Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Consular Notification thingy of Birth Abroad  (Read 80669 times)

• Chronicles of Squidgyboo
  • Liked: 1
Re: Consular Notification thingy of Birth Abroad
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2006, 11:36:49 PM »
:P I've read ALL 6 pages at least 3 times and I'm still confused!!  [smiley=confused.gif]

I have an emergency apt 7 Sept, I'm travelling to Portugal w/ baby on Sept 14. I booked the flight when I thought she would be able to get a British passport but because we're not married and citizenship is passed on through the mother so she can't get a British passport.  We have applied for a discretionary approval of citizenship through the Home Office but haven't heard anything back from them yet. The law changed on July 1 that it can be passed on by either parent but she was born on June 25.

I've sent them both the DS-2029 and DS-11 along w/ a copy of my passport, his passport and her birth certificate.

My questions are;
1. They ask for marriage cert, we're not married.  He's British and I'm American, do I need to have a notarized letter saying he gives permission for baby to have US citizenship.  He can't come w/ me because he's out of the country for work, is that going to be a problem??

2. Do I need to bring 2 passport photos or do they take photos at the embassy

3. What is this prepaid envelope I read about on this thread, do I need one and if I do where do I get one?? Can't I just pay for it at the Embassy?? 

4. Do I need to have proof that I've lived in the US for 3 consecutive years??  I have tax returns for 2005, I moved here in May of that year.

5. How much cash do I need to bring w/ me??  Will they take pounds and will it be more than 200??

AAAH!!! I feel like my head is going to explode!! [smiley=dizzy2.gif]
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

Friendship with oneself is all-important, because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else in the world. Eleanor Roosevelt

• Liked: 0
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2007, 05:41:55 PM »
I'm due in December. My husband is a USC I am a UK Citizen. I was wondering what the waiting is for a passport? I'm filing for my visa for the USA in a week. Will I have to hold travel untill I get the passport for my baby?
Love our baby girl born Jan 3rd 08

« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2007, 08:57:53 PM »
Im currently filling out the paperwork for my newborns passport and stuff. One question I have is about the photos for the US Passport. I have a copy of the regulations and it says baby should be looking forward. I got the pics done at SnappySnaps and while baby is looking forward she is very slightly angled so that you can only see one ear full. I know I saw something once that said both ears must be showing. Am I being paranoid or should I get the photos redone?

« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2007, 09:21:42 AM »
I'm hoping this doesn't get buried again, but I have a similar question to the previous poster. 

Are the US passport photo requirements (http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/acs/passports/photo.html) really the same for babies as they are for adults?!?  Evelyn will only be 3 months old when we have her appointment and I have no idea if we'll be able to get her to wake up and open her eyes, let alone look directly into a camera without her head cocked or turned. 

I know that the UK passport rules (http://www.passport.gov.uk/apply-photos-babies.asp) are different for babies, but can't find anything for the US. 

« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2007, 09:37:25 AM »
I'm not sure if they are the same for babies as they are for adults, but for Josh's US photo he was crying and his eyes were closed.  They had to be open for the UK one.  We had a few attempts made tbh.  But since it's all digital it was fine.

You can try and get the pictures done now.  I hung outside of snappy snaps for a bit waiting for Josh to wake up.  It was pretty funny!

I'm hoping this doesn't get buried again, but I have a similar question to the previous poster. 

Are the US passport photo requirements (http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/acs/passports/photo.html) really the same for babies as they are for adults?!?  Evelyn will only be 3 months old when we have her appointment and I have no idea if we'll be able to get her to wake up and open her eyes, let alone look directly into a camera without her head cocked or turned. 

I know that the UK passport rules (http://www.passport.gov.uk/apply-photos-babies.asp) are different for babies, but can't find anything for the US. 

« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2007, 11:20:12 AM »
You can try and get the pictures done now.  I hung outside of snappy snaps for a bit waiting for Josh to wake up.  It was pretty funny!

I guess that's what we'll be doing - thanks for the idea.

« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2008, 11:00:21 PM »
Ok, two questions: If we have a son and we register his birth and get his citizenship and all, would he be able to renounce citizenship should a draft ever be called in for him? (sounds a bit silly but I'm totally against my son possibly being unwillingly called into a war for a country he never lived in). 

And second, do you have to register immediately after birth (dragging a newborn baby to the embassy as well as having to pay nearly £100 when you've already got so many expenses associated with having a baby would be very inconvienent).

This is all looking to be such a hassle that I'm tempted to just not register the birth at all.  I'd rather take teh chance of my child having US citizenship renounced that being forced to worry about the extra responsibilities of a dual citizenship (i.e. the draft, filing taxes, etc.).

• Liked: 2
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2008, 11:11:23 AM »
You can register him any time before his 18th birthday, I believe.  And yes any US citizen can renounce their citizenship.

« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
Ok, two questions: If we have a son and we register his birth and get his citizenship and all, would he be able to renounce citizenship should a draft ever be called in for him? (sounds a bit silly but I'm totally against my son possibly being unwillingly called into a war for a country he never lived in). 

And second, do you have to register immediately after birth (dragging a newborn baby to the embassy as well as having to pay nearly £100 when you've already got so many expenses associated with having a baby would be very inconvienent).

This is all looking to be such a hassle that I'm tempted to just not register the birth at all.  I'd rather take teh chance of my child having US citizenship renounced that being forced to worry about the extra responsibilities of a dual citizenship (i.e. the draft, filing taxes, etc.).
HA ha..very brave for opening this can of worms again! See my thread:
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=40515.msg562668;topicseen#new
I have a 3 and 6 year old sons who I have yet to register and I'm not quite sure I ever will!

« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2008, 12:07:50 PM »
As I have said in the previous post, it is not at all difficult to get out of serving in a draft, or serving full stop. 

I would think the easiest medical excuse would be sleep walking.  Very few people would have it verified by a doctor, because unless you are sleep driving why bother, and the military won't take anyone who does it.

Or say you have an allergy to wool, that works as well. 

« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2008, 12:11:43 PM »
As I have said in the previous post, it is not at all difficult to get out of serving in a draft, or serving full stop. 

I would think the easiest medical excuse would be sleep walking.  Very few people would have it verified by a doctor, because unless you are sleep driving why bother, and the military won't take anyone who does it.

Or say you have an allergy to wool, that works as well. 
I agree. It probably wouldn't be difficult getting out of it but that's not really the point is it? The point these kids shouldn't have to register for Selective Service in the first place but I'm not getting into that arguement again!  ;)

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2008, 12:14:34 PM »
Oh I know, but I just wanted to throw in that is that was one of her big stumbling points then it really isn't an issue.

« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2008, 12:17:32 PM »
Oh I know, but I just wanted to throw in that is that was one of her big stumbling points then it really isn't an issue.
[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

• Liked: 18
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2008, 02:56:21 PM »
Bad me I've not gotten Emma's passports yet, but now looking as though it will become necessary as we are planning a trip to the US in the coming months. It looks like the only time we may have a chance of getting an appointment is mid-april, but we're hoping to travel the last week in may...is that enough time or are we better off waiting until 2 weeks before and then going with the immediate option?

Also, do both parents have to show up for the appointment? My husband won't be able to take time off, unless he HAS to. And is it relatively easy for someone with a poor sense of direction to get there alone with a toddler?

Thanks,

Katrina
Moved to the UK April 2006
Married March 2007
Moved to the U.S. June 2009

Husband accepted new job in UK April 2016
Returning to UK Aug/Sept 2016!

Moved from UK-Germany 2022

« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2008, 05:23:44 PM »
Bad me I've not gotten Emma's passports yet, but now looking as though it will become necessary as we are planning a trip to the US in the coming months. It looks like the only time we may have a chance of getting an appointment is mid-april, but we're hoping to travel the last week in may...is that enough time or are we better off waiting until 2 weeks before and then going with the immediate option?

Also, do both parents have to show up for the appointment? My husband won't be able to take time off, unless he HAS to. And is it relatively easy for someone with a poor sense of direction to get there alone with a toddler?

Thanks,

Katrina

I think if you go in mid April you will get your passport in a couple of weeks, so you would be fine to travel in late May.

From the consulate's website -

Application by One Parent

If only one parent is able to appear, one of the following will be required in addition to the above requirements:

* Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent) completed by the absent parent must be notarized before a U.S. Notary Public, British Notary Public, or British Solicitor. The notary or solicitor must place his/her official seal upon the document. American Embassies and Consulates abroad can also notarize Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent). In addition to the Form DS-3053, the absent parent will be required to submit one of the following:
          o Valid U.S. or foreign passport or a good notarized photocopy of the identity and signature pages; or
          o Valid driver's license; or
          o Valid military ID; or
          o Valid U.S. government ID; or
          o Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services with photograph; or
          o Alien Resident Card from USCIS (Green Card).

OR

* Evidence of the appearing parent's sole authority to apply for the passport in the form of one of the following:
          o Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or
          o Child's birth certificate listing only applying parent; or
          o Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent); or
          o Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (i.e. the absent parent has no access to the child. Child's travel must not be restricted by that order); or
          o Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
          o Death certificate of non-applying parent.

Sponsored Links