Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Postgraduate student - when to apply for visa?  (Read 461 times)

• Liked: 0
Postgraduate student - when to apply for visa?
« on: January 09, 2009, 03:20:11 PM »
Hello all!  I will be starting a postgraduate program in the fall in the uk (still deciding on which school) and was wondering when I should begin applying for my visa.  What's the earliest I can apply?  What's the 4 monteh entry clearance window all about?

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: Postgraduate student - when to apply for visa?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 03:43:43 PM »
Are your referring to Tier 1 - Post Study Work or planning on studying in the UK?
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 03:47:49 PM »
I will be studying in the UK. Thanks for the links!  It looks like I can't have entry clearance post-dated for more than 3 months prior to entry.  Does that mean I can apply anytime, but I just can't get clearence for entry for up to 3 months before?  I'm a bit confused.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 03:57:35 PM »
The international departments at the uni can help with these questions, as they deal with these visas daily. 

• Liked: 31
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 04:00:32 PM »
If you'll be starting in September/October, the best time to apply is the early summer- June or July. Getting into August they start getting quite busy, and because most UK courses start in early October, they are completely swamped in September. Don't buy a ticket until you have the visa, but you can ask for your entry clearance to be dated for around the time you want to go, e.g. entry clearance starts from 1 September. You have to enter within a defined period, so the post-dating is for people who want to apply in advance but don't want the visa to start too early so that they miss the window for entering.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 04:05:56 PM »
and if you're applying for a student loan to help fund your studies, do so as soon as possible. processing a federal loan for an international school can easily take 2-3 months, or longer if you don't keep on top of things.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

Sponsored Links