Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things that should be banned  (Read 3830 times)

Things that should be banned
« on: January 09, 2010, 04:21:16 PM »
This has been annoying me and upsetting me for sometime now, so thought I'd make a thread here in regards to it

So, What things you think that should be banned in the UK/US/Worldwide for moral reasons.

Mine? Greyhound racing.
We have two greyhounds that we rescued, before we adopted them they were treated horribly and one of them was literally on deaths door.
Its absolutley disgusting what greyhounds have to go through in the racing industry

Tens of thousands of dogs are disposed of every year by the British greyhound racing industry - because they fail to make the grade as racers or when their racing days are over. How are they "disposed" of? Either by shooting them in their head, tieing a brick around their neck and thrown in the water, hung or poisoned!

Greyhounds are for life, not for racing

Re: Things that should be banned
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 07:09:52 PM »
I so agree; they are such beautiful creatures. My friend has 4 lurchers (as pets) and he has told me some of the terrible things that go on. He said that you should not feed a "long dog" exclusively on meat as it can make their bones very prone to breaking, especially the legs. They need a good amount of cereal, wheatgerm oil, and a pregnant bítch* needs an egg every day. A can of sardines won't hurt either.

* That is the proper word for a female canine, and I make no apologies whatsoever for using it.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 08:40:08 PM by Trémula »

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 07:52:03 PM »
dog breeding in general gives me mix feelings, in my job I always have to due stories on puppy mills and horror stories of in-breeding. For people who say they love animals so much will take part in some terrible things. There was an article in the paper this week about the percent of animals bought from mills and people don't know it (most times they were sold from paper ads, online ads, even breeders that take the puppies into their home to give the illusion that they aren't farmed). I knew this was a big problem in the states, its sad to see it happens here too
Exchange student visa 08/02 | Bunac visa 05/03 | Student visa 08/03 | Work visa 07/07  |  Married Stateside 27/09/09 | Spousal visa 04/11/09 | Returned to UK 5/12/09 | Settlement Visa (ILR) via post 05/12 | British Citizenship Checking Appointment 13/06/13 | Payment/Process notification 18/06/13 | British Citizenship approved 28/06/13 | Ceremony 21/08/2013 BRITISH CITIZEN!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 08:04:39 PM »
* That is the proper word for a female canine, and I make no apologies whatsoever for using it.

Would anyone give you a hard time over that?  ??? My father (in the US) always used this term in reference to female dogs, and my husband and FIL do here in UK, so I thought it was pretty typical on both sides of the pond.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 08:47:27 PM »
Would anyone give you a hard time over that?  ??? My father (in the US) always used this term in reference to female dogs, and my husband and FIL do here in UK, so I thought it was pretty typical on both sides of the pond.

And so it used to be. This forum censors the word by replacing the letter 'i' with an apostrophe. So you have to use another letter than Anglo-Saxon dotted 'i'. For most of my life, the word bítch was just the name for female canines, just like mare, hen, ewe, sow, etc are for their respective animals. Used against a female person, it was (and is) a terribly rude insult. Just lately however, it seems to have become just a 'bad word', that is, a word which shocks some people even when used with its proper meaning, so that it has to be spelled with stars like f*ck and sh*t etc. Personally I think this is dumb.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 09:17:30 PM »
Unfortunately the censor, being electronic, does not have the brain to discern when a person is talking about a female canine or when a person might be insulting a female human. Ergo, it censors all uses of the word. It's nothing to do with being overly PC or prim.

Back to the topic ... it annoys me that when some cruel practices are banned, those indulging with them carry on regardless. I'm thinking of fox hunting and dog fighting in particular.  At least with dog fighting, there have been prosecutions but fox hunting? No-one seems to give a damn really. I don't know what that point of banning it was, if the ban is not going to be enforced.

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 09:18:35 PM »
Let's not turn this into a nitpick the forum session, shall we? Most forums I'm on now censor bad language. Unfortunately, the programming isn't smart enough to recognize a correct, appropriate usage. There's another exampe of this that is even stupider than what Tremula mentions, but it's escaping me at the moment.

x-posted with Shabanou

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 09:29:45 PM »
I am a member of another forum where you can go into your profile and choose whether or not to have words which are on the profanity list censored... Still, back to the topic of animal cruelty. I and my partner are both deeply opposed to fox hunting, dog racing, hare coursing, circuses with performing animals, and we are pretty much opposed to zoos, and in principle, I suppose, angling, although I find it hard to work up a head of indignation against it. I know I wouldn't like a hook to come out of the sky hidden in a meal and whisk me out of my world.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 10:06:27 PM »
I and my partner are both deeply opposed to fox hunting, dog racing, hare coursing, circuses with performing animals, and we are pretty much opposed to zoos, and in principle, I suppose, angling, although I find it hard to work up a head of indignation against it. I know I wouldn't like a hook to come out of the sky hidden in a meal and whisk me out of my world.

ditto,me and my partner are the same. Besides being huge greyhound lovers and anti-dog racing. We are also against circuses with performing animals, its horrible how they are treated. forced to perform for the enjoyment of others,its sickening.
Also during Christmas they had a Santas Grotto around here advertising a "real reindeer" there. We were appalled at that. Why drag a reindeer around for the entertainment of others
I posted on the "more then an IA" thread about this, but that movie "every which way you can" with clint eastwood,the orangutan "Clyde" was beaten to death by his trainers for stealing donuts on the set of the movie. No  charges were filed because back then there was no law against cruelty against primates.

• Live every week like it's Shark Week.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 11:36:55 PM »
 I think that raising animals for their fur should be banned. You want to buy fur? Buy faux or vintage. It's common knowledge how inhumanely the animals are treated and I don't see how one could wear it in good conscience. 

Also, the words "chillax" and "staycation" should be banned.
Here we go:

17 AUG 2009- Applied online
20 AUG 2009- Biometrics
24 Aug- Sent everything to expediter
26 Aug-Application taken to consulate
26 Aug-Fiancee visas approved!!!
 2 Sep-Moved to UK!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 11:53:07 PM »

I can get behind that.  :)

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 03:35:21 PM »
I don't know anyone who supports animal abuse....but why can't we get rid of it?

I think idiots should be banned from owning animals - I think you should be banned if you don't treat animals well then you get strike maybe 2 after that you are banned from having animals PERIOD!

People drive with dogs in pick up trucks down freeways, leave animals outside in below freezing weather on a chain with a frozen water bowl..ok I cant get started as I get super MAD...

I LOVE animals - I even have dog paw prints tattooed on my hip in reference to my first dog Sparky ;-)

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 03:42:19 PM »
People drive with dogs in pick up trucks down freeways, leave animals outside in below freezing weather on a chain with a frozen water bowl..ok I cant get started as I get super MAD...

Could not agree more!! Animal abuse or animals being hurt in any way, shape, or form fires me up unbearably - I even have a bit of a phobia about hitting anything in a car ever since I saw a cat get run over when I was little. My next tattoo is likely to involve paw prints as well.  :D

But yes, I agree with all that's been said - fox hunting, hare coursing, fur trade, puppy farming, circuses, greyhound racing, veal farming, etc. - totally and completely against all of it.

Oh god, that's another topic entirely. Don't even get me started with all of the ridiculous "words" that deserve banning!!!

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 03:56:09 PM »
I think idiots should be banned from owning animals - I think you should be banned if you don't treat animals well then you get strike maybe 2 after that you are banned from having animals PERIOD!

The law in the UK does allow this. A quick Google for "banned from owning animals" will show you stories like the guy from Loughborough who was given a 12 week prison sentence (suspended because he admitted the offence), ordered to pay £500 court costs, and banned from owning animals for life.

There is a directgov page about animal ownership - I didn't know that all donkeys must have a passport!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/AnimalsAndPets/index.htm

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 04:33:49 PM »
Same here in GA (I'm pretty sure). But what's to stop these people from picking up stray animals to train for their dog fighting or whatever? Unfortunately, there's no policing the matter.

Just curious, how do y'all feel about eating animals or raising animals for meat?
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

Sponsored Links