Hello

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
* We currently don't live together, though we are starting to talk about how/when we'd like to do that. For purposes of the visa application,  I think we still need to show evidence of cohabitation even if we're legally married? I'm guessing that we'd need to be living together for at least a few months to accumulate letters / documents showing us both at the same address?

No, if you are married (and you are switching from a work visa to a family visa) you do not need to have lived together before applying.

If you have lived together, then great - you can show evidence of that, as well as evidence of your relationship prior to marrying.

If you haven’t lived together yet, you just show the evidence of your relationship while not living together. 

* Is there anything else we need to consider in terms of proving a "real" relationship? Will it be seen as suspicious if we get married too close to the time of my visa application, or too close to the time my current visa expires?

As long as you show that the relationship is genuine by providing evidence for the entire time you have been a couple, it won’t be an issue.

* We are unlikely to meet the income requirement at the time we apply. He's been a freelancer but has been struggling this year and has finally just signed on / is looking for full-time employment. Hopefully he'll find something, but honestly from what I've experienced on the job market and seen others go through, I would not be surprised if it takes a year or more. (It took me a year and a half after graduation to get my first job in my field.

I'm currently employed on a temp contract that's coming to an end, and I have seriously been considering moving back into freelancing, which I think I could actually succeed at given where I'm at in my career and the contacts I've made over the past few years. I would far prefer going down this route; I'm excited thinking about it! But that means I also wouldn't meet the income requirement, because it looks like you need to show evidence of a full year (at least) as a sole trader.

However, I DO have enough savings in a US bank account to meet the savings requirement, on my own (over £88,500).  But would it not look bad on my application if neither of us is "properly" employed? Or do they truly not care if I just show I have the money and it's accessible? 

Nope, it won’t look bad at all. All they care about is that you meet the requirement under any of the financial categories.

Savings is the easiest way to qualify, and it requires the least amount of evidence, which is why I usually recommend using savings instead of employment if at all possible.

If you have more than the minimum amount needed (£88,500), then go for it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Visas & Citizenship / Re: ILR, BRP and e-Visa Issue
« Last post by ksand24 on Today at 11:51:24 AM »
I’m not actually sure, to be honest.

I would assume that not many people have the paper ILR these days, as a BRP is now required in order to keep working in the UK (employers cannot accept paper ILRs as proof of right to work anymore), and I guess a good number of people apply for citizenship once they have ILR.

Doing a quick Google search though, I’ve found this gov.uk blog post from April 2024 which mentions how to access eVisas for people who have ILR stickers in their passports:

https://homeofficemedia.blog.gov.uk/2024/04/17/media-factsheet-evisas/

From that page:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, looking for advice on how to plan for a marraige visa application next year! My situation:

* Entered UK in Oct 2017 as a PhD student
* Graduated in 2022, received 3-year Graduate Visa in July 2022
* Was living with a partner and planning unmarried partner visa, but the relationship broke up
* Started dating new partner (UK citizen) in July 2023

My partner and I want to stay here, moving to the US isn't an option for him for various reasons. We've agreed that while it's rushed, getting legally married / civil partnered and applying for a visa on that basis is the best option available, so we're starting to make plans for that. My questions:

* We currently don't live together, though we are starting to talk about how/when we'd like to do that. For purposes of the visa application,  I think we still need to show evidence of cohabitation even if we're legally married? I'm guessing that we'd need to be living together for at least a few months to accumulate letters / documents showing us both at the same address?

* Is there anything else we need to consider in terms of proving a "real" relationship? Will it be seen as suspicious if we get married too close to the time of my visa application, or too close to the time my current visa expires?

* We are unlikely to meet the income requirement at the time we apply. He's been a freelancer but has been struggling this year and has finally just signed on / is looking for full-time employment. Hopefully he'll find something, but honestly from what I've experienced on the job market and seen others go through, I would not be surprised if it takes a year or more. (It took me a year and a half after graduation to get my first job in my field.)

I'm currently employed on a temp contract that's coming to an end, and I have seriously been considering moving back into freelancing, which I think I could actually succeed at given where I'm at in my career and the contacts I've made over the past few years. I would far prefer going down this route; I'm excited thinking about it! But that means I also wouldn't meet the income requirement, because it looks like you need to show evidence of a full year (at least) as a sole trader.

However, I DO have enough savings in a US bank account to meet the savings requirement, on my own (over £88,500).  But would it not look bad on my application if neither of us is "properly" employed? Or do they truly not care if I just show I have the money and it's accessible? 

Thanks so much for any help anyone can give!
Erin
Travel and Transport / Re: Driving lessons and practical test
« Last post by durhamlad on Today at 11:04:27 AM »
I had an introductory lesson / assessment, and ... WOW. I broke down crying, it was so stressful. The instructor told me he sees it all the time with immigrant students - we know how to drive, but we don't know the rules of the test, which is a completely different thing. I still don't understand some of the specific things I was doing "wrong" - there are so many granular rules about exactly how to position your car and where to look (and how to telegraph your movement to show where you're looking and that you've seen things) that I actually felt unsafe driving, because I was so focused on following the rules that I wasn't actually able to take in my environment and just...drive safely! He estimated I'd need 20 hours of instruction to pass the test. I found the whole thing so overwhelming that I am seriously reconsidering whether or not I actually need a licence. (Not to mention, that much instruction is an expense I was not prepared for this year!) Oof.

Our daughter just gave us a lift to the  train station and my wife and I were just saying how much more relaxed she is driving now. She passed her test last year after lots of stressful months
Travel and Transport / Re: Driving lessons and practical test
« Last post by Erin on Today at 10:30:36 AM »
I had an introductory lesson / assessment, and ... WOW. I broke down crying, it was so stressful. The instructor told me he sees it all the time with immigrant students - we know how to drive, but we don't know the rules of the test, which is a completely different thing. I still don't understand some of the specific things I was doing "wrong" - there are so many granular rules about exactly how to position your car and where to look (and how to telegraph your movement to show where you're looking and that you've seen things) that I actually felt unsafe driving, because I was so focused on following the rules that I wasn't actually able to take in my environment and just...drive safely! He estimated I'd need 20 hours of instruction to pass the test. I found the whole thing so overwhelming that I am seriously reconsidering whether or not I actually need a licence. (Not to mention, that much instruction is an expense I was not prepared for this year!) Oof.
Visas & Citizenship / Re: ILR, BRP and e-Visa Issue
« Last post by movilla on Today at 10:21:17 AM »
I found the article you're referring to at https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/18/digital-visa-switch-uk-immigrants-december-deadline

Right now applying for an eVisa is invite only, for people who have a BRP card. My wife got the email a few days ago and we got the eVisa sorted yesterday. The article mentions the process opening up to all BRP holders later in the summer but no mention of people with paper ILRs.

The application process (sign up at https://www.gov.uk/get-access-evisa, more details at https://www.gov.uk/evisa) allows you to sign up using either a BRP or a passport. I guess your old passport is now expired but I think it's worth trying to signing up at some point by your passport, and see what happens ( you will need to also download the 'UK Immigration: ID Check' app to scan the passport/BRP and take a selfie. I saw 2 on Apple App store, but the one UKVI refer to is the purple coloured one).

Having said that, I don't know whether UKVI stores details of paper ILR holders with BRP-based ILR in the same system. One for ksand24 and larrabee?

M.
Visas & Citizenship / Re: E Visa
« Last post by movilla on Today at 07:09:49 AM »
We got our eVisa sorted the next day. So in hindsight the only issue was locating the actual BRP chip (invisible on the rear of the card)
Visas & Citizenship / ILR, BRP and e-Visa Issue
« Last post by lotrfan on Yesterday at 08:19:56 PM »
I was a bit surprised to read in the Observer today about ILR, BRP and e-Visas. Up until today, I have never heard anything about BRPs or e_Visas even though I have been required to prove my identity and right to stay in the UK for numerous issues such as banking, marriage, etc.

Some pertinent background before my questions…

I am a USC.  I have lived and worked in the UK from 1991 to 2013 when I retired from my position at a UK University. I received my ILR in 1998 while working at that University.  I am married to a UKC.  Since retiring in 2013, I have not travelled out of the UK.

After spending the last few hours reading quite a few articles from UKVI and further afield, my ILR is apparently called the old version as it is a piece of paper and a vignette in one of my old passports. It states I have indefinite leave to remain along with a few requirements such as not leaving the country for a continuous period of 2 years, etc.

The first questions I have are as follows:

-   It is my choice to elect/to not elect to transfer my “old” ILR to a BRP through the NTL (no time limit) application.  Correct?
-   I see those with BRPs are being required to file for e-Visas.  Does this then mean that “old” ILR are now required to do the same?
-   Are we looking at a possible Windrush II scenario if someone on the “old” ILR attempts to travel outside of the UK and is refused re-entry as they may not have an e-Visa though my have the letter and the vignette.
-   Any other constructive comments are very welcome. 

I will eventually approach the UKVI about this situation but I am running this by the forum first for first hand" experiences, etc.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for comments/advice
« Last post by movilla on May 18, 2024, 03:12:39 PM »
Do the latest BRP cards have an actual physical chip? There's none on the back and on the front above my wife's photo is an image of a chip. Is that it? Scanning around that part did not recognise anything.

I think we found the chip is on the back but invisible. Thanks UKVI. However, we're still going around in circles, returning to the 'Link your eVisa' page and having to Confirm Identity again. I think we've been here around 10 times. But I think we're also locked out for 24 hours. This is super frustrating for something that should be so simple.
« Last post by movilla on May 18, 2024, 02:27:54 PM »
My wife got the email about registering for an eVisa and we've just spent an hour going around in circles on the Gov website. I thought I would register by BRP card (you get a choice of BRP or Passport) but when using the UK Immigration: ID Check app to scan details, as well as front and back of the BRP card it asks to scan the chip, which isn't there. We try to scan the passport and do a selfie but then we land back on the Gov site asking us to sign in again and to again take photos. After about 6 tries we seemed to have locked ourselves out and have to try again tomorrow.

Do the latest BRP cards have an actual physical chip? There's none on the back and on the front above my wife's photo is an image of a chip. Is that it? Scanning around that part did not recognise anything.

M.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10