Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Traveling to very small towns  (Read 1330 times)

• le club de l'autobus blanc!
  • Liked: 0
Traveling to very small towns
« on: July 03, 2005, 08:10:30 AM »
Hello,

I have a question. (yes again  ::))

There are a few tiny towns I would like to visit while I am in the UK, both of them about 1 1/2 hours from my school.

There is a problem though; I checked national rail, and no trains or busses seem to go there. I'm wondering, am I doing something wrong?

Is there any other way to get to the small towns without renting a car (which I priced at $125!) or walking?

This is not life or death, but it is a genealogy jaunt, as well as a I love historic places one. I'm just hoping I can access these places with out resorting to hitchhiking :P

Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 08:29:28 AM by ...Sprigged... »

Let's take our wigs off in the shopi aisle and fight it out.

• Liked: 2
Re: Traveling to very small towns
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 08:18:45 AM »
A lot of small towns don't have train or bus services but you may find they are walkable distance from the nearest place that does have a train station, or a short taxi ride. But yes there are some places that are pretty impossible to get to without a car sadly.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 02:58:19 PM »
This is not life or death, but it is a genealogy jaunt, as well as a I love historic places one. I'm just hoping I can access these places with out resorting to hitchhiking :P

If they're historic places, you might want to try googling them. There may be info online that will give you advice on how to get there.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• le club de l'autobus blanc!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 06:39:13 PM »
Thank you both. Maybe I'll just have to befriend someone with a car who likes random roadtrips.

Thanks again. :)

Let's take our wigs off in the shopi aisle and fight it out.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 07:03:34 PM »
Have you tried www.transportdirect.info?  It's a government-sponsored site that allows you to plot door-to-door public transport journeys.  Came in very useful on our last visit to the UK when I was planning day trips to show my wife the sights.

• tenez dessus fortement sur vos rĂªves
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 08:56:34 PM »
sprigged where are you going to be based ? London?
its a far better thing i do than i have ever done

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 11:03:39 PM »
I hope to do quite a bit of "random roadtripping" and will be getting a car.  I will be in Swindon which is fairly centrally located, on the train line and would more then happy to have a travel partner! I will be moving over in September so keep in touch.

Oh, and thanks Nxylas for the great link!

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 11:27:37 PM »
While I am unfamiliar with the trans system I did just return from 3 weeks in the uk and we rented a car and just took off for any and all places the car could fit. We saw so many WONDERFUL places and met some even more WONDERFUL PEOPLE on our journeys.  It is well worth the adventure to stop off in some of the small churches in the villages.  We stopped and one in a place outside the village of LongDon and met 5 of the neatest elderly women I think I have ever me.  They were in their 70's I would say and cleaning the church.  They invited us in and showed us around their church and told of how they rebuilt the church after it was all but destroyed in WWII.  I highly recommend a back-roads road trip any time you have free time.
Progress is not automatic; the world grows better because people wish that it should, and take the right steps to make it better.
-- Jane Addams --

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 11:43:28 PM »
With as difficult as it is for residents to get a driver's license, is it possible to just rent a car and figure out how to drive on the other side of the road?  I just find that a bit surprising, but then again, how do tourists and business people get around if they need a car.  Simon and I won't be purchasing a car for some time after I move over there and it would be nice to know that if we did want to take a weekend trip by car we could just rent one and be on our way.

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 11:52:52 PM »
I did well driving on the Left.  It took about 3 days to be "good" at it.  It is not that bad but keep thinking to your self "DRIVE ON THE LEFT DRIVE ON THE LEFT DRIVE ON THE LEFTDRIVE ON THE LEFT"
Progress is not automatic; the world grows better because people wish that it should, and take the right steps to make it better.
-- Jane Addams --

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005, 10:08:04 AM »
With as difficult as it is for residents to get a driver's license, is it possible to just rent a car and figure out how to drive on the other side of the road?  I just find that a bit surprising, but then again, how do tourists and business people get around if they need a car.  Simon and I won't be purchasing a car for some time after I move over there and it would be nice to know that if we did want to take a weekend trip by car we could just rent one and be on our way.

~Liza

Your US license is valid for a year after you arrive in the UK, so I'd think you'd be able to hire a car with that. You might want to check out hire-car websites to make sure they don't require an International License. If they do, that's an easy thing to get. However, I wouldn't think they would -- my understanding is that international licenses are mainly for translation purposes; US licenses are already in English.

I did well driving on the Left. It took about 3 days to be "good" at it. It is not that bad but keep thinking to your self "DRIVE ON THE LEFT DRIVE ON THE LEFT DRIVE ON THE LEFTDRIVE ON THE LEFT"

Yeah, it's not really that hard. The first time I sat in front of the wheel, I was terrified!! But after driving for about 20 minutes, it didn't feel so weird. Now I don't even have to think about what side of the road to be on -- it just comes naturally.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 10:53:25 AM »
I did well driving on the Left.  It took about 3 days to be "good" at it.  It is not that bad but keep thinking to your self "DRIVE ON THE LEFT DRIVE ON THE LEFT DRIVE ON THE LEFTDRIVE ON THE LEFT"

I'm left handed and have always driven a manual car.  It helped a lot when I first got here! 

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 10:58:25 AM »
The first time I sat in front of the wheel, I was terrified!!

I still feel like this on those few occasions when I attempt to drive.  Plus, I have trouble with depth perception generally & particularly here in trying to drive on the left hand side...husband is always 'Oh you're too close to the center!' and 'Now you're too close to the side!' [smiley=anxious.gif]
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 04:00:19 AM »
We stayed in a little cottage where the bus didn't stop, but it drove by.  We could walk the 1 mile to the bus stop no problem, but we talked to the bus driver and he said to just flag the bus down. I've had to do this several times.  The driver never seemed to mind.  See if the buses go past or through the town you want to see.
Dream a dream of England .......... Some day

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2005, 10:55:03 AM »
You should be fine renting a car  with a U.S. license.  You might want to check with the rental company about their minimum age requirement though -- often 21, sometimes 25. 

I'm afraid that Britain's public transport network is nowhere near as comprehensive at it used to be in the past, and there are many little places where a car is really only practical way to get there. 

On a historical note, many miles of small railway branch lines were closed down and torn up in the 1960s.   In some rural areas you can still see where the line used to run, and in fact there are sometimes designated footpaths which follow the old right-of-way and are popular with hikers. 

If you see a new-ish looking road in a town with a name such as Beechings Way, have a look around the neighborhood and you're sure to find some evidence of an old station or rail line.   The name is a reference to Dr. Beeching, the government minister who was largely responsible for the closure of many branch lines.

The buses have fallen into decline rather more recently.  It used to be the case that companies had to run on non-profitable routes as a public service, effectively subsidizing these services with their busy routes.  Since deregulation of buses during the 1980s/90s, services have been decimated in some areas.   

The joke where I live is "A bus?  Oh yeah, I remember, those big red things........."  :D

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

Sponsored Links