Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello! International couple looking for advice/stories :)  (Read 4400 times)

• LDR in the early stages of closing the gap
  • Liked: 0
Re: Hello! International couple looking for advice/stories :)
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2022, 01:25:46 AM »
The applicant's income does not count for the spouse visa. Once he's in the UK with the right to work, then it does count.
There is an ancestry visa actually but it is only for commonwealth (and related) citizens and you need a British grandparent.

Yeah I figured the ancestry visa wouldn't apply, it's silly how it doesn't apply for British ancestors of other countries, especially considering just how many Americans are of British ancestry...

Yeah, it is over the top - and the reason it's over the top is because a few years ago the UK government pledged to reduce non-EU immigration to less than 100,000 people per year... at the time, they couldn't do anything about the number of EEA citizens moving here because we were still in the EU, so they cracked down on all the other visas instead, making it as hard as possible for people to qualify for work visas and spousal visas.

I seem to remember that they estimated that the new £18,600 income requirement would prevent 45% of would-be spousal visa applicants from being able to qualify to join their families in the UK!

So, for employment income at least, unless your boyfriend is already living in the UK with a visa that allows him to work, only your UK income can be considered for the first visa. Then once you have the first spousal visa and he is living and working in the UK, his income can combined with yours, or just used alone to meet the requirements for the next visa extension applications... because his spousal visa will allow work in the UK.

If he were to manage to get company sponsorship for a work visa and move to the UK on that visa, he could switch to the spousal FLR visa once he met the income requirement from the UK employment... but if he is applying for the spousal visa from the US without having a valid UK work visa already, only your employment income can be considered.

It's so odd to be targeting families when trying to reduce immigration! You'd think they'd be targeting workers more than anything, but entering on a work visa is fairly straightforward and it only takes a couple hundred £ and about 3 weeks processing time afaik...

Whereas a spousal visa has so many more restrictions, it's much more expensive, and it takes multiple weeks, plus now they're doubling down on it because of the Ukraine crisis so the processing times are even longer... It really seems like they're out to get families for some reason :(

His visa won't even allow him to work, not the fiancé visa anyway, he will only be able to work once we finalise everything, and how am I supposed to support both of us through that while in full time education? I have no idea...

We would definitely rather go for a work visa, but it just does not seem to be possible, we've looked for weeks for a sponsor and called just about every single sponsor in the region and none of them hire...

It’s also hard that there is no mercy for so many other circumstances.

As my parents (in the USA) age, there is ZERO way I could have them join me and my family (I’m a long term U.K. resident now and British citizen).  LITERALLY my only option is to return to the USA to help.  There used to be a “golden visa” for £2 million pounds but that was stopped to prevent oligarchs from taking advantage of a safe haven.

And if you have children here, they aren’t automatically British. I had a friend who both she and her husband were American. They lived in the U.K. for 9 years (max allowed on their work visa at the time). One child born here, the other was in England from age 4 to 13.  And they all just had to leave.  It’s very black and white. It’s very hard.

You’ll find none of us are fans of all the rules… most of which make no sense.

Where are you studying and what are you studying?  Let’s turn this a bit more positive!  What’s your home country?  What is the Jack Russell’s name?  Boy/girl?  U.K. or USA for residence?

That is awful! Is the dependant visa not an option for you? It sounds like it's exactly suited for your situation: gov.uk/uk-family-visa/adult-dependent-relative

The laws here concerning families are quite worrying...

I am from Hungary originally and I study Data Science :) I'm only year 2 so it'll be a while before I graduate unfortunately, would've been helpful to have the qualifications right now.

Our dog's name is Max, he's just turned 10 years old this week :) We're not sure where we're gonna settle down, but we'll stay in the UK while I finish uni at least!

• Liked: 3598
Hello! International couple looking for advice/stories [emoji4]
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2022, 06:57:40 AM »
It's so odd to be targeting families when trying to reduce immigration! You'd think they'd be targeting workers more than anything, but entering on a work visa is fairly straightforward and it only takes a couple hundred £ and about 3 weeks processing time afaik...

It wasn’t the cost or the processing time that they restricted for work visas, it was how to qualify for one in the first place.

They closed several of the easier work visa routes, and then made it more difficult to qualify for all the other ones.

For example, in order to get sponsorship for a work visa, the job had to either:

- be listed on the Skills Shortage List, at a particular skill level and salary

Or

- the employer had to prove they couldn’t find a single qualified UK or EU worker (out of 500 million people), before they were allowed to hire someone from outside the EEA… which basically meant that unless you worked in a position that was so highly-skilled that only a handful of people in the entire world were qualified to do the job (such as a world-renowned doctor, a scientist, academic professor, top business executive etc.), you would not be able to get sponsorship for a work visa.

I have a friend from the US who has undergrad and masters degrees, and she tried for years to qualify for a UK work visa, with no luck at all… her profession (journalist) was not on the Skills Shortage List, so no company would sponsor her, and the work visa she would have qualified for without needing employer sponsorship (Tier 1 General) was abolished before she could apply for it.

She had several successful interviews, but the companies were like: “sorry, we’re not allowed to sponsor you for a work visa but if you can get another visa that allows you to work in the UK, we can hire you once you are living here”.

She gave up on moving to the UK and started looking for a new job in the US instead.

His visa won't even allow him to work, not the fiancé visa anyway, he will only be able to work once we finalise everything, and how am I supposed to support both of us through that while in full time education? I have no idea...

The point is that you are not supposed to be able to.

The visa qualification rules are such that almost no one is able to qualify to sponsor a spousal visa while being a full-time student… unless of course they are rich with large amounts of cash savings they can use.

The only other way to qualify would be if you and/or your boyfriend has £18,600 per year in NON-employment income that will continue once he moves to the UK, for example:
- rent from property you own
- interest from stocks and shares
- interest from savings
- Child Maintenance payments
- annual PhD stipend

That is awful! Is the dependant visa not an option for you? It sounds like it's exactly suited for your situation: gov.uk/uk-family-visa/adult-dependent-relative

The adult dependent relative visa is for people who cannot take care of themselves and rely 100% on the UK sponsor for financial and physical support.

In order to qualify, they must not be able to work or earn money themselves and have no savings or any other money of their own, have to be unable to do daily tasks like feed or dress themselves, and they need round-the-clock care. They also must have no way of accessing the care they need in their home country, or have any living relatives there who can take care of them, meaning they HAVE to come to the UK to be taken care of, or they will not survive.

There used to be a ‘Retired Person of Independent Means’ visa which they could have used to come to the UK in the past (as long as they could show they could support themselves without needing to claim UK government benefits), but that visa type was also abolished several years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 08:00:53 AM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 4990
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2022, 11:20:56 AM »

The laws here concerning families are quite worrying...

I am from Hungary originally and I study Data Science :) I'm only year 2 so it'll be a while before I graduate unfortunately, would've been helpful to have the qualifications right now.

Our dog's name is Max, he's just turned 10 years old this week :) We're not sure where we're gonna settle down, but we'll stay in the UK while I finish uni at least!

Yes there is a visa category but it is a RARE case that it is approved.  And it'll never be approved from the USA as there is Social Security and Medicare.  It's also a weird visa where you have to prove that the relative cannot afford care in their home country but you CAN afford care in the UK.  In other words, if you can afford to have your adult dependent move to the UK, you can afford care in their home country, so no one qualifies. 

I haven't been to Hungry but know some lovely people who are from there.  Glad to know you have Max with you. 

Have you looked at immigration for your boyfriend to Hungry?  May be a bit easier.  Alternatively, he could sponsor you to move to the USA.  Just a few other options.  You'll get there.  It's just not likely to be quick or easy.  I'm so sorry that it's that way.

• LDR in the early stages of closing the gap
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2022, 08:41:29 AM »
Yes there is a visa category but it is a RARE case that it is approved.  And it'll never be approved from the USA as there is Social Security and Medicare.  It's also a weird visa where you have to prove that the relative cannot afford care in their home country but you CAN afford care in the UK.  In other words, if you can afford to have your adult dependent move to the UK, you can afford care in their home country, so no one qualifies. 

I haven't been to Hungry but know some lovely people who are from there.  Glad to know you have Max with you. 

Have you looked at immigration for your boyfriend to Hungry?  May be a bit easier.  Alternatively, he could sponsor you to move to the USA.  Just a few other options.  You'll get there.  It's just not likely to be quick or easy.  I'm so sorry that it's that way.

It would actually be more difficult to go to Hungary together, the immigration laws are even stricter there.
Besides, it kind of defeats the point as he would like to be with me through uni, because we're not finding LDR easy, I'd either have to quit or wait until I finish and neither is really an option.
Max is with him in America, so we have to worry about puppy immigration too but that's the least of our worries right now haha

• Liked: 6112
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2022, 08:47:44 AM »
It would actually be more difficult to go to Hungary together, the immigration laws are even stricter there.

Interesting. What are the requirements there?

• Liked: 4990
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2022, 09:16:20 AM »
The USA is a bit easier.  Can take longer to get the visa but as your boyfriend is employed, he can sponsor you.  Or he can have a family member sponsor (third party sponsor) which isn't an option in the UK.  Could you change to a US University?

• Liked: 1894
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2022, 05:48:57 PM »
Or stop going to University at all, especially for data science.  I'd bet you could do some self learning through online courses and then just get a job as a junior data scientist at a company.  You'd save a ton of student debt and start earning earlier.  You'd actually learn just the skills you need while on the job rather than learning a bunch of out of date stuff in a classroom. 

Mind you, I haven't thought about this as much as you should, but I am a data engineer and have worked with plenty of data scientists.  I also went to college as well so am a bit uneasy about telling others not to.  But, right now the data science market is hot and you can find a job, college or not.    Just a thought, but what about quitting school, moving to Ireland or Amsterdam with your boyfriend, getting married and forget all about the foreigner hating UK.   

Jobs in software are about what you can do, not where you went to school. 

Sponsored Links