knife (probably some drunk person that thought it'd be fun/funny after a night out to vandalise a car and my husband's was an easy and noticeable target). My husband is English and most people now can't tell if I'm from the US or not so they weren't racially motivated, just due to the area we lived in at the time and it's proximity to town/walk back from the bars. Also, my neighbour just this weekend (on Saturday) had some type of mixed concrete dumped on his campervan that was quite expensive. He was thankfully able to get it off without much damage but it was looking at costing him somewhere around the £8k mark if it needed respraying. He's 100% English as is his wife and they are older so not even an issue where they have teenagers fighting with other teenagers or something. We live in a pretty safe and relatively low crime area but even then, you still end up getting some jerks who's idea of a good time is just destroying others property, unfortunately.

100% don't feel you should have to feel this way as it's not right (regardless of what the motivation is), but would also agree with the question about if you've thought about moving? Could that be an option for you at the moment? Obviously moving home is easier said than done, but it might help you feel a bit more comfortable so might be worth the headache.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 09:23:24 AM by x0Kiss0fDeath »
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 73
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 09:24:27 AM »
It sounds absolutely awful! I think it can just take one person to make your life a misery. We really don’t live in a 'good' area at all but my husband has not experienced any negative treatment at all. He is a very reserved person but seems to attract a lot of respect from our neighbours who are generally very friendly. There is one woman in our block who drinks and has caused problems in the past with other residents but we engage with her very carefully and luckily have been able to maintain a good relationship. I too would think about moving to a new area if I was experiencing the type of behaviour that you are. Life is too short to live with such discomfort!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

• Liked: 958
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 10:01:19 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/oct/16/hate-crime-brexit-terrorist-attacks-england-wales

So the statistics back up Dani's claim. But I do think it depends on the area and how educated people are. Unfortunately there really is a class system here, and in some it seems bad behaviour is acceptable and nothing is done about it. I was outraged by Blair's letter claiming migrants need to try harder to integrate when it's often British society that is anything but welcoming.

I dont have a solution except to keep recording and reporting incidents, and contacting the local council if police are not responding. But in the end, you want to live somewhere welcoming so considering another area of the country or a nearby town could be worth it.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 10:23:26 AM »
I'm going in.  This isn't in Homesickness or Hard Times so I can!  <sorry PhatBeetle>

Dani, you post so much hatred towards the British people, yet you choose to live here.  Why?  In one sentence you say how you've assimilated.  Then in the next, it's how *everyone* is against you and attacking you all the time.  Surely after being here 20 years, those around you know you as Dani - not "the American"? 

As you only respond to old posts and don't respond to any of the BONKERS statements you make afterwards - I can't help but feel as though you are not genuine and 100% here to cause trouble.  Just saying.

And if everything you've posted is true - you need to move and get some intense therapy.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 10:30:04 AM »
the rate for crimes targeting immigrants has decreased (even if it doesn't feel that way in the area you live, which obviously isn't great by any means).

Hate crimes spiked after the referendum.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 10:34:25 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/oct/16/hate-crime-brexit-terrorist-attacks-england-wales

So the statistics back up Dani's claim. But I do think it depends on the area and how educated people are. Unfortunately there really is a class system here, and in some it seems bad behaviour is acceptable and nothing is done about it. I was outraged by Blair's letter claiming migrants need to try harder to integrate when it's often British society that is anything but welcoming.

I dont have a solution except to keep recording and reporting incidents, and contacting the local council if police are not responding. But in the end, you want to live somewhere welcoming so considering another area of the country or a nearby town could be worth it.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/economics/Assets/Documents/job-market-candidates-2018-2019/JobMarketPaper-ClaudioSchilter.pdf

This seems to suggest that there was a spike right after the Brexit vote but that it reverted back about 6 weeks after the fact and they had also caveated that they couldn't properly measure things before Brexit (so unable to say how much it spiked exactly due to the cause).

Didn't read every single page of it, just the more important bits (such as the "conclusions" page) so may have missed something important along the way - just didn't have a chance to read it fully at the moment. it was quite interesting the bits that I did read though. it does seem to support that where you are located can and does make a difference.

I did see other articles as well that seemed to suggest there were spikes after bigger acts of terrorism (which would make sense) more so than Brexit itself.

Will try to find the other articles/reports in a bit that seemed to suggest it decreased overall and see if maybe there were some factors that might have skewed things in there compared to the link you've just shared.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 10:36:06 AM »

I was outraged by Blair's letter claiming migrants need to try harder to integrate when it's often British society that is anything but welcoming.

Blair has absolutely no self-awareness.

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 10:36:37 AM »
Hate crimes spiked after the referendum.

Initially, yes, but the reports I saw suggested it settled and went back down quite quickly afterwards.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 10:38:35 AM »
That is the very definition of "spike".

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 10:46:06 AM »
That is the very definition of "spike".

Yes but the vote for Brexit was in 2016 (if I'm remembering correctly). It's now 2019.

Dani's opening statement of "here has been a marked increase in various forms of anti social behaviour against foreigners in the UK since the Brexit vote. " is suggesting that they have continued to increase. She did not say "The brief spike in hate crimes" or use the word spike at all.

I'm not saying they have or haven't increased. My statement was that I've heard they've actually decreased in more recent times and was looking for facts/figures to back up the fact that they have continued to grow since the Brexit vote. Anecdotal evidence provided can't be linked to hate crimes specifically based on the information given by Dani. They are unfortunate and are personal experiences I don't want anybody to have to deal with (especially when living in acountry you weren't born and raised in or made to feel welcome in), but they are just that...personal experiences. Facts and figures can't paint a bigger picture for the country as a whole vs. individual areas. This is what I was looking to understand.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 10:47:39 AM »
Moreover, a great evil of this talk of "integration" is that it places the burden on the victim. Did that guy hit me because he is mean? Or because I have not integrated enough? Did I do something wrong? Maybe I shouldn't be here.

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 10:53:27 AM »
Moreover, a great evil of this talk of "integration" is that it places the burden on the victim. Did that guy hit me because he is mean? Or because I have not integrated enough? Did I do something wrong? Maybe I shouldn't be here.

Completely agree - which is why I think some people (myself included) have taken issue with Dani's posts because she's used this tone in her writing on multiple occasions.

To be clear: nobody has the right  to put their hands on you or harass you - especially because of where you happened to be born. You shouldn't have to "assimilate better/integrate more" to feel safe and not harassed. (in case I haven't made my standpoint clear on how people should treat each other lol)
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links