Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: 9 month report  (Read 921 times)

• Liked: 16
9 month report
« on: July 04, 2019, 06:50:02 PM »

Hi all,

I have been busy adjusting life here in London since I moved here last year.
While I think it is generally going well, I want to share my empirical data with you.

Pros
Work-life balance
Grocery shopping
Transportation system
Proximity to other great European cities

Cons
PEOPLE !!!( While people think Americans are rude British are passive aggressive and nasty)   I had so many foreigners agreeing with me on this.
Harder to make friends
Slow or non existing customer service
Lack of very trendy gym at a reasonable price like in NY.
On average 30% lower salary compare to NY

While I love the life style here,I definitely don't feel like I belong here, therefore I go back to U.S every 4 months and I intend to keep doing it. 

Again, this is utterly my personal view so I don't expect people to agree with me.

• Liked: 4985
Re: 9 month report
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 07:22:15 PM »
Hi all,

I have been busy adjusting life here in London since I moved here last year.
While I think it is generally going well, I want to share my empirical data with you.

Pros
Work-life balance
Grocery shopping
Transportation system
Proximity to other great European cities

Cons
PEOPLE !!!( While people think Americans are rude British are passive aggressive and nasty)   I had so many foreigners agreeing with me on this.
Harder to make friends
Slow or non existing customer service
Lack of very trendy gym at a reasonable price like in NY.
On average 30% lower salary compare to NY

While I love the life style here,I definitely don't feel like I belong here, therefore I go back to U.S every 4 months and I intend to keep doing it. 

Again, this is utterly my personal view so I don't expect people to agree with me.

Glad you’ve checked in.  And super jealous that you have found a better work/life balance here.  Complete opposite for me!  ;D

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 07:30:04 PM »
The British are nicer when you get out of London!  ;)  :)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 10:14:21 PM »
( While people think Americans are rude British are passive aggressive and nasty) 

I've never heard anyone say that Americans are rude... the reputation I'm aware of is that they're so overly nice it seems fake.  And probably is fake.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 09:21:34 AM »
I've never heard anyone say that Americans are rude... the reputation I'm aware of is that they're so overly nice it seems fake.  And probably is fake.

Yeah, this is what I've been told, too.

I cannot dispute the othe points, though.

Having said that, do you think you would feel more connected to the UK if you didn't give yourself that out every four months?  You could use that time to visit some of those European cities you're so proximate to.   I mean, if you can afford to go to the US three times a year and that's what you want to do, then go for it.  But if it were me, I think having that escape plan always going might stop me from fully embracing this life.  (Ignore me, though... I came over on my fiancee visa in 2013 and haven't been home since.)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 10:01:52 AM »
I’m jealous you get to travel to the US so often I’m lucky if I can afford once every couple of years. I’ve heard Americans described as loud and rude unfortunately !!
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Liked: 16
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 11:35:32 AM »
Yeah, this is what I've been told, too.

I cannot dispute the othe points, though.

Having said that, do you think you would feel more connected to the UK if you didn't give yourself that out every four months?  You could use that time to visit some of those European cities you're so proximate to.   I mean, if you can afford to go to the US three times a year and that's what you want to do, then go for it.  But if it were me, I think having that escape plan always going might stop me from fully embracing this life.  (Ignore me, though... I came over on my fiancee visa in 2013 and haven't been home since.)

I know, you have a point!
It totally make more sense to explore other European cities more often ( I do visit there occasionally,,, since its much more easier to go )
than going back to NY every so often but I just don't feel like I belong here, I hope I do one day?

I left all my friends behind in U.S and to start all over here, it really hasn't been easy.
People expect me to make 90% of efforts because I am a newcomer and it gets tiring .

But thanks for telling me the common sense I conveniently overlook...;)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 04:30:21 PM »
I know, you have a point!
It totally make more sense to explore other European cities more often ( I do visit there occasionally,,, since its much more easier to go )
than going back to NY every so often but I just don't feel like I belong here, I hope I do one day?

I left all my friends behind in U.S and to start all over here, it really hasn't been easy.
People expect me to make 90% of efforts because I am a newcomer and it gets tiring .

But thanks for telling me the common sense I conveniently overlook...;)

Eep, I hope my post didn't hit you over the head with "common sense".  In matters of emotional well-being and fulfillment, common sense isn't really the point.  We should do what feels right for us.  I really was genuinely asking if not going back so often would help.

Another option might be to invite some of your US friends over (I mean, you're doing 100% of the effort there!).  Maybe showing them around can help you feel more ownership of this place.  Or let you create happy memories here.  Or something.  I dunno.  I kind of shed my old life and started fresh when I came over.  I have no place giving you advice/suggestions.  :P
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab