Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Help needed!!!(spousal visa and citizenship for baby)  (Read 1071 times)

• Liked: 0
Help needed!!!(spousal visa and citizenship for baby)
« on: January 01, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
hi my hubby and i are new here. I am the british citizen and my husband is the american. I have been living with my husband with my greencard in the states for the past yr and a half. i am currently visiting the UK over christmas with my husband to vist my parents and we are due to return back to the states in a couple of days. i am also 6 months pregnant and through much thinking my hubby and i have decided to move back to the UK after our daughter is born. My parents want to sponser my hubby as i have no current savings in the UK as i havent been living there. What we need to know is what exactly do we need to show in evidence with our application and wich forms do we need. i have been on the UK visa website and its not too clear. Plus do we have to file a seperate visa for our as yet unborn child? HELP PLEASE!!

chrissy
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 11:31:03 AM by Mindy »

Re: Help needed!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 08:53:39 PM »
The only answer I know is the one about your unborn child. I was 6 months pregnant when I applied for my fiance visa,so no other visa is needed for your unborn child. Once your baby is born (in the uk) your child will be a uk citizen since you are one. You'll just have to register him or her at the registry office as usual

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 09:17:58 PM »
but our baby will be born in the US and then we'll move back to the UK when she is about three months....any ideas?

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
but our baby will be born in the US and then we'll move back to the UK when she is about three months....any ideas?

If you're a UK citizen (born in the UK) you will pass your citizenship on to your baby. 

• Tam
  • Girl Friday

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 09:26:54 PM »
If you're a UK citizen (born in the UK) you will pass your citizenship on to your baby. 

You can register your baby at the British consulate in DC if you wish though it is not essential in order to get her British passport. Details on britainusa.com.

First passports can take up to 6-8 weeks so be sure to get your ducks in a row.

It would be advisable to also apply for your daughter's US passport while still in the States as, otherwise, should you wish to take her back to the States for any reason, (for which she must enter on her US passport) you will have to travel to the US Embassy in London in order to apply.

As for the income thing, I didn't have any to show in the UK either and there was no problem as my Hubby and I had a joint bank account to show savings and a projected amount for the sale of our house in the US.
It really was that simple.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 09:32:09 PM »
thanks, basically my mother will be providing us with lodgings and jobs in  her business. we wont really have our own savings as we will be paying off remaining bills we have. any lists of things we need to include in our application? thanks again

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Help needed!!!(spousal visa and citizenship for baby)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 12:57:35 PM »
First of all, with regard to your child, it is not as straight forward as it sounds.

If you register your child in the US, then she will be British by descent.  This means that she will not be able to pass her British citizenship onto her children if they are born outside of the UK.  If you get her to the UK on a US passport and register her once you get to the UK, then she will be British other than by descent, so she will be able to pass her citizenship on to her children no matter where they are born.  This may be something that you wish to consider, especially if you may go back to the US at some point.

With regard to your husband's application, you will be the sponsor on the form, not your parents.  You can supply evidence that you will be supported by your parents, buyt you must make clear that this is going to be a temporary arrangement.

You can show savings held in the US as evidence of funds, and it will probably be a good idea to show that your husband has a good chance of getting employment soon.

Vicky

• Tam
  • Girl Friday

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 03:36:32 PM »
If you register your child in the US, then she will be British by descent.  This means that she will not be able to pass her British citizenship onto her children if they are born outside of the UK.

I was under the impression that if that child then resided in the UK for over a certain amount of time then there wasn't a problem with this.

If you get her to the UK on a US passport and register her once you get to the UK, then she will be British other than by descent, so she will be able to pass her citizenship on to her children no matter where they are born.

How would you go about this? I haven't heard of this being done before. Is there an age limit on the registration in the UK?

I'm curious as I never registered my son, just got his passport which he entered on when we moved here.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 04:24:16 PM »
I was under the impression that if that child then resided in the UK for over a certain amount of time then there wasn't a problem with this.

How would you go about this? I haven't heard of this being done before. Is there an age limit on the registration in the UK?

I'm curious as I never registered my son, just got his passport which he entered on when we moved here.

I've never heard of this either.  Plus, if your baby enters the UK on a  US passport you would have the added expense and hassle of having to get said baby a visa.  In my opinion you're better off getting a UK passport and letting the future generations worry about themselves.  :)

• Banned

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 10:53:42 AM »

Nope.  Once you are British by descent you can't change your status to British other than by descent

In my opinion you're better off getting a UK passport and letting the future generations worry about themselves.

I guess that is up to the OP, isn't it?  But it's certainly worth flagging the issue.

Vicky

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 11:04:27 AM »
So, my daughter who was born in Hungary (to British father and US mother) is British by descent, but my son who was born in Plymouth is British by birth?

That's fascinating and not something I recall them informing us about when we registered her birth in Hungary at the British Embassy.

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 11:20:02 AM »
So, my daughter who was born in Hungary (to British father and US mother) is British by descent, but my son who was born in Plymouth is British by birth?

That's fascinating and not something I recall them informing us about when we registered her birth in Hungary at the British Embassy.

I know that is how it worked in my family...my brother who was born in Suffolk is British by birth, while myself and my other two siblings are British by descent.  (Actually it's a BIT more complicated than that for us as it's my mother who is British and we were all born before 1983, but that's a topic for a different thread...)
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

• Banned

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 11:21:04 AM »
Unless your husband was on Crown Service in Hungary at the time...

Vicky

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 11:38:13 AM »
I am very sorry to hijack this thread but I have found this very interesting. I had no idea there was a difference in the type of British Citizenship and what it means in the future. It makes sense but I just never thought of it. My question is about those of us who are American and gain Citizenship later after living here long enough---how does that work? For instance my daughter who moved here with me and has two American Parents....what right will her children have for British citizenship? As I said it isn't something I ever thought of before.

Again apologies for sidetracking the topic.

• Banned

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 11:41:44 AM »
If you are naturalised as British then you will be 'British other than by descent'.  This means that you (and your daughter) will both have this status, which means that if your daughter returns home when she is older and had children in the US then her children will also be British, though they will be 'British by descent.' if she has kids in the UK, they will be British by descent...and so it goes on...

Vicky

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab