Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How soon enter UK after getting visa/entry clearance?  (Read 802 times)

• Liked: 0
How soon enter UK after getting visa/entry clearance?
« on: December 22, 2006, 05:52:35 PM »
I might stay in the U.S. for several months after getting my UK visa and entry clearance. My husband just got a job in England, so we're going to go ahead and get the paperwork for me too. But I may need another knee surgery, and I'd rather do that on my insurance in the U.S. So I'll either go with him for a couple of months and then come back for several months for the surgery and recovery, or else I'll just stay here and get the surgery in a couple of months without ever going to live in the UK first. All of this could mean anywhere from 3 to 8 months that I'm staying in the U.S. (It would take so long because sitting in a cramped airline seat with no leg room or opportunity to elevate my leg would be very uncomfortable for about 4 months after surgery, and I plan on waiting a few months before surgery to see if I can get better on my own).

So, would it hurt anything or raise questions if I entered the UK to stay months after receiving clearance?

Re: How soon enter UK after getting visa/entry clearance?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 06:22:59 PM »
that sounds fine- it shouldn't be an issue. (it possibly might be an issue if you guys were planning to stay the full five years for ILR, but not right away.)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 06:56:57 PM »
I was able to choose the start date of my entry clearance.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 07:37:03 PM »
Cool, thanks!

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 07:37:31 PM »
I was able to choose the start date of my entry clearance.

oh, good point olive oyl!  don't know why I didn't think of that before.  groovy_yank, instead of not traveling on your visa for 3-8 months, just don't apply for the visa at all until a few months before you want to travel (you can apply up to three months in advance of the visa start date.)  That would eliminate any potential issues down the road.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 07:26:11 AM »
I got my visa start data dated mid-June but didn't enter until first week of November, because several work things conspired against me.  It didn't provide any issues except the IO reminded me how close I was to the end of the visa, like I had accidentally forgotten or something.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

Sponsored Links