Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Marriage Visa (6 months)  (Read 1690 times)

• Liked: 7
Re: Marriage Visa (6 months)
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »
I'll try not to, it's just so hard! But I really hope you're right! Hopefully I get a reply from an ECO about it soon! Plus, I don't see why I couldn't just dash out to the ACIS or whatever it is to re-enroll my biometrics at the drop of a hat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May 17, 2014: Arrived in England on Fiancé Visa, July 24, 2014: Married my husband, September 19, 2014: had our wedding with friends and family, October 4, 2014: Granted first Further Leave to Remain (m)!!!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2014, 02:33:13 AM »
Potentially stupid question.

Can I apply to settle after we're married? Or would I have to return to the USA and then apply?

I'll be able to meet the financial requirement alone by July, could I apply to settle then? Not leaving for the UK until August. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 02:38:26 AM by JGardener »

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2014, 02:41:11 AM »
Unfortunately if you go to the UK on a marriage visitor visa, that's all it is- a visit, and you are not allowed to switch to another visa while in the country. The only way you would be able to do that is if you had applied for and been granted a fiancé/proposed civil partner visa, because that is considered a settlement visa whereas marriage visa is just to allow you to come to the country for a marriage to take place and then return to your home country
You can apply for a spousal visa once you are back in the States though

May 17, 2014: Arrived in England on Fiancé Visa, July 24, 2014: Married my husband, September 19, 2014: had our wedding with friends and family, October 4, 2014: Granted first Further Leave to Remain (m)!!!

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2014, 02:42:35 AM »
Unfortunately if you go to the UK on a marriage visitor visa, that's all it is- a visit, and you are not allowed to switch to another visa while in the country. The only way you would be able to do that is if you had applied for and been granted a fiancé/proposed civil partner visa, because that is considered a settlement visa whereas marriage visa is just to allow you to come to the country for a marriage to take place and then return to your home country
You can apply for a spousal visa once you are back in the States though

Also, for any spousal (or fiancé) type of visa, the financial requirement must be met by your sponsor (the UK citizen) alone

• Liked: 0
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2014, 02:48:31 AM »
Ah ok, what's the processing time on that?

Thank you for the swift reply!

Marriage Visa (6 months)
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2014, 03:00:40 AM »
For settlement visas? Well processing times are always changing and they can take up to 12 weeks I believe
When my fiancé visa was delivered in Sheffield on March 13th, I was still waiting for a decision, and was informed (after emailing them) that it would have still been a few more WEEKS, but I purchased the priority processing on Monday, and on Tuesday it was acknowledged and moved to the front of the the queue and on Thursday morning they had made a decision and sent the email stating a decision was made, and now I will have my visa delivered, in my passport and in my hands Monday morning!(:
But like I said, it's always changing, just at the end of January/beginning of February applications were being processed in a matte of days without priority,
I read that summer months are the worst because of the influx of student visa applications and what not... So maybe it depends on the time of year? Or it could just be random? I'm not too sure because there's never really a good way to tell lol

• Liked: 170
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2014, 06:01:39 PM »

I'll be able to meet the financial requirement alone by July, could I apply to settle then? Not leaving for the UK until August. 

Please bear in mind, the only way you can contribute to meeting the financial requirement, as the USC, is with savings... just in case you had missed that previous advice you've been given...
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2014, 09:11:29 PM »
Potentially stupid question.

Can I apply to settle after we're married? Or would I have to return to the USA and then apply?

Your ability to meet the financial requirement through salary won't work. Your sponsor has to meet it, not you. And she has to show proof of meeting it for at least six months.

Sponsored Links