Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I regret moving back to the States  (Read 9305 times)

• Liked: 720
Re: I regret moving back to the States
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 12:14:20 PM »
Wonderful update Tommy!!!!!  So very pleased for you that you are in a happy place again.   :D

+1

Great update.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 248
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 01:11:43 PM »
One of life's great secrets is to be happy wherever you are.

Lovely news!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 02:06:28 PM »
Thanks for coming back to update us, Tommy. I'm happy things have worked out for you.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 12:11:29 AM »
The update is much appreciated! I often wonder what happened to people. I am glad you are feeling more comfortable where you are and with your decision and you should only begin to feel more comfortable as time goes on. I feel much better than I did 1-1.5 years ago though am still looking at returning.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 03:41:17 AM »
I just wanted to stop in and give another update. My ILR expires in four months. I feel conflicted about this.

On the one hand, my life is going okay at the moment in the US. I work an okay job that doesn't really pay that well and isn't that much fun, but, it's a job and could lead to other things down the road. I've been acting in the community for the last year and a half and have grown a lot through performing. It keeps me busy. I love the support of my family and value the fact that they are all so close. As I watch my parents slowly grow older and older, I cherish the moments I have with them (hopefully I have another 30 years or so with each of them). I know that this would be unsustainable if I were to move back to the UK.

And yet, I still miss it. I think about it every day. The people. The places. The green grass...the pubs, the accents, the diversity, all of it. I miss my friends. But I regularly have to remind myself that if I went back...it wouldn't be how I left it. Certain friends have moved away, I've lost contact with others. I'm sure the city I lived in has changed a bit as well. I think, what I want more than anything, is to go back in time and freeze it, and live in suspended state where everything just seemed perfect. But I also know that I tend to look at the past through rose-tinted glasses. I'm almost certain that it's a feeling of the grass always being greener.

In a way, I am anxious to see how I feel when my visa expires. The door on moving back will be closed to me, probably forever. And I wonder if, with that change, I'll feel deep remorse, or a permanent peace. I hope it will help me to finally and fully move on. But I am also afraid that I will only realize what I truly had after it's too late.

Sponsored Links