Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spouse Visa - looking for a saint to help  (Read 629 times)

• Liked: 0
Spouse Visa - looking for a saint to help
« on: May 16, 2008, 02:56:43 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've been a lurker on here for a while and just registered... I on the hunt for a samaritan.

I am UK citizen living in the US with my wife (a yank of course), we were married 8 months ago and want to move back to Blighty.  I've read lots of old posts about spouse visas and got a bunch if useful information but was wondering if anyone here would be able to help further. 

I know everyone always says their case is a-typical (im thinking mine is too), is there anyone here i could private message to discuss the evidence I've gathered for a Spouse Visa application?  I know its a big ask, especially from a stranger, but im just looking for someone with a lot of knowledge of UK immigration to pretty much comment on how strong our application looks?

I've been looking into this stuff for a few months now, i've read past posts, read the info provided by the Immigration Advisory Servce, looked at consulate and home office web pages, read UK spouse immigration legislation, and tried to find a lawyer (but was astounded at how much they charge even for a consult).  Im not sure if i've made things overly complicated and if im stressing myself out for not good reason.  I'd be happy to discuss reimbursements for advice if necessary (although i prob. wont be able to go as high as past quotes from lawyers).

If there is anyone who'd be able to help, i really cannot stress how much i'd appreciate it....

Thanks in advance for reading my essay  :)

Re: Spouse Visa - looking for a saint to help
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 03:03:08 PM »
I think Vicky offers a document check for a reasonable fee. You will find her posts in other threads (probably most of the threads!) on this board, and can just PM her from there.

You might want to try sending her a PM, or she might be along shortly.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 03:15:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply,

Vicky? Would that be screen name VictoriaS??

Thankyou

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 03:22:13 PM »
Yep, that's Vicky.

I know you said that you've read through a lot of the threads here, but you might want to try posting your situation. It might not be as a-typical as you think

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 03:38:46 PM »
Suppose it cant hurt,

Since we got married we've been going through US immigration hell, its going nowhere, i've lost faith in my lawyer and i just dont know what to think anymore.  The word 'immigration' now fills me with dread  :\\\'(

We've always planned on moving back to the UK but just before christmas my brother (very similar in age) died quite suddenly and unexpectidly.  My mum who was already widowed has taken this very badly and my wife and i feel that the combination of the two make us want to be back in England.

We met in Australia when we were both grad students, after i finished my course i came to the US and we got married.  We'll be moving back to England without jobs, so this is what i've gathered evidence wise so far.... (sorry its a bit long)

The relationship – We have tons of evidence to prove our marriage is genuine.  We have our current lease agreement, joint car insurance certificates, photos, wedding pictures, receipts from the wedding, emails to one another, greetings cards sent to us from friends and family

Employment/finance – We’ll both be going to England without work, to prove our financial independence we have:
-Updated CV’s for both of us
-University qualifications, my wife is an undergraduate, I am a postgraduate
-References – I have 2 references from previous employers and 1 University reference (all references are very complimentary, the work references are from blue chip global corporations).  My wife has 2 references from her current work (again very complimentary), and 1 from temporary work she undertook whilst in Australia.
-My work Experience – I am a recent graduate in Town Planning and have been applying for work in the UK.  At present I have 2 applications for planning work in local councils under review; I had a 3rd with a letter calling me for interview, but the interviews came around too quickly for me to attend.  I do however have email contact with the interview panel placing me within the top 15 candidates out of the 70 that applied and comments that I should contact them on my return to the UK.  I also have email contact with 3 job agencies asking me to get in touch when I arrive home.  Prior to completing my masters I worked in corporate procurement roles for several years and would be able to do temp work in that field until finding planning work.
-My wife’s work experience – My wife is a social worker, she has 5 years experience but would need to register with the GSCC before being able to work in UK.  Whilst that process is going through she can work in Unqualified/support social worker roles and has contact with 2 UK job agencies willing to help her.  She has also worked in higher end silver service and cocktail bartending, has a reference for her ability to do this work and could do that on a temporary basis.
-I have an internet based print out showing that both Town Planners and Social Workers fall into UK local council top 10 ten current skill shortages.
-We also have $US 6500 in savings … We can show our joint checking account activity for 3 months (never gone overdrawn) and can get a signed letter from the bank showing how much is in our savings and when the account was opened (shortly after we were married)

Accommodation – We’ll be staying with my Mum temporarily.  She lives alone is a 5 bedroom house in a small town in Cheshire.  To prove this we have:
-Letter from her supporting this
-Recent photos of the house
-Original real estate surveyors report of the house detailing room sizes.
-A solicitor certified copy of mums title deeds showing her to be title absolute holder with details of the land registry number
-A recent utility bill proving she still lives there
-Budget – I still have to draw together a budget for what we’ll be paying mum per month to stay, I’m thinking it will be around 600 GBP???

How does that sound?  Im really not sure what to make of UK immigration, I have friends who married non-UK citizens who say they exprienced no real issues with the system.  Both have said the main concerned seemed to be proving the relationship was genuine... Then again, i've read posts which say finance is a huge thing... 

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 03:58:05 PM »
saintsearch, it's not clear what you think is atypical about this.  From my viewpoint, it's about as typical as you can get.

Which part do you think is weak or somehow atypical?

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 04:00:10 PM »
Hello!

The main thing will be the finances.  If your mum owns the house outright then you don't have to pay rent, but the application needs to be presented in a way which proves that not doing so won't result in being a drain on her finances.  You will therefore need to budget for a share of bills, food, council tax etc.

If you'd like me to help, please PM me.  But I agree it's not atypical.

Vicky

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 04:02:52 PM »
Sorry to hear about your brother.

I know many people on this forum have found UK immigration slightly easier than US immigration.

Hopefully some of the more knowledgable posters will come by, but I think it sounds like you are pretty well on top of things.There are lots of people who move over before they have jobs, and as you say, it's mostly a problem of demonstrating that you have your finances in order, and can support yourselves while you look for jobs. You'll find lots of threads like that around here, with proposed budgets and all.

cross posted with vicky and garry
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 04:08:43 PM by kate_mate »

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 04:08:48 PM »
Just to reply to Garry...

I suppose i was unsure what UK immigration would make of the past 8 months... To say we've been screwed over would be an understatement, its been issue after issue, i've still not even been granted an interim work permit.

I was also concerned about me being a 'newbie' graduate in my profession, i wasnt sure if the UK would like that.

I think bottom line, my experiences over here have left me totally paranoid about immigration services.   

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 04:15:04 PM »
Hi saintsearch,
Sorry to hear about your brother as well.

I think your story sounds quite similar to mine. This can all be overwhelming because there is so much to read, but I think what makes it hard for you and I compared to a lot of people on here is that you and your husband are both moving to the UK at the same time and hence neither of you has a job already in the UK.

How many regular couples really have 6 months of savings available? Especially young couples who are more likely to be moving around. Now convert those $ savings into £'s and you need really a years savings. :o

Best of luck to you.

-Brian

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
I think bottom line, my experiences over here have left me totally paranoid about immigration services.   

If your paranoia bestows diligence, then you'll be fine. 

On the genuine marriage thing, the US is a fast-track country and they are not too bothered about the possibility of marriages of convenience with Americans.  Your certificate will be fine.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 05:53:06 PM »
Thats good to know... That's at least one thing I dont need to stress about.

THanks for the comments guys... Hey, maybe there are some saints left... I was beginning to have my doubts  ;)

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 06:04:17 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your brother and your difficulty you've had with immigration up to this point. 

It sounds fine, and I think Vicky has covered the money thing.  I hope this round of immigration stuffs go better! :)

• Paul & Terri O'Neale
    • Special Start Birth
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 06:52:42 PM »
I'd like to chime in and reassure you. DH and I were also very frustrated with the US immigration process...and eventually gave up after 9 months apart. But even with the changes in the past 2 years since I came over on a spousal visa, I think you will find the UK visa a refreshing change of pace. I think that your evidence sounds good. I know that my emails and correspondence with recruiters carried alot of weight in our application. But if you can afford it...I highly recommend Vicky.
Terri P O'Neale

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 11:09:02 AM »
Thank you all for doing my PR for me!

;D

Vicky

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab