Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Damp  (Read 4304 times)

Damp
« on: December 05, 2004, 12:23:42 PM »
OK, Ron's post about dry air gave me the idea to search out solutions for the opposite problem. We rent a VERY old cottage that was clearly cheaply/improperly re-done some years before we moved in. We have double glazing that wasn't compensated for with damp coursing and as a result it's constantly damp. Actually it's beyond damp - I wipe down the windowsills every morning as they are DRIPPING with condensation (obviously this is only an issue in cold weather) and I have to go on a weekly mould killing spree on some of the outside-facing walls which is not terribly good for our respiratory health (the mould OR the mould killer!)

It's too cold to put fans on or keep the windows open for any length of time, and even when I do open the windows for a while, it doesn't do nearly enough good. I've also bought those moisture collectors and put them on every window sill but they just fill up while the sills continue to drip. We haven't got much disposable income at the moment, especially with Christmas, but has anyone had success with a particular brand of electric de-humidifiers? I actually think we'd have to buy two - one for upstairs and one for downstairs, so I need to find one that works but doesn't cost an arm and a leg....

Or does anyone have any other solutions to damp? I've seen those snake-like things in the Lakeland catalog that you lay along the window sill, but I'm skeptical since the disposable damp catchers that we got at the grocery store haven't solved the problem at all (though they've all filled up - but it's like the windows just produce more water to compensate somehow!)

• Banned

• Liked: 0
Re: Damp
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 12:34:30 PM »
We have the same problem...luckily we rent so this nightmare will be over for me in February!

The only thing that I have found that works is to run the heat all the time.  This irritates the hubby - but when his boys come to visit it kills me when they both wake up with chesty coughs from sleeping in damp!!

Try sealing your windows around the frames as well.  I find that some of the damp comes from inproper seals on the double glazing.

If you own your home - it might be a good idea to call in the experts.  My next door neighbors house is lovely and damp free (house built by same builder at the same time)....they said they cured damp by filling in the gaps within the walls with some foam stuff.  It's not economical for us to do that (as we rent) but when we own I will look into it!

I hope this helps.
~~ bootlegged, disapproved, excluded, forbidden, hot, illegal, illicit, interdicted, prohibited, proscribed, shut out, smuggled, taboo, unauthorized, unlawful, verboten ~~

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 12:39:53 PM »
Thanks, Jacky! Unfortunately we rent as well and as we're not planning on staying more than another six months or so in this house we don't want to sink any money into improvements on it - and our landlord won't spend a penny on ANYTHING (as an aside, he actually suggested that we deal with a leak in the toilet by tying a string to the leaking pipe and sticking the other end in a soda bottle so as to catch the water! I feel a thread b*tching about landlords coming on, LOL!)

Anyway, I hear you about coughs from sleeping in damp - I clear my throat CONSTANTLY and I'm sure it's either from the damp or the mould.

Interesting idea to put some sealant around the window frames though - I may give that a whirl. There's clearly something wrong with the double-glazing job as there's actually moisture between the panes on some of them. It's unreal how cheaply the owners have "fixed up" this place!!!

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 12:40:39 PM »
I'm using an Ebac 10 litre extraction dehumidifier on a two bed, L-shaped flat.  It's not removing all the condensation all the time, but it is keeping much more managable than before.  It was priced at £149.

We could have gone with generic product (such as Homebase brand) which is cheaper, but because we'll likely be running it all winter, I wanted a name brand with a longer warranty.  I was also concerned with the noise levels of the cheaper options.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 12:46:13 PM »
I'm using an Ebac 10 litre extraction dehumidifier on a two bed, L-shaped flat.  It's not removing all the condensation all the time, but it is keeping much more managable than before.  It was priced at £149.

We could have gone with generic product (such as Homebase brand) which is cheaper, but because we'll likely be running it all winter, I wanted a name brand with a longer warranty.  I was also concerned with the noise levels of the cheaper options.

I agree that the noise would be a concern on a cheaper model... And while I wouldn't want to spend that much twice, at this point I'd be willing to give one a try.... Our house is a small two bedroom, but it's two floors - I wonder if one machine would do any good for both floors, 'cause I honestly can't decide if the problem irritates me more downstairs in the lounge and the bathroom or upstairs in the bedrooms. I think it's a bit more of an issue upstairs, but the window in the lounge gets pretty darned wet too.... Hmmm.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 12:48:03 PM »
Ah! I'm not the only one with dripping wet windows then!!
Renting as well, and only in the place for another 2 weeks, so I'm not doing anything about it, but God does it annoy me. I've actually met the man who re-did this property a few years back, and I'll always regret being too nice to him and not saying "Well you know, you actually put doors in backwards and the bathroom unit is in wrong and the whole house sweats like the amityville house bleeds".  ::)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 12:53:44 PM »
I'll always regret being too nice to him and not saying "Well you know, you actually put doors in backwards and the bathroom unit is in wrong and the whole house sweats like the amityville house bleeds".  ::)

LOL! Love the Amityville reference - SO appropriate!!! I've tried to make subtle comments to the owner (the rental agency sends him 'round to check on problems before they'll call a bleedin' professional - hence the leaking toilet "solution") that have clearly fallen on deaf ears. But when we do move you can be sure I'll let them know just exactly how well their re-do was done!  ::)

Another "solution" to a problem that he came up with (that is hysterical in retrospect but also extremely irriating since we still live here) - we had a leak in the kitchen and once it was fixed, the owner came to tidy up the mess that it made. He stapled up some crummy wallpaper over the stain and told me to put some tipex (white-out) over the staples to make it look nicer! I couldn't believe anyone would actually suggest doing that in a house that they own!!!!

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 12:54:58 PM »
To be honest, we contribute to our own misery.  I air dry all of our shirts, sweaters, trousers and bath towels because that silly condenser dryer bakes clothes and eventually discolours them -- I shan't mention the length of time it takes to actually dry a small load.   ::)

Also, I believe the extractor fan in the bathroom isn't working properly.  All this plus cooking just adds to the condensation rate.  Oh how I long for Spring when I can keep our windows open 24/7.

• Banned

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004, 12:59:56 PM »
Another side note...my in-laws got a grant last year to update their Welsh property...their house used to be REALLY damp...they had the whole house gutted (while living there!!) and they replaced everything...inner walls, outter walls (the rendering and the pepple coating)....all the floor boards....all the way to the roof.  (Most were rotten due to 30 years of damp)

The builders said one of the reasons damp settles on the interior is hanging clothes to dry over the fire.  SO, they suggested getting tumble dryer!  I told my husband, you can't exactly tell me that it's unnecessary if your parents are going to get one!!

Anyhow, now that the damp and cold of winter in settling in - I take ALL the washed laundry down to the laundry mat to dry every week. It costs £1.20 in one of the big dryers and I can put 3 loads of wet clothes in.  It has definitely helped reduce the damp as there aren't clothes drying all over the house!

edited to add: didn't see Caitlinn's post...the dryer at the laundrymat takes about 20 minutes to dry everything...I always throw in a bath towel to keep the clothes from "baking"...when I take them out the bath towel is a little damp and the rest of the clothes are not baked but fully dry.  My mom always taught me to not dry bath towels all the way or they might burn (bake).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 01:05:09 PM by Jackyd99 »
~~ bootlegged, disapproved, excluded, forbidden, hot, illegal, illicit, interdicted, prohibited, proscribed, shut out, smuggled, taboo, unauthorized, unlawful, verboten ~~

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 01:05:59 PM »
To be honest, we contribute to our own misery.  I air dry all of our shirts, sweaters, trousers and bath towels because that silly condenser dryer bakes clothes and eventually discolours them -- I shan't mention the length of time it takes to actually dry a small load.   ::)

Also, I believe the extractor fan in the bathroom isn't working properly.  All this plus cooking just adds to the condensation rate.  Oh how I long for Spring when I can keep our windows open 24/7.

You're singing my song, Caitlinn! Our extractor fan in the bathroom doesn't work right either - it takes nearly as long to get steam out when the fan is on as when it's off and even though we do try to use it religously the mould in the bathroom is terrible and the toilet cistern is in a constant sweat.

But what you guys are saying about laundry is worth a think.... I do tend to air everything but towels ('cause they dry so stiff otherwise. But the towels get dried very late at night or on weekends 'cause it takes about an hour PER TOWEL in the stupid combination dryer!!!) and socks/underwear. But I only do laundry once a week and so damp clothes are generally only hanging for a day or two at most.... Hmmmm, I don't even know where the closest laundrette IS around here!

Ah the joys of living in cheaply renovated rental properties. I mean, surely there are some houses that aren't constantly dripping wet!?

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 01:11:41 PM »
I wish a laundrette could be a solution for me.  Sadly, none in our small village and the next closest laundrette has no convenient parking (on the other side of town, no less).  A toddler, stroller and three or four bags of laundry -- two more sets of arms and I might be able to handle it.

Aren't the dryers in laundrettes non-condensers?

• Banned

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 01:19:38 PM »
Aren't the dryers in laundrettes non-condensers?
Hmmmm I don't know...I know they run on gas? Sorry, I don't know much about machinery! LOL

The damp is so bad in our bathroom (no fan at all!) that the top of the window, along the seal - is BLACK.  I have tried to clean it - but it's set in the paint now!  I can't wait to move!!!

I don't know where you guys live - but I am in North Somerset...is it true that it's more damp in the south of England than up north?

If you were near me Caitlinn, I could help you with that extra set of hands!   :)  Just my personal vendetta against DAMP! LOL

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 01:21:53 PM »
Cheers, I really could do with an extra set of arms!

BTW, I'll see your black seal and raise you paint peeling off the bathroom walls!

• Banned

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 01:24:31 PM »
Cheers, I really could do with an extra set of arms!

BTW, I'll see your black seal and raise you paint peeling off the bathroom walls!
Yikes - you win! (unfortunately!!)

I have a whole list compiled for when we look for a place when we get back next year -

*no carpet in the kitchen or bath
*check for damp
*room for a dryer
*frost free fridge (oh THERE'S another hot topic!!)

The list goes on - the things these landlords get away with!!!

• Banned

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004, 02:11:25 PM »

Hmmmm I don't know...I know they run on gas? Sorry, I don't know much about machinery! LOL

The damp is so bad in our bathroom (no fan at all!) that the top of the window, along the seal - is BLACK.  I have tried to clean it - but it's set in the paint now!  I can't wait to move!!!

I don't know where you guys live - but I am in North Somerset...is it true that it's more damp in the south of England than up north?

If you were near me Caitlinn, I could help you with that extra set of hands!   :)  Just my personal vendetta against DAMP! LOL

To answer some of your questions:

The the dryers in laundrettes I have been to (and I think these are probably typical) use gas and are not condensing. The are vented to the outside world. Drive past one on a cold day and see the clouds of steam.

We have a bit of a problem with damp in one bedroom with an ensuite bathroom/shower. One way I have discovered to get rid of the black stuff caused by dampness is to wipe it down with bleach. It kills the fungus and helps prevent it coming back. I think there are some proprietary products on the market (Polycell sp? I think), but I haven't tried it.

For rainfall its more of an east/west variation than a north south one and the west gets more rain than the east. The prevailing wind in UK is from the west and it picks up moisture from the Atlantic and it hits the west first.

Can't do a lot about the hands, sorry !

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab