Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: First Overseas Trip with New UK Passport - Question  (Read 219 times)

• Liked: 50
First Overseas Trip with New UK Passport - Question
« on: May 01, 2024, 01:50:01 PM »
Hi all - I'm soon to travel 'home' for a 1-month vacation in Canada, first overseas trip since I got the UK passport.

I assume I must use the UK passport when I return back to the UK.
But I wonder if I should therefore use the UK passport on every leg of my journey - to enter Canada, and to fly within Canada as well?
Or should I use my Canada passport to enter Canada and to fly within Canada?
It feels like it's more correct to use the same passport for every leg of my journey, and not to enter different passport numbers at different stages of the journey.

I'd love to know what others have done, and as always, all advice is appreciated!!

• Liked: 722
Re: First Overseas Trip with New UK Passport - Question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 06:44:59 PM »
When I travel to the USA I have to legally use my US passport to enter, and I then use my UK passport when traveling back because I am going back to the UK to live so I have to prove my right to live there.

I think it will be the same with Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/entry-requirements-country.html

Canadian citizens
Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, need a valid Canadian passport. American-Canadians can travel with a valid Canadian or U.S. passport.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 06:47:23 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 09:02:11 AM »
Thanks for sharing your approach.

So - you are saying I should use the passport of each country to enter that country - is that what people generally do?

I'd love to hear from others who have travelled back to US or Canada with their new UK passport.

Cheers

• Liked: 3597
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 09:52:48 AM »
For the US, it’s illegal for a US citizen to enter or leave the country on a foreign passport, so there’s no choice there. Therefore you need to book the travel using the US passport details, and show the US passport when leaving the U.K. and entering and leaving the US, and only use the UK passport when returning to the UK.

It looks like it’s the same for Canada as well:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 722
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 02:25:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing your approach.

So - you are saying I should use the passport of each country to enter that country - is that what people generally do?

I'd love to hear from others who have travelled back to US or Canada with their new UK passport.

Cheers

The fact that it is illegal for a Canadian citizen to enter Canada for any reason on another passport and that it is illegal for anyone to enter the UK for the purpose of living or working without a valid visa or passport should be reason enough.  In addition, the passport control lines are likely to be shorter for returning citizens to both Canada and the UK if you use the right passport.

Last week we returned as a family from a holiday in Belgium via Eurostar in Brussels and our daughter's partner, who lives in England, traveled on his US Passport. On returning we all had to go through exit controls in Brussels before UK passport control a few meters later. (It was the same at St Pancras, with UK exit control followed immediately by EU passport control).  Exit control is to check that you have been staying the country legally so our American member showed his US Passport and BRP card while leaving the UK but only presented his US passport on leaving Belgium at which point he was asked why he was going to England and had to produce his BRP card at that point, as well as at UK passport control immediately after (he didn't need or show his BRP when he entered Belgium as a visitor so didn't prent t when leaving).  This goes to show that you can never be 100% certain on what to expect at the various border control points.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 01:01:00 PM »
Thank you for this info - very helpful indeed!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab