Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Filing 1st tax returns since 1970, do I have to pay New York income taxes  (Read 560 times)

• Liked: 0
I'm another of those who didn't know about US income tax requirements. I came here in 1970, had my US citizenship taken away when I became a UK citizen, got it back years later with no mention of US taxes, but now that I've had a CD in the US I've had a tax request and intend to file for the last 3 years as per the US London Embassy's web site.
I plan to use by brother's accountant in Indiana.
However, my last residence was in New York City, and both the city and state have an income tax. Do I also have to file there?
Thanks
Doug

You had your US citizenship taken away?  And then you got it back? Care to explain?  People don't normally lose their US citizenship when they become UK citizens.

You did in the 1970s, there was a Cold War law then that took citizenship away. Later quashed by the Supreme Court.
Doug

• Liked: 102
The three years rule on the IRS website is intended to cover people with fairly straightfoward affairs and income below the foreign earned income exclusion, so zero taxes owed.

If you have been in the UK a long while you may have accumulated pension savings, ISAs, National Savings etc as well as having delinquent FBAR filing requirements.

Is your brother's accountant familiar with these issues as well as the US/UK tax treaty?

The three years rule on the IRS website is intended to cover people with fairly straightfoward affairs and income below the foreign earned income exclusion, so zero taxes owed.

If you have been in the UK a long while you may have accumulated pension savings, ISAs, National Savings etc as well as having delinquent FBAR filing requirements.

Is your brother's accountant familiar with these issues as well as the US/UK tax treaty?

Almost certainly not. Back to sleepless nights again worrying about the cost of all this. I almost wish I hadn't regained my US citizenship - the benefits of going through immigration more easily don't seem worth it.

How can I get recommendations about who to handle this for me? I obviously need an expert who knows about the issues and how to best protect me.

Thanks
Doug

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab