Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Renewing US passport after getting UK citizenship?  (Read 762 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
Renewing US passport after getting UK citizenship?
« on: June 03, 2006, 08:34:04 PM »
It is time for me to renew my US passport.  In the time since I got my last passport, I got UK citizenship.  I was not naturalized--I am a citizen by decent through my mother.  But when I went to get the certificate I had to make some kind of oath to the queen thing.  I don't remember exactly what I had to say.

On the US passport renewal form, under Acts & Conditions, it explains that by signing the form I am attesting that
"I have not, since acquiring United States citizenship, been naturalized as a citizen of a foreign state; taken an oath or made an affirmation or other formal declaration of allegiance to a foreign state; ..."

It says that if this is not true, I need to attach some explanation.

What have others done?  Does getting my certificate of UK citizenship and going through the ceremony mean I can't just sign?  Do I need to attach an explanation?  If anyone has attached an explanation, has it caused problems?

TIA!
Liz

Re: Renewing US passport after getting UK citizenship?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 11:32:37 PM »
I'm an American by birth, but have my British citizenship by descent through my mum. I never got any sort of certificate, just applied for my British passport and got it. So I'd think you'd be ok in renewing your US passport since technically you've been British since birth, but I'm not so sure.

• Hi there.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 11:18:23 PM »
I'm concerned that the oath I took before they handed over the certificate violates the second item on the list.  Really, it seems that it does, but I am hoping I am wrong.

Anyone else done this?
Liz

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 04:11:23 AM »
I'm concerned that the oath I took before they handed over the certificate violates the second item on the list.  Really, it seems that it does, but I am hoping I am wrong.

Anyone else done this?

From the US government state department...

As already noted, the actions listed above can cause loss of U.S. citizenship only if performed voluntarily and with the intention of relinquishing U.S. citizenship. The Department has a uniform administrative standard of evidence based on the premise that U.S. citizens intend to retain United States citizenship when they obtain naturalization in a foreign state, subscribe to routine declarations of allegiance to a foreign state, or accept non-policy level employment with a foreign government.

Here is the site: http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_778.html

You can only lose you citizenship IF you intended to do so when taking your oath.  You obviously didn't intend to do that and as long as you do not accept an government office that sets policy, you are fine.  You obviously did become a citizen though and made an allegience.  I would simply attach a letter explaining that you became a British citizen via your birthrights and took the routine oath, but in doing so you had no intention of giving up your US citizenship.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Hi there.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 07:56:39 PM »
Thank you!  I will attach the explanation and the note about my intent.
Liz

Sponsored Links