Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What Restaurants Do You Miss?  (Read 3051 times)

• Liked: 1894
Re: What Restaurants Do You Miss?
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2017, 12:57:56 PM »
I swear, I would not take the money.  It never makes any of those people happy.  Divorce is incredibly likely, as well as your family turning into greedy parasites that actually sue you for not giving them enough money. 

Nothing can be worth that.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2017, 01:04:49 PM »
I swear, I would not take the money.  It never makes any of those people happy.  Divorce is incredibly likely, as well as your family turning into greedy parasites that actually sue you for not giving them enough money. 

Nothing can be worth that.

That's because they've not thought through how to make it work properly. Husband and I already said we wouldn't quit working (just work jobs we enjoyed more that mey not pay as much). I certainly wouldn't go public. I would probably save most of the money but would maybe finish up all the projects in my house, MAYBE buy a new car (not brand new but newer than what I have), and probably buy at least one more rental property. At a stretch I'd maybe take ONE good holiday with husband. The rest would literally all go in the bank as a million doesn't stretch nearrrlllyyy as far as it used to... These people end up miserable usually because they make their winnings known to all and then blow all the money pretty quickly on extravagent trips and objects and then they don't know what to do when it's mostly all gone.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

What Restaurants Do You Miss?
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2017, 01:16:57 PM »
Was it Mike Tyson who said “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.”

I’m sure these people started off as level headed as you are:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/18/lottery-millionaires-son-spent-16m-then-sued-his-father-for-more-cash?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

From the article:
Michael Dawes has not spoken to his father and stepmother since a falling out at her birthday party when he demanded £5m more and verbally abused Angie Dawes. He has also accused them of being arrogant and ungenerous of spirit.

Michael Dawes told the court: “I saw how over time their attitude changed from being relatively humble to being rather grand. They expected the people around them to treat them differently because of their money.”

I can garuntee that my kid is never going to ruin a birthday party by demanding £5 million and that’s the way I’d like it to stay.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:19:36 PM by jimbocz »

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2017, 01:32:41 PM »
Was it Mike Tyson who said “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.”

I’m sure these people started off as level headed as you are:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/18/lottery-millionaires-son-spent-16m-then-sued-his-father-for-more-cash?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

From the article:
Michael Dawes has not spoken to his father and stepmother since a falling out at her birthday party when he demanded £5m more and verbally abused Angie Dawes. He has also accused them of being arrogant and ungenerous of spirit.

Michael Dawes told the court: “I saw how over time their attitude changed from being relatively humble to being rather grand. They expected the people around them to treat them differently because of their money.”

I can garuntee that my kid is never going to ruin a birthday party by demanding £5 million and that’s the way I’d like it to stay.

Totally get how they probably didn't go into it with that mindset but I truly don't think I would ever drastically change who I am as a person if I came into a fair bit of money. I'm pretty happy as I am but more money would help push things like finishing my house up quicker a lot easier LOL

It also helps that we don't have kids at present and we don't have THAT many connections to come hound us over here for money hah
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »
I don't even know what I could buy that would eat up £16m like the kid in that link above.  Even like, houses that are my pipe dream houses, are only £300-400k. 
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2017, 01:42:13 PM »
Totally get how they probably didn't go into it with that mindset but I truly don't think I would ever drastically change who I am as a person if I came into a fair bit of money. I'm pretty happy as I am but more money would help push things like finishing my house up quicker a lot easier LOL

It also helps that we don't have kids at present and we don't have THAT many connections to come hound us over here for money hah
If you won the lottery you’d be surprised how many connections you would aquire. 

The thing is, you will drastically change who you are as a person as time goes on.  We already have, you used to be a goth.  I used to be interested in partying and not having kids. 

Too much money just makes those changes bad. 

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2017, 02:05:35 PM »
If you won the lottery you’d be surprised how many connections you would aquire. 

The thing is, you will drastically change who you are as a person as time goes on.  We already have, you used to be a goth.  I used to be interested in partying and not having kids. 

Too much money just makes those changes bad.

LOL where did you get that I used to be a goth? I was never a goth...Punk/Skate-rat, yes....Goth, no. hahah First I got juggalo and now I was a goth! Curious what kind of picture you've painted of me in your head...LOL

In fairness, I've not changed much as a person since my early 20's. my taste has slightly changed, but I would say as a human being, I've not really done a mass change to-date.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:14:48 PM by x0Kiss0fDeath »
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2017, 02:27:32 PM »
That's because they've not thought through how to make it work properly. Husband and I already said we wouldn't quit working (just work jobs we enjoyed more that mey not pay as much). I certainly wouldn't go public. I would probably save most of the money but would maybe finish up all the projects in my house, MAYBE buy a new car (not brand new but newer than what I have), and probably buy at least one more rental property. At a stretch I'd maybe take ONE good holiday with husband. The rest would literally all go in the bank as a million doesn't stretch nearrrlllyyy as far as it used to... These people end up miserable usually because they make their winnings known to all and then blow all the money pretty quickly on extravagent trips and objects and then they don't know what to do when it's mostly all gone.

Same!  My husband and I have discussed the amount we'd ideally like to win (between £250k and £1m -- enough to do the things we need to do and for him to not have to work anymore, but not so much that we're in all the papers).  We'd first pay off our mortgage, fix our house, and build a kitchen (!!!)... we've no intention of moving, ever.  We love our dilapidated house.

We'd do all the nice-but-not-vital cosmetic things our car and campervan need.  Buy some more tools for the workshop and fix its leaky roof.  You know, the little piddly things.  Oh, and I'd probably buy an eBay beater so I can drive without feeling sad when I run over a curb.

Then we'd find a place to safely stash the balance and live on interest and whatever we can make from selling workshop projects.  If it's a smaller prize, my husband would continue to work, but he'd only work as much as necessary for us to eat, pay council tax, utilities, and transportation costs (MOT, road tax, insurance, maintenance, petrol).  (Of course, with a smaller prize, he'd have to keep his current job 'til after ILR, or we'd have to hold off spending anything we would have the required balance to meet the savings route threshold.)

What am I missing...?  Something else needs to be factored in...?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:29:05 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2017, 02:35:02 PM »
Same!  My husband and I have discussed the amount we'd ideally like to win (between £250k and £1m -- enough to do the things we need to do and for him to not have to work anymore, but not so much that we're in all the papers).  We'd first pay off our mortgage, fix our house, and build a kitchen (!!!)... we've no intention of moving, ever.  We love our dilapidated house.

We'd do all the nice-but-not-vital cosmetic things our car and campervan need.  Buy some more tools for the workshop and fix its leaky roof.  You know, the little piddly things.  Oh, and I'd probably buy an eBay beater so I can drive without feeling sad when I run over a curb.

Then we'd find a place to safely stash the balance and live on interest and whatever we can make from selling workshop projects.  If it's a smaller prize, my husband would continue to work, but he'd only work as much as necessary for us to eat, pay council tax, utilities, and transportation costs (MOT, road tax, insurance, maintenance, petrol).  (Of course, with a smaller prize, he'd have to keep his current job 'til after ILR, or we'd have to hold off spending anything we would have the required balance to meet the savings route threshold.)

What am I missing...?  Something else needs to be factored in...?

Honestly even if I won enough where I wouldn't have to work, I would still want to work as I would be bored stiff..... For the first month I was in the UK job hunting (I got lucky and found a job that I started in month 2!), I was SO bored of sitting around the house and walking around the town centre. I LOVE Starbucks, but even I got bored of stopping by there daily LOL ONE CAN ONLY DRINK SO MANY EXPENSIVE LATTES! hahah. The ideal though would be to do something I enjoy that would literally just pay the bills at an absolute minimum - but I agree that I would pay off the mortgage first and foremost (and my outstanding student loans) -- totally forgot to mention that! I too am pretty happy where I am in terms of my house for the time being and I'm happy to use that equity when the time comes to move (as opposed to buying some crazy big mansion with my winnings). I like having a fair amount of space/garden, but within reason...I would never want some place that was genuinely too big, as nice as those places seem. there's only two of us and our pooch.....If I'm honest, I probably would spend money on another pooch....Faelynn needs another dog in the house....preferably a boyfriend she can boss around as she's clearly queen bee....LOL
My, how time flies....

« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2017, 02:46:08 PM »
LOL where did you get that I used to be a goth? I was never a goth...Punk/Skate-rat, yes....Goth, no. hahah First I got juggalo and now I was a goth! Curious what kind of picture you've painted of me in your head...LOL

In fairness, I've not changed much as a person since my early 20's. my taste has slightly changed, but I would say as a human being, I've not really done a mass change to-date.
All right then, I’ll adjust my mind’s eye away from Goth and towards Skate Punk Rat. 

I used to love my punk rock.  Sex Pistols and Dead Kennedys. 

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »
All right then, I’ll adjust my mind’s eye away from Goth and towards Skate Punk Rat. 

I used to love my punk rock.  Sex Pistols and Dead Kennedys.

just out of curiosity, where did you even get goth and juggalo from!? hahah
My, how time flies....

« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2017, 03:51:15 PM »
just out of curiosity, where did you even get goth and juggalo from!? hahah
Don’t worry, you aren’t actually giving off Juggaloo vibes.  It came up in the news and I figured you were the only one here that would get the joke. 

« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2017, 05:45:01 PM »
Don’t worry, you aren’t actually giving off Juggaloo vibes.  It came up in the news and I figured you were the only one here that would get the joke.

Whew! Just needed to check I wasn't accidentally giving of Juggalo vibes! hahah Would need to correct that ASAP! (did you manage to find that show about the juggalo gathering with the dude from Radio 1 in the end?)
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 154
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2017, 08:24:03 PM »
I don't even know what I could buy that would eat up £16m like the kid in that link above.  Even like, houses that are my pipe dream houses, are only £300-400k.

I'm with you!

We've talked if we won millions what we'd do.

We'd buy a house here and America. Pay off my parents mortgage (they have helped us ever so much we'd like to give back). My husband is dying for a tesla, so that'd be on the list, give some to cancer research, and the rest be savings/college funds.

That would spend a lot but I don't think it's overly crazy. I'd still work- I would be extremely bored not working.

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2017, 09:18:44 PM »

I'm with you!

We've talked if we won millions what we'd do.

We'd buy a house here and America. Pay off my parents mortgage (they have helped us ever so much we'd like to give back). My husband is dying for a tesla, so that'd be on the list, give some to cancer research, and the rest be savings/college funds.

That would spend a lot but I don't think it's overly crazy. I'd still work- I would be extremely bored not working.

I think it sounds like a lot of spending because you don't currently have £16M (I'm assuming anyways! haha) but if you actually wont that money, I don't think you'd end up having spend nearly as much as you think you would have after all is said and done in your scenario. It SOUNDS like a lot of money because it is to somebody who isn't a multi-millionaire.
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab