Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wishy Washy Name Changer  (Read 634 times)

• Liked: 1
Wishy Washy Name Changer
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:21:37 PM »
Background:  BF and I have *I think* decided to marry in the US (without any ceremony), apply for spousal visa and then have a "real" wedding in a year or so.
I have read a lot about name changes on this forum, but I seem to be the minority that I dont really care to change my last name (especially not after the boring US offical marriage)... It looks like that wont cause me any trouble and is actally easier than if I wanted to, BUT what if after we have the "real" wedding I change my mind?   Will this be possible if I have technically already been married for a year or more, and THEN want to change my last name?

• Liked: 12
Re: Wishy Washy Name Changer
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:31:18 PM »
You can change your name by deed poll at any time, I believe.  But I seem to remember that in the UK you could legally call yourself anything without any further folderol.  Is that an old custom or does it still apply, anybody know?
When we married, I wasn't going to change my surname, but the stupid bank gave me a hard time whenever I tried to deposit cheques made out to Mr. and Mrs. ....  How did they know they weren't meant for my MIL, they asked!! ::)  So I decided to add DH's name after mine (I never had a middle name anyway) and had to go and get passport, US license and SSN changed.  And everybody tries to hyphenate it -- even my mother did that!
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:35:52 PM »
It is still the case under UK law then, when married, you can choose which name to use.  If you want to change everything to your married name, just present the marriage certificate.

Vicky

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 07:42:53 PM »
It is still the case under UK law then, when married, you can choose which name to use. 

Easy peasy. So you can change to your married name at any time post-marriage?  There isnt a time frame you are given in which to do it?

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:32:53 PM »
It is still the case under UK law then, when married, you can choose which name to use.  If you want to change everything to your married name, just present the marriage certificate.

Vicky

Ah, good. I understand the custom in the UK is to change your name to Firstname Middlename Hislastname, but I have a really eccentric middle name I'd like to shed. Whereas my Firstname Maidenname Hislastname sounds peachy keen. I thought I'd have to deedpoll that sucker.

We're doing a church wedding (aiiii!). Do I have to tell the vicar how the paperwork should read?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 08:52:52 PM »
unforunatly, I think you're wrong statula.

if you want to go from MyFirst MyMiddle MyLast to..... MyFirst MyLast OtherLast you need a deedpoll or statutory declaration. 

ONLY if you're going from MyFirst MyMiddle MyLast to.... MyFirst MyMiddle OtherLast can you just use the marriage certificate as 'name change proof'

I'm a USC- and i was going to change my name as detailed above.  I would have needed a Statutory Declaration to get a new SS Card, Passport, etc.

If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 09:00:32 PM »
Oh, thanks. I misread, then. I'm not creating a new lastname by hyphenating mine and his together so I thought I'd be okay. I'd really like to shed my middle names (plural); they're kind of silly and fun, but they've caused me no end of spelling troubles in the US and would be impossible in the UK.

So are we talking about presenting my wedding certificate -and- whatever paperwork I get from the lawyer when I get new ID?

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 09:11:03 PM »
from what i understand about UK Name Change Statutory Declarations- is that you don't have to have a solicitor draft or notorize them.  You can draft yourself using the many templates available online- and then have the Court Notarize them. 

You would use this as your proof of name change.  no need to show your marriage license at all.
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 09:26:01 PM »
Oh, thanks. I misread, then. I'm not creating a new lastname by hyphenating mine and his together so I thought I'd be okay. I'd really like to shed my middle names (plural); they're kind of silly and fun, but they've caused me no end of spelling troubles in the US and would be impossible in the UK.

So are we talking about presenting my wedding certificate -and- whatever paperwork I get from the lawyer when I get new ID?

I've never used my middle name in the UK - yes, it's on my passport and my marriage certificate, but that's it.  My middle initial is on everything else, like my bank account and driving licence, and the few times I've needed to sign my name, I don't even use the middle initial...
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Banned

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 09:36:37 PM »
If your surname is being switched to marriedname, then the marriage certificate will suffice.

You don't need a stat dec or deed poll to change your middle name.  So you can do what you want without having to go through this, but it might be easier for you in the long run if you do.

Vicky

• Liked: 3
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 10:19:45 PM »
I wasn't going to change my name after we get married in the US because I didn't want to wait around for a new passport, etc before I applied for my visa. It was my understanding that the only time this could cause us hassle was if we booked travel under my husband's name and I would have to bring my marriage certificate. Is there more hassle than this?? I forgot about the checks in my married name thing. Can I change my name at the bank (or just add my partner's name to the end of mine), but not change it anywhere else?

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 11:21:34 PM »
My bank account was set up in my married name even though my passport was in my maiden name.  I just had to take a copy of my marriage certificate to the bank to show that I was legally justified in giving them that name that wasn't on my passport.  It was easy.

The one thing I do recommend if you don't change all your docs immediately after the US wedding (I didn't have time to bother and didn't change passports and such until they expired and I applied for new ones) is to get extra copies of your marriage certificate.  When I got the registered copy for my visa app, I just payed a few bob for extra certified copies.  This turned out to be a huge help as I used my marriage certificate a lot when I first got here b/c all my US stuff was still in my maiden name and I chose to put my UK stuff in my married name.

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 07:43:25 AM »
That's exactly how I did it as well - the second original of my marriage certificate is starting to look a bit tattered, but it has certainly come in handy in making these changes.  I still haven't made any changes in the US, but will start doing that soon when I change the name in my passport...
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
Okay, thanks!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab