Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: accountant?  (Read 601 times)

• Liked: 0
accountant?
« on: March 27, 2008, 01:26:07 AM »
Hi,

It sounds like the tax issue is nightmare.  Has anyone used an accountant? I would like to consult someone BEFORE I go to the UK.  I'm moving with my husband in July 2008.

Theresa
Brooklyn, NY

• Death and taxes: I'd rather pay tax than be dead.
    • British American Tax
Re: accountant?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 08:33:45 PM »
Getting the advice before you move is very wise.  Tax accountants can save you much more money before you act than they can after.
Liz Z i t z o w, EA
British American Tax

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 03:07:22 AM »
I have an accountant who handles my US taxes. She was unfamiliar with the whole foreign income stuff but she was a quick study and handled it all. I was glad I didn't have to make sense of it all. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Death and taxes: I'd rather pay tax than be dead.
    • British American Tax
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 06:14:51 PM »
You'll need to know the UK elements - there are big tax breaks for a short term stay in the UK of less than three years - but you have to meet very specific circumstances to get the break.  Often, minor changes to your employment contract are sufficient to get you the tax break.  A US-only accountant will not be aware of these breaks and not be able to assist you in planning for them.  If you opt for a US-only accountant, also seek advice from a UK-based accountant specializing in nondomiciled taxation.

Cheers,
Liz Z i t z o w, EA
British American Tax

Sponsored Links