Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are your best travel experiences?  (Read 830 times)

• Friday is Hawaiian shirt day!
    • Personal Site
  • Liked: 0
What are your best travel experiences?
« on: June 30, 2005, 03:29:52 AM »
One of the reasons i am looking forward most to when i move to London is the opportunity to travel.

I want to know where are some of the places you have been? 
Where have you been that you never knew about before you moved to London?
What travel experiences will you never forget?

I can't wait to use my 20+ days of vacation!!
"Being president is like running a cemetery: you've got a lot of people under you and nobody's listening." –Bill Clinton

Re: What are your best travel experiences?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 07:20:08 AM »
I want to know where are some of the places you have been? 

I'm a bit of a homebody... dont really like to travel.
But in an effort to keep my husband happy, I have been to several Scottish islands, Holland, Germany, Spain, Italy, Crete, and Ireland.   :)   I would definitely like to go back to Germany again... Koeln was brilliant!!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 07:49:06 AM »
Prague is amazing - can't wait to go there again.  Loved it - more than Paris.  Much more than Paris.  ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 08:18:37 AM »
Rome is spectacular!
I spent a few months Living outside of Venice which is also lovely but Rome is really FAB!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005, 08:19:18 AM »
Wales & Scotland are not to be missed! I especially recommend the Gower area of South Wales.

• Travels, Trials and Triumphs
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 08:21:18 AM »
Scotland is beautiful, get into the country side if you can and Edinburgh is great
Cologne, Germany is really interesting with some neat architecture

Not Europe, but our best vacation to date was in Singapore.  We had a phenominal time and are really itching to go back to finish doing all the things we wanted to the first time round.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 08:21:57 AM »
I really love Ireland...Galway is lovely and there's a little village on the west coast called Moycullen that's just not to be missed -- very small and quaint with lovely people and beautiful scenery!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 09:08:13 AM »
Paris was wonderful. I may be off to Spain later this year. Last year I went to Mauritius -- not nearby, but much easier to get to from here than from the US. Within the UK, I've loved the Lake District, and Cornwall is gorgeous.  Happy traveling!!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 09:11:24 AM »
We went to Salzburg in December for the Christmas markets and it was AMAZING.  Beautiful little city, blanketed in fresh snow. Drinking gluehwein and eating amazing sausages and schnitzel and borscht.  What a few days.

I really liked Edinburgh and St. Andrews-the british isles have amazing places to visit here alone.  I loved York as well.

Italy.  I love Italy.  We're there for 9 days on Saturday.  I can't bloody WAIT.

and well, one of the best things i've ever done was before i moved here: was on a chartered yacht with 4 others for 10 days around the British virgin islands.  It was by far the best experience of my life.  :)

We love to travel, next year our list is: Prague, Portugal, Istanbul, Italy (again but wtih family), greece (maybe).

After italy this year we're off to paris at the end of august for our 1 year anniversary.  Then we're going to tey and go to munich for christmas markets.  Oh and i may be going to spain with my mom in october......then slip in a trip to the states somewhere.  hehehehe.

We've got a limited time here, so we're traveling as much as possible!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 09:14:24 AM »
Well I have only been living here a little more than one year, and also bear in mind that for many of us living here (permanently) -- European/foreign travel time is balanced against travel time (personally) allocated for going back to the States to visit family/friends.  That said, it's amazing how many cool places there are to go right here in the UK which can be managed in weekend getaways -- we live in Yorkshire & there are loads of things to see & do right here around us, many we've not made time to see/do even yet.  Other than that, in the UK we've made short trips to London, the Lake District, Northumbria, and the Norwich, Norfolk area (where hubby is from).  (Of course, being English, hub's been to lots more places in England so far than I have :P)

As for Europe, including the time that we were dating (since 2003)...we've been to Amsterdam twice (talk about a whole OTHER world compared to the USA ;))--which is a personal fave of mine & only an hour by plane from where we live.  We've also been to Antwerp, Belgium (on a long weekend trip), and we spent our honeymoon in Spain with stops in Madrid, Segovia, Toledo, and Barcelona.  This year, we have plans for a week in Cyprus & (hopefully) a week in southern France.  The thing about traveling Europe that has struck me, that I'd not thought about previously, is the amount of regionality there really is.  For instance, IMO -- it's difficult to 'do' Spain in just a week or two (unless you're going to hustle around so fast that you barely see anything) because there are so many different 'Spains' depending on what part of the country you visit...Cataluna, Andalucia, Castilla-La Mancha, Galicia etc etc.  I've heard it's the same with France, Italy & other European countries as well.  So really the opportunities seem to be endless.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 09:40:07 AM »
Deffo the Peruvian Andes to climb Huascaran Norte, but the Mexican volcanos run a close second, if not a tie.  And K2/Broad Peak basecamp trek.  All lifechanging experiences. 

I've been to many countries in Europe b/c I lived in France for 2 years.  Enjoyed Brittany and Bordeaux immensely. 

Donegal was another memorable trip.

But I didn't move to London, although I've visited.  I'm in Edinburgh.
 :)

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 12:56:39 PM »
Scotland and Ireland are fantastic - the people are as lovely as the countryside.... So far we haven't traveled much because of money and schedules (it costs so bloody much to get back to the US once or twice a year to see my family that we haven't had much left.) But we've gone to Italy and Rhodes (Greece). Loved them both. Budapest and Prague are next on the list....

Edited to say: Actually, while we really love Italy, we hated Bologna.  :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 01:08:00 PM by AnneR »

• Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 01:01:35 PM »
Oh yes I forgot to mention Dublin! If you are looking to go a bit further afield, Egypt is well worth a visit.

• tenez dessus fortement sur vos rêves
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 05:49:32 PM »
If you like travelling you'll love it here, my brother is in Cyprus (an island in the Mediterranean)  all this week, and the great thing is he flew from the local airport  Leeds/Bradford. I love Croatia the scenery was fantastic and is still relatively cheap. Turkey is good for history and if you want to be a millionaire,£1 = roughly  250,000 Turkish lira lol
Like pebbles said Rome and Venice are really interesting, but if you go to Italy try go to Naples because nearby Pompeii is amazing. Greece , Spain , and France are all as nice. Not forgetting our home countries Scotland, N Ireland and Wales and of course England, all with spectacular scenery and history. Hope that helps you
its a far better thing i do than i have ever done

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2005, 11:47:01 PM »
Where have you been that you never knew about before you moved to London?
What travel experiences will you never forget?
Most of us, including myself, don't live in London, not sure why you think we moved to London?  Anyway, it might not necessarily be the most memorable trip, because I was asleep most of the time, but the Scotrail sleeper from London to Inverness is wonderful, all because you can sleep the night away.

I really enjoyed it, you leave Euston station about 10PM and arrive in Inverness at 8AM completely refreshed by a night's sleep!  My last memory was pulling out of Watford Junction, the next was coming into Inverness.  Unfortunately, DW couldn't sleep much because the cars rattled a bit, but I was out like a light!

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

Sponsored Links