Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Referee question  (Read 311 times)

• Liked: 77
Referee question
« on: June 20, 2023, 11:43:26 AM »
So I'm looking for my 2 referees for my citizenship application. One is a friend of my wife's whom I've known for 7 years and is a civil servant. Would he qualify as my one who has to have "professional standing" (or however it's worded)? If not, what kind of profession does this person have to have?

And for my other I'm thinking of either my immediate supervisor at work or our old neighbors - both of whom are 25+ and I've known both for over 5 years. Would one or the other be better?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 12:08:00 PM by lvjeremylv »
Applied from Sin City, USA
Submitted online priority spouse visa Nov 2nd
Biometrics appointment completed Nov 6th
Package mailed to Sheffield Nov 6th
Received in Sheffield & e-mail received Nov 8th
Decision e-mail received Dec 5th
Approved or denied?    Approved!  Received Dec 7th

• Liked: 52
Re: Referee question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 09:49:23 AM »
Hi lvjeremylv-

Maybe you are not getting any responses to your questions because you have not given enough information. "Civil servant" is very vague. And for the next, you have given no information on your supervisor or your neighbour to guide us on who would be a better referee.

Hope this helps.

NWKH
UK Spouse Visa
Married: 2001 (Both Living in the US)
Biometrics: 27 Dec 2017
Received in Sheffield: 02 Jan 2018
Decision email: 24 Jan 2018 (17 Bus. Days)
Returned mail: 28 Jan 2018 It's a YES!!!
Landed in UK: 11 Feb 2018
Granted FLR(M): 22 Oct 2020
Granted ILR:  28 Feb 2023
Citizenship Granted:  18 Jan 2024

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 10:10:13 AM »
Hi lvjeremylv-

Maybe you are not getting any responses to your questions because you have not given enough information. "Civil servant" is very vague. And for the next, you have given no information on your supervisor or your neighbour to guide us on who would be a better referee.

Hope this helps.

NWKH

Ah right ok, well in that case I'll elaborate.

The civil servant friend works for the Department of Social Services, and the ex neighbor/friend is a contracts manager. Those were the 2 I went with so hopefully they'll be sufficient lol 🤷🏻‍♂️

The whole thing is very stupid. You live here for years, pay upwards of £8,000 in fees, work the whole time and pay taxes, then still have to jump through hoops every handful of months to see if you're worthy. Asinine if you ask me.

• Liked: 56
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 07:12:46 AM »
Ah right ok, well in that case I'll elaborate.

The civil servant friend works for the Department of Social Services, and the ex neighbor/friend is a contracts manager. Those were the 2 I went with so hopefully they'll be sufficient lol 🤷🏻‍♂️

The whole thing is very stupid. You live here for years, pay upwards of £8,000 in fees, work the whole time and pay taxes, then still have to jump through hoops every handful of months to see if you're worthy. Asinine if you ask me.

I think I read somewhere that the person has to hold a certain level of standing as a "professional", or be a part of only certain professional bodies, and it'd massively elitist. One of my referees is a master automotive technician - top of his field and making nearly twice as much income as the teacher who is my professional reference. But does someone that works with their hands count as "professional"??? Noooope. So archaic.
Engaged: June 2014
Married: July 30 2014
Visa Application Received in UK: Nov. 27 2014
Visa granted: Dec 12 2014
Moves to UK: Jan 30th 2015

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 07:58:00 AM »
I think I read somewhere that the person has to hold a certain level of standing as a "professional", or be a part of only certain professional bodies, and it'd massively elitist. One of my referees is a master automotive technician - top of his field and making nearly twice as much income as the teacher who is my professional reference. But does someone that works with their hands count as "professional"??? Noooope. So archaic.
I wonder what happens if a referee is rejected? I assume they give you another try? Or maybe you have to leave the country and start the entire process over lol, kinda like "go directly to jail" in Monopoly 💀

• Liked: 3597
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2023, 08:10:34 AM »
Any civil servant is acceptable as a professional referee.

The list of acceptable referees literally just states “Civil Servant (permanent)”

See the list on this page:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/british-nationals-nationality-policy-guidance/general-information-all-british-nationals-accessible--2#:~:text=The%20referee%20must%3A,must%20be%20a%20professional%20person)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 344
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 03:15:38 PM »
I wonder what happens if a referee is rejected? I assume they give you another try? Or maybe you have to leave the country and start the entire process over lol, kinda like "go directly to jail" in Monopoly 💀

You do not have to leave the country if you have a valid ILR. A citizenship application does not give the applicant the right to live in the UK while they apply, but those with a valid ILR have permission to remain in the UK.

If you’ve applied for citizenship, you’ll need permission to stay in the UK until you’re granted citizenship. Your permission needs to last until you have had your citizenship ceremony.
https://www.gov.uk/british-citizenship
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 03:18:12 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 05:27:34 PM »
You do not have to leave the country if you have a valid ILR. A citizenship application does not give the applicant the right to live in the UK while they apply, but those with a valid ILR have permission to remain in the UK.

If you’ve applied for citizenship, you’ll need permission to stay in the UK until you’re granted citizenship. Your permission needs to last until you have had your citizenship ceremony.
https://www.gov.uk/british-citizenship
Lol no I was just kidding about the having to leave the country bit. Will just be glad when the whole thing is over and I can come and go as our bank account pleases and don't have to prove myself every 2.5 years. It's stressful even when you've done everything by the book and have nothing to worry about.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab