Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting Established (Fiancé Visa)  (Read 2030 times)

• Liked: 5
Re: Getting Established (Fiancé Visa)
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 02:21:02 PM »
Also, if I'm planning to change my surname following my marriage, do I go through the process of changing the name on my passport prior to our FLR application?
Visa: Fiancée Visa (Settlement - Marriage) Non-Priority
Application Submitted Online: 02 Feb 2019
Biometrics: 06 Feb 2019
Documents Received in Sheffield: 07 Mar 2019 / 21WD
Decision Made: 11 April 2019 / 46WD

Arrived on Fiancé Visa: 18 April 2019
Wedding: 1 August 2019
FLR(M) Application: 17 September 2019
Biometrics (Manchester): 4 October 2019
Result: Approved: 4 November 2019

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 03:50:20 PM »
Also, if I'm planning to change my surname following my marriage, do I go through the process of changing the name on my passport prior to our FLR application?

Yes, you will need to change your name in your passport before you apply, because your visa can only be issued in the name on your passport.

It’s also a big hassle to change it after you have FLR(M), because if you do it after you have the visa, you have to change your name on your BRP as well, which costs about £160 and can take 2 months to be processed.

So, the easiest thing is to change your name on your passport first (takes 3-4 weeks I think) and then just apply for FLR(M) in your new name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 03:50:48 PM »

The name on your visa must match the name on your passport.  So if you want your visa to be in your new name, you will need to get the new passport before you apply for FLR(M).

I think the only other thing I would say is get that correspondence as quickly as you can.  Do whatever you can to generate post to the both of you, and apply for FLR(M) as soon as you're able to.  Your 5-year-clock for ILR starts with the issuance of your first FLR(M), and the sooner you get ILR, the sooner you can breathe again.  You won't fully appreciate "free from immigration control" until you have it, but they are magical words that feel like a huge burden has been lifted.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 03:52:43 PM »
Yes, I understand and won't be waiting the full 6 months to apply for FLR. It will more depend on how quickly we can get the full 6 pieces of communication with our names and address listed, but we'll apply no later than 4 1/2 months into the fiancé visa.

You don’t actually HAVE to have 6 items of communication. Most people on fiancé visas won’t have 6 because they’ve only recently arrived in the U.K. and have not had time to gather 6 items yet.

So, you just need to provide as many as you do have, and then include a letter explaining that you have only recently arrived in the U.K. and have not had time to collect 6 items yet. This is common and won’t be an issue.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 11:55:19 PM »
You don’t actually HAVE to have 6 items of communication. Most people on fiancé visas won’t have 6 because they’ve only recently arrived in the U.K. and have not had time to gather 6 items yet.

So, you just need to provide as many as you do have, and then include a letter explaining that you have only recently arrived in the U.K. and have not had time to collect 6 items yet. This is common and won’t be an issue.

Yep. Got married on May 13th. Changed my name on my passport (Took 4 days with a walk in appointment in Edinburgh) then applied for my FLR(M) in early June. I only had a couple of pieces of mail. It is no issue at all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab