Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Renewing American Passport.  (Read 6505 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: Renewing American Passport.
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2018, 05:36:37 PM »
Totally forgot about using Edinburgh. Good call!
Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.  A. Lincoln

09/09: Met in San Diego
09/09-04/11: 9 trips, 1000 hours of Skype, a billion IMs
04/11-08/11: Successfully lived under the same roof in the UK
08/11: Engaged
02/11/12: Wedding in San Diego
03/12/12: Submitted online application
03/16/12: Biometrics appointment, documents sent
3/28/12: Spousal visa issued!
4/24/12: Moved to UK
6/24/14: Passed Life in the UK test
7/3/14: Submitted SET (M) in person via Premium Service
7/7/14: BRP received via courrier! I'

• Liked: 3
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2018, 11:37:54 AM »
Just want to clarify as I'm renewing this summer.

1.  I bank with UK Barclays and can ask for a bank draft, which is a money order, in USD?

2. I live in England, but could re-new in person in Edinburgh.  It's closer to me as I live in Durham.

Thanks!
13 Aug 13 Fiancé visa application submitted online
  2 Oct 13 Visa received via UPS
29 Oct 13 Arrived in the UK!
20 Jan 14 Ring-a-Ding Ding!
18 Feb 14 FLR(M) submitted via post
26 Feb 14 Biometrics submitted at Post Office
  7 Apr 14 Biometrics Residence Permit approval notification letter & card arrive (separately) via signed post
16 Sept 16 2nd FLR(M) Approved in-person in Sheffield
21 Aug 18  Passed LIUK
5 Mar 19 Applied IRL; 18 Mar 19 priority appt in NCL; 19 Mar 19 ILR granted; 21 Mar 19 DX delivery of BRP

• Liked: 2
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2018, 12:44:24 PM »
If you are close to London, I highly recommend going to the new US Embassy.  You can make appointments online - which have about a 2 week wait.  I asked online for an emergency appointment - traveling within 2 business days.  I got an appointment for the next day.  I took my passport pictures there, paid in cash with US Dollars instead of my US credit card, and it took less than an hour to get my passport.  I spent more time taking picture, filling out application, and waiting for cashier to pay than the wait between agent reviewing application and getting my passport.  You can fill out application online.  I forgot it at home so had to fill application there. 

• Liked: 0
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2018, 05:59:03 PM »
Sorry to drag up an old post, but I just have a couple of questions regarding this, as it applies to me and is proving to be a royal PITA.

1) When I originally read about all this, I asked my Dad back in the US if he would have his bank write us up a bankers draft for $110. It arrived a few days ago and it's not a bankers draft but a cashiers check. According to the embassy website they're not acceptable, but on other parts of the forum where this issue is being discussed, other members have said they sent a 'cashiers check' and it worked fine. Is that just members mis-naming a bank draft as a cashiers check? I really can't understand why a cashiers check wouldn't work - it's been guaranteed by the bank.

2) So Barclays can definitely be used to write up a bank draft in USD and that will work? We don't bank with Barclays but my father-in-law does. If we write up a bankers draft via Barclays will it still be acceptable even if it has my father-in-laws name on it somewhere?

3) if 1) and 2) are not going to work, I'll have to go down the money order route. the embassy state it has to be an international money order for $110. I've checked USPS website and they can only send international money orders to specific countries, the UK not being one of those. However, I read on another forum that if you have a money order written in the US to be cashed by the US government at the UK embassy, then that wouldn't class as an international money order but a domestic money order, which USPS could process no problem and would be accepted by the embassy. My Dad could send me that in the mail from the US no problem.

If none of these are correct/will work then I guess I'll be making a long/expensive day trip to London and back to apply in person!

Sponsored Links