Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bereavement Fares?  (Read 864 times)

• The Two Crabs
  • Liked: 0
Bereavement Fares?
« on: July 10, 2005, 08:22:23 PM »
Do UK airlines and travel agents offer "bereavement" fares?   

My father-in-law is terminally ill with cancer and only has a few months left. We may have to return to USA at a moment's notice soon after we move to UK this summer. Walk-up fares from LHR to Washington DC area seems to be nearly $2,000!  Thanks.
------------------------

www.twocrabs.com - A wanderlust American couple living in London and exploring the world...one pub at a time!

*Washington, D.C. to London, 22 August 2005.*

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
Re: Bereavement Fares?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 08:46:49 PM »
I am sure that most UK airlines offer compassionate/bereavement fares. I posted the following article I found on another website, I hope the information is a bit of help.

http://www.themonitor.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=5925&Section=Valley%20Life

Also found this:
http://www.epinions.com/trvl-review-720B-10E5349D-3A27C503-prod4

I do know that in some circumstances you are asked to pay the full fare to begin with, but on production of a death certificate you will be refunded. Best to call a few airlines in advance.
http://www.abrexa.co.uk/Transport/Aviation/Airlines/

There is also a travel agent on here, username "MeShell" and she is incredibly helpful, I am sure she wouldn't mind a PM.

I am very sorry to hear about your father in law.
Born to shop..............forced to work

• The Two Crabs
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 08:51:47 PM »
Thank you so much for your quick reply and wealth of information.
------------------------

www.twocrabs.com - A wanderlust American couple living in London and exploring the world...one pub at a time!

*Washington, D.C. to London, 22 August 2005.*

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 10:49:10 PM »
My pleasure :)
Born to shop..............forced to work

• Baa!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 10:55:05 PM »
I believe that most airlines offer some sort of bereavement fare, although it may not be the huge discount you'd expect, I've heard that the fares are much more flexible, and do not have the same restrictions as other fares (e.g. weekend stay, etc.)

I've also heard that many airlines offer compassion fares, which you can use to go and visit a terminally ill immediate family member if you wish to spend time with them in their final days. 

Both types of fare will probably require some kind of proof of the circumstances, either a doctor's note/phone number to call and verify the illness, or a death certificate copy to verify that someone has passed. 
"Anyone who burns his backside must himself sit upon it." - Scottish Gaelic Proverb

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 07:34:47 PM »
It's odd that you should mention this. I've never had to use bereavement fares, but I was discussing this with a friend just the other day. She says Virgin Atlantic has the best deals. I have no personal experience, but check them out! According to my friend, they give you an excellent rate, plus you can use the First Class lounge in airports.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Baa!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 08:20:16 PM »
It's odd that you should mention this. I've never had to use bereavement fares, but I was discussing this with a friend just the other day. She says Virgin Atlantic has the best deals. I have no personal experience, but check them out! According to my friend, they give you an excellent rate, plus you can use the First Class lounge in airports.

That's pretty sweet!  I've heard lots of great things about Virgin, but I've never had the opportunity to fly them.  I did have a flight booked with them back in 2001, but then September 11th happened, and they immediately stopped using Chicago as a hub, and I got transferred to BA.
"Anyone who burns his backside must himself sit upon it." - Scottish Gaelic Proverb

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab