Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Romania and Bularia new EU members, some thoughts....  (Read 436 times)

• Liked: 0
Romania and Bularia new EU members, some thoughts....
« on: January 01, 2007, 11:16:36 AM »
First off, I lived in Romania for seven years and consider myself very pro-Romanian in the immigration debate.  However, for the first time since it was announced they would enter this year, I read in the news last night that they are allowed to enter on their identity cards.  They don't even need a passport to enter the country.

I must admit, I was gobsmacked with this news.  I must dig around and see if I can find my old "buletin" as they are called, perhaps I can scan it to show you what I mean.  Mine was flimsy green vinyl over cardboard with cheap paper, handwritten information, police stamp and a picture of me stapled inside.  No doubt they have upgraded it some, but it occurred to me how easy it would be to forge this card.  Ask anyone who has lived in Romania, people bribing the police to do all sorts of things happens on a daily basis.  Even forging the silly police stamp would be a doddle to a professional.  The potential for fraud from dishonest Romanians or from people coming from outside the EU (forging an identity card to look like a Bulgarian or Romanian) is enormous.

Secondly, won't they need passports to open bank accounts, get driver's licenses or will the ID card suffice?  I am curious.

I think the next few months will be interesting and I am predicting a back-peddling on the part of the HO as a result of what I consider to be some policies that seem, at best, well- a bit naive. (Just my opinions, and as I said- I'm a great fan of Romania- so nothing against them!)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab