Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ILR Life in the UK Test(was Just to let everyone know)  (Read 1958 times)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
Re: ILR Life in the UK Test(was Just to let everyone know)
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 12:28:47 PM »
You can take the test whenever you want, as long as you pass it before you apply for ILR. So I would think that the best thing to do would be to start studying as soon as you can, and take the test as soon as you can, depending on what is convenient for you based on what else is going on in your life.

But that is just what I would do.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 03:00:22 PM »
Although I wonder if they'd let one take it before they even have the 'proper' visa for settlement.  I'm here on a student visa, have gone through the COA and we're all set for the wedding with the registry office (June 21st), I wonder if they'd let me take it before the wedding?  Would be nice to get it out of the way...
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 03:10:56 PM »
You can take the test whenever you want, as long as you pass it before you apply for ILR.

I had my ILR a while before taking the test. Unless something has changed in the last six months this is incorrect information.
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 03:41:19 PM »
I had my ILR a while before taking the test. Unless something has changed in the last six months this is incorrect information.

No, sweetpeach is correct.  The Life in the UK test is now a requirement to recieve ILR (or rather, will be starting on 2 April 2007.) This is a new rule that was just announced at the beginning of December.  People who already have ILR only need to take the test if they want to apply for UK citizenship.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 03:56:21 PM »
No, sweetpeach is correct.  The Life in the UK test is now a requirement to recieve ILR (or rather, will be starting on 2 April 2007.) This is a new rule that was just announced at the beginning of December.  People who already have ILR only need to take the test if they want to apply for UK citizenship.

So the new regulation doesn't come into affect until April 2 ? This may make a big difference to some people.
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 03:59:42 PM »
So the new regulation doesn't come into affect until April 2 ? This may make a big difference to some people.

Yep, that's right. Those who apply for ILR on or after April 2 will have to pass the Life in the UK test to get it....those who apply prior to April 2 will not have to pass the test.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• York Interweb
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 04:16:31 PM »
Although I wonder if they'd let one take it before they even have the 'proper' visa for settlement.  I'm here on a student visa, have gone through the COA and we're all set for the wedding with the registry office (June 21st), I wonder if they'd let me take it before the wedding?  Would be nice to get it out of the way...

I don't know, but it might not be fair if there are only a limited number of spaces?

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 04:50:23 PM »
I suppose there's a possibility, plus who knows how the rules may have changed by the time I'm ready to apply for ILR?!  Best to wait!!
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• York Interweb
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 04:25:21 PM »
I am very curious as to the pass rates for this exam once it becomes effective for people seeking ILR.

Also, the change in the number of people who are renewing their FLR instead of applying for ILR, particularly because they weren't able to pass the test.  Particularly those who don't speak English well enough, who might have to renew their FLR until after they'd passed an English course.

Are there any predictions as to how this will affect the makeup of the population who receive ILR? Considering that, I think, it will have the greatest effect on people from non-EU, non-English-speakng countries.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 04:29:46 PM »
It will affect poor ethnic minorities.

Vicky

• York Interweb
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 04:37:49 PM »

Vicky

If that can be proven statistically, once the test goes into effect, could this create any political pressure to change the rules? Or does it not make a difference?

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 05:46:26 PM »

Vicky

Are there not any free English as a 2nd language classes? They must have a provision for that if they are changing the requirements? If folks don't learn the language of the country they live in....that in itself is going to keep them poor (it limits the work they can do). Example - if I moved to France and didn't learn the language...my job opportunities would be extremely limited, I would probably be jobless. I just think that its something that you have to consider when moving to a foreign country. To me its not an option not to speak the native language.

• Banned

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007, 05:59:54 PM »
At the moment there are free classes, but this is likely to change.  Even if it doesn't, the classes are totally over subscribed already, so many people are likely to have to wait a very long time before they will actually get a place on a class.

Vicky

• York Interweb
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2007, 06:32:36 PM »
I wasn't thinking about the cost of the ESOL classes. I was thinking that if someone is due to apply for ILR soon, and won't have time to learn English well enough before their previous leave to remain expires, they will have to pay an application fee to renew their old leave, and then pay another application fee for ILR later on, after they pass the test.  So they have to pay two application fees instead of one.

• Banned

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2007, 06:36:13 PM »
Sweetpeach, in my opinion this whole immigration system is designed to work against ethnic minorities, and few in this country seem to give a damn.  You are absolutely right that people will have to pay over an over again, and it is outrageous.

Vicky

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab