Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where can I find...  (Read 1803 times)

• Liked: 0
Where can I find...
« on: December 03, 2003, 03:05:49 AM »
Hi there people,

I am hoping someone will know where I can buy Mountain Dew in a store in Central London. I have ordered some from the internet but it is very expensive and I can't bring it quick when my girlfriend is in need!  Also, it would be wonderful if anyone knew if it is possible to get Cheetos (sp?) here as I think every day without them weakens her.

In response to the people who can't find decent mexican food anywhere, why not try Cafe Pacifico in Covent Garden? It's on Langley Street about 2 minutes walk from the tube station.  Most Americans I have taken there have found it to be some of the best on offer just about anywhere. Especially good salsa! I know it's been mentioned on the board before, but, it's so good the word has to be spread.  

Thats all for now..

-George

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: Where can I find...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 09:41:03 AM »
I share your gf's thirst for Mountain Dew. I happen to live within a couple miles from one of those online places, so it's not difficult to get there in person. I can't vouch for London, but I think you might be stuck with online ordering.

Pepsi manufactures Mountian Dew and has its Europe distribution in central Europe.
Pepsi in Central Europe
Road trip to Slovakia, anyone?
My brother who lives in Germany can pick up Mountains of Dew, but I don't know if it's strictly sold in the PX where he is.

I think a letter-writing campaign is in order!

Executive Management Headquarters              
PepsiAmericas
4000 Dain Rauscher Plaza
60 South Sixth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
info@pepsiamericas.com

I'm not extremely hopeful, however. Somewhere along the line I did hear that the caffeine content of Dew is what's holding it back from coming in this country under general pepsi distribution. (I mean, afterall, we do have Pepsi here.) although, I could find nothing in their web site to indicate any reason, just a vow from management that their goal is to increase sales in Europe.

I think I have an idea how.  ;D

Can't advise on the Cheetos.  :-/

Will def check out Cafe Pacifico!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 11:41:27 AM »
Also, it would be wonderful if anyone knew if it is possible to get Cheetos (sp?) here as I think every day without them weakens her.

If I remember correctly there are two kinds of Cheetos ... the crunchy and the sort of puffy kind.  The cheese flavoured Wotsits (think What's it) taste like the puffy kind and there's another snack that's similar to the crunchy one, but I can't remember the name right now.  I'll look next time I go to the store.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 03:08:09 PM »

Well Iam lucky I guess cause I drink Coke.I could never understand why just Coke and not Pepsi products in England ???

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 03:45:37 PM »

Also, it would be wonderful if anyone knew if it is possible to get Cheetos (sp?) here as I think every day without them weakens her.

George its so funny the way you put that.  Its like her kryptonite.  LOL good luck in finding the Cheetos.  
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 07:28:24 PM »
I also had to laugh about the Cheetos comment. My Brit hubby just loves the stuff and has my mom send him some whenever she sends a care package to us.
I hope you find some cheetos soon.

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 10:08:12 PM »
George, I feel her pain with the cheetos. Wotsits are close enough to get me by but they're just not the same. My husband also brings me all kinds of "cheesy poofs" to try and satisfy my cravings and to be honest, I'm not that fussy when it comes to that delightful snack food. I love 'em!  [smiley=smitten.gif]

I miss proper 7up more than Mountain Dew though. I've always preferred the Pepsi products but always liked 7up more than the Dew. I guess I've always drank too much coffee to need even more caffeine.

As for cheese, I do love proper mature cheddar but can also devour a can of cheese with some Ritz no problem. I think I may be a cheesaholic.  [smiley=embarassed.gif]

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 11:08:24 PM »
Yeah I think I might write to those people! Maybe they will see the error of their ways and sell us mountain dew. Speaking of pepsi products I really hope they bring their vanilla pepsi over here as I much preferred the diet vanilla pepsi to the diet vanilla coke. I was so surprised when I tried it and it was actually good, but now I could do with some here in England.

I have heard reports from people that there is a sweets/candy shop in Bluewater somewhere and at the back of it they often sell mountain dew and cherry(is this real??) mountain dew when they have some in stock. Perhaps there is a similar candy store in London somewhere that no one knows about yet that could save the day.

I have a friend in Oxford who told me there is a store there now that is run by an expat american selling exclusively american goods like oreos and pepperidge farm goldfish.  I can find out the name and exactly location if anyone lives nearby and wants to know!

Thanks so much for all the feedback you guys are great. Special thanks to all the fellow cheese lovers for expressing their solidarity  :D

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 04:44:15 AM »
 Ta George,I would like to know the name and location if it is not too much trouble for you.

My husband was born in Oxford,and he told me once we go back,then he will take me there for a visit.If I found a store like that there,then it would be an extra bonus [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2003, 08:32:33 AM »
Definitely I'd like to know where that store in Oxford is. We do have reason to go into Oxford every now and then. And it doesn't surprise me to have such a store there since there is such a large American student population there. Heck, do you think Chelsea might have been able to help out?
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2003, 02:11:46 PM »
No clue on the Mountain Dew front... However, you can get cheetos at South African stores--they call them Nik Naks.  You have to get the proper South African ones though in orignal flavour.  They are the same as Cheetos.  However, if you get the Nik Naks at Asda or other mainstream store they will be in wierd flavours, like spicy, etc.

THere is a shop in Richmond that sells them--just near the train station.

Good Luck!!
Kat

PS the only good mexican place i have found is in Cheltenham called That Mexican Place, near the odeon cinema.
"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."   Mrs Patrick Campbell (1865-1940) English Actress

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2003, 04:36:40 PM »
Hi,

I spoke to my friend in Oxford about this store... and here are the details! :)

It's called East West Provisions on Woodstock Road in a little parade of shops in a mostly residential area.  Here's a little map.

http://www.upmystreet.com/map?l1=OX2+6HJ [nofollow]

Sells all the American things you could hope for.  Usually he sells mountain dew, just not when I sent my friend there looking!  I asked the guy in there if he sells Cheetos and he says no he doesn't, but its a good idea and he will try and bring some in.

Thanks for the idea about South African Nik Naks, I'll try the South Africa store down in Covent Garden (which is also the Australia Store, the New Zealand Store and the Canada Store) and where I buy Kraft dinners from.

-George

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2003, 04:41:04 PM »

Ta George,bless you :)

• LisaE

• Well House Consultants
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2003, 01:50:35 PM »
Most excellent! Will have to check it out!

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2003, 04:43:22 PM »
Have checked it out on Lisa's behalf ... came home with some Goldfish.  "We have some American products", but no Mountain Dew (I was offered standard UK 7 Up) and no tinned pumpkin - looked at me as is I was mad when I asked .... perhaps I am  :-/

Yes, Oxford IS a lovely place to visit - I recommend everyone sees it at least once.   Just don't make a special trip to pick up American Products, and if possible use public transport to get there - train, or bus from the park and ride.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 04:46:43 PM by grahame »
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab