Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Budget question spouse visa  (Read 943 times)

Re: Budget question spouse visa
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 08:25:41 PM »
The only reference you can find to income or budgeting for maintenance is from MAA 4 in the ECO's Guidance:
MAA4 Maintenance: General requirements

There is no explicit minimum figure for what represents sufficient maintenance. If dependants of the main applicant are going to accompany him / her to the United Kingdom, resources must be available for the whole family unit to be maintained.

The ECO should bear in mind the position taken by the UK Asylum and Immigration Tribunal (UKAIT):

In 2006, the UKAIT  in UKAIT 00065 KA and Others (Pakistan), strongly suggested that it would not be appropriate to have immigrant families existing on resources that were less than the Income Support level for a British family of that size.
More information is available on the British & Irish Legal Information Institute website (BAILII)

If it is more likely than not that the total amount that the applicant and sponsor will have to live on will be below what the income support level would be for a British family of that size, then it may be appropriate to refuse the application on maintenance and accommodation grounds.

Maintenance may be provided by either:

The applicant with their own funds or with funds available to them; or
The sponsor; or
A combination of applicant and sponsor funds.

When it says the amount that an immigrant family should not be less than the amount that a British Family of that size would be receiving in Income Support. That's where the £100.95/wk comes from (for a couple).

See: http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=57076.0

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 03:47:31 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something here but I've never heard anything about a required income of over 100 pounds per week.  I've heard suggestions that you have 100 pounds per week left over after rent and utitilies, but no minimum income requirements, as some people move with no income and live off savings.

I know, I wrote that really confusingly.  I meant the 100-some pounds left over after mortgage and ctax that everyone's always talking about.  The only reason I said something was because on her budget, she had a negative number left over.  I just sort of wondered how that worked. 
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL
27 Oct 2006 - Married in US
23 Sep 2009 - Spouse and dependent visas issued
30 Sep 2009 - Arrived in the UK!
20 Oct 2011 - Sent ILR application
12 Jan 2012 - Discretionary Limited Leave to Remain issued

• Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 05:15:11 AM »
The reason for the neg number is I haven't finished working on the budget I have to wait for the DH to find work to know what the number is for the income portion of the budget.  I had just wanted to know what to include in the final one for my peace of mind before we decide to send off the app to make sure (when the time comes) that we have the 100.95 left over each week.  Thats all.  I'm not expecting to make a visa app with our finances the way they are atm.
Lauren

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 07:57:13 AM »
Thats all.  I'm not expecting to make a visa app with our finances the way they are atm.

But if you did the budget for 6 months and not for a year, then you meet the requirements for the finances, so why not just adjust your budget and apply now?

For example:

Income
£2300/6 months =  £383.33
Lodger              = £350

Total                = £733.33

Outgoings
Mortgage and Council Tax = £228.83

Amount needed for visa = £424

Total left after mortgage and council tax = £505

Other outgoings (taking out £100 for entertainment as WebyJ suggested) = £450

Money leftover = + £55

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 11:59:51 AM »
I know, I wrote that really confusingly.  I meant the 100-some pounds left over after mortgage and ctax that everyone's always talking about.  The only reason I said something was because on her budget, she had a negative number left over.  I just sort of wondered how that worked. 

Is it possible to give us the actual link on the Home Office site where these rules about 100 pounds are explained?  Surely something this precise would be explained somewhere!

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 12:06:03 PM »
Is it possible to give us the actual link on the Home Office site where these rules about 100 pounds are explained?  Surely something this precise would be explained somewhere!

Weby already provided 2 links in her post to reference what she was stating (yay for Weby always being able to readily site all the advice she gives!!).

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 12:10:45 PM »
But Weby's link says there is no explicit minimum figure   ???  And where does it say you have to subtract the rent and so forth?   ??? 

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 06:43:01 PM »
[MOD NOTE]

All points have been made and received.  Can we ALL please go back to being grown ups and deal with each other on a level that is without needling, stirring, sulking or snarkiness.  PLEASE.

This is an important part of the forum and a LOT of people rely on it to get them through what is a stressful process.  

Not everybody pays attention to forum politics and not everybody is interested in the behind the scenes drama and personalities.

All we ask is for helpful, friendly posts that either point people in the right direction or give helpful first hand experience  or explain things that they might not understand.

I don't think that's asking too much.  I really don't.   We're not asking for warm fuzzies or hand holding.  Just helpfulness in plain English.  From everybody.  It would be much appreciated.  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 06:44:48 PM by Mindy »

Sponsored Links